MangaDex v5 Dev Suggestions: The Real Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
πŸ‘ legacy πŸ‘ reader πŸ‘ please πŸ‘

Or at least something that emulates it without all the distracting pizazz and features of the current and new readers.

I really like the fact that it loads all the pages at once and doesn’t have anything on the right side, so tablet reading is easy without remembering to turn off tap/swipe features.

Dex-chan lover
Problem found: Rating bombers.

Multiple accounts who only hit +10 or +1 on manga, distorting ratings.
-problem is if someone's not willing to actually give honest ratings to what they read, or ONLY wish to give ratings to the bad/good, is giving the ratings system here Bad image.

Potential Solution?
Any account who's sole rating they give is 10 or 1 should be removed from displayed ratings as to give "more" accurate feel for the community's feeling for the manga in question.
or another rating value that takes in consideration of the bombers and 'accounts' for their spam.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@DbHuntzz posted:

Just a minor thing that makes me slightly annoyed, any chance of making the reload image button restart the buffer, in case of failing to load multiple pages?
Can't really see why we need to press the same function for each individual page.
Yeah, should probably do this.

@OnlyAlphanumericCharacters posted:

Does this mean the legacy reader is going away? Please no :(
Although if there's an API to get chapter & image info I won't mind so much.
That already exists though, where did you think the default reader gets its data?
https://mangadex.org/api/chapter/767727

@DarkFlame posted:

so without the update jargon... will the website load faster than it currently is (in regards to chapters loading)?
The images themselves? No, because the speed and capacity of the image servers have nothing to do with how the website is coded, but the initial load time for the reader should be improved.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Jumballi posted:

πŸ‘ legacy πŸ‘ reader πŸ‘ please πŸ‘

Or at least something that emulates it without all the distracting pizazz and features of the current and new readers.

I really like the fact that it loads all the pages at once
This is (partly) what I'm planning on adding layout options for, since based on the vast majority of pro-legacy responses I've seen, it doesn't seem like people actually have anything against the default reader itself, they just don't happen to like how it looks

Additionally, I want to add a simple first-run wizard setup to ease users into learning about and picking their preferred layout and the other basic settings, so that'll make me far less concerned about the whole thing in general

Legacy loading all pages at once is one of its biggest problems and I don't understand in what world do people want their images to be slowly loaded in a completely random order instead of the order they're read in

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@hu74n posted:

fit page to window, and dex will become my main site.
What exactly do you mean by this? You can use fit to container, hide the navbar and press F11 to get fullscreen, if that's what you need.

Dex-chan lover
Can you let us add little personal notes to a story? Like on the title page of a manga make a new tab for notes. That way when we finish reading a manga we can write a little note to ourselves and when it gets updated a month later you can read your note to remember what the story is all about.

It's a little dumb but sometimes I find myself forgetting what the story was all about. So it would be nice.

As a suggestion, one of the think I would like is a system when there is a lot a chapters dropped by the group on the same manga, especially occurs in manga with shot chapters, maybe a system that put the reader on the last chapter that a read or maybe a notification when it happens. It has already happened to me a few times and it's always bummer, you feel kinda out of the story

Dex-chan lover
Optimized images: there is some pages that weight 30Mb, an option for resize images will be great for mobiles. Convert png to jpg will be great too.

SPA: if you want to make a fast SPA (in development & run time) you can use OnePagePHP for php (I don't know what language you are using), the router is very unstable(if you are using another framework probably you don't need it) but the renderer for SPA mode works great, I am the creator so you can get directly support from me ;)
https://github.com/marianocarrazana/OnePagePHP

Dex-chan lover
"People who rated this well also rated this well" on manga's pages would be nice.
It might cause privacy complaints, but certainly less than "people who read this also read that."
If reviews are implemented, I can't see anyone complaining about privacy issues with using those.

Power Uploader
People do realise you can preload all the images in the default reader, right?
Though maybe there should be a setting added to enable this for all instead of having to click it for every chapter?
dPtNTCD.png

ahhh i can't believe you guys are going ahead with the yuri/shojo ai && yaoi/shonen ai merge!! thanks

Something I’d like to see would be for the website to track read chapters for series I am not following. I’ll often read a bunch of chapters of a series before clicking the follow button, but the website doesn’t track those chapters as read until after I’ve followed!

@Plykiya Being able to sort by unread first is nice, but that still means it's displaying the already read manga. I really do want the read manga to be completely hidden.

I use https://mangadex.org/follows/chapters/1/1/ as a way to easily see updates to the manga I'm following. I only want to see unread manga there, so I know if I'm caught up or not. Sorting is only a half solution.

As an alternative, you could create a new "Updates" page, which would be similar to the current Follows page, except it only shows unread manga.

Dex-chan lover
What I would like to see off the top of my head:

Female and male mc tags, litrpg tag, ratings on front page, description search, fan summaries and/or reviews

Power Uploader
@plykiya: Additional and customizeable follow lists
Awww yeah! This sounds great!
When you say "customizeable", does that mean you'll be able to propagate a follow list based on a certain arrangement of inclusions and exclusions on the genres? Or is there going to be some other sort of customization options?
If it's the former, that's exactly what I'm looking for, a kind of "live follow" list, which will act more like a saved search filter, but can be displayed as a custom list on my profile.

If this is getting implemented, I'd like to also suggest the ability to add exceptions to genre filters.
So, for example, if I wanted to exclude all ecchi and hentai series except those that have the seinen tag. Or if I wanted to include all action and adventure series except for ones that have the loli tag.
Not sure how this could be set up, but perhaps it could just be a toggle for the current interface.
That is, you could have a setting that can be toggled between "prioritize inclusions", "prioritize exclusions", or "prioritize none" (which is how it currently works, I believe, and should probably be the default).
Prioritize inclusions would be for the first scenario, where I would be prioritizing including the seinen tag (or any other selected genres) over the exclusions I have set up.
Prioritize exclusions would be for the second scenario, where I would be prioritizing excluding loli, no matter if any of the tags I've included match. (perhaps this is actually the way the advanced search filters currently function? I'm not sure.)
Anyway, I hope you'll take this into consideration. πŸ˜€

Im glad about the sexual content rework, previously i was surprised when I saw BL in what i thought was just a normal manga, only to find out that there were two tags for it instead of one, now i can actually not go into a manga thinking it was only light hetero fanservice to finding out it was ecchi-er then i was expecting and gay. Also excited for author pages, can't wait to actually find all of Nisio Isin's manga-fied books this time.

Would it be possible to show the completed/ongoing status from the search page, so you don't have to click on the manga to see?
It would also be really helpful to give us the status of the scans, and not just the manga. Just a tip in the information section that lets us know if Mangadex has all of the chapters for this particular series (in our selected languages of course), if the scan group is on hiatus or not caught up, or just dropped it in general.

Not sure if this was posted here yet, but, could there be an option to sort by titles that have been completed? Kinda like in MAL. Preferably in both the follows list and the search. So for example, if i want to search through the top rated and then sort what's complete on top of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread