MangaDex v5 Dev Suggestions: The Real Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
I know it's not an easy task, but I would like a recommendation engine

It would be nice to have a list of all my post in the profile page

Separate and show the different "follow" stats of a manga: reading, on hold, planned and dropped.

Add "degrees" to the tags, 1 if it happens once or twice in the whole Manga, 2 if it happens often, 3 if it is a main theme of the manga.

Allow every registered user to upvote and downvote each tag and show the total (maybe in a hidden tab, like the rating distribution histogram): this could mitigate the tag editing wars. Look at the Kongregate tag system for reference.

Fed-Kun's army
Not sure if any of these have already been suggested here, but even so:

1:Option to toggle full chapter loading by default, so I don't have to keep changing the settings to preload just 20 pages every time I login.
2:Option to ignore multiple uploads by different groups of the same/previously read chapter from appearing on the follow tab.
3:Option to differentiate when searching between series that are completed just according to publication status, and series that are completed and fully scanlated. It always annoys me to read "completed" only to click on it and see that only 20 chapters out of 85 have been uploaded.

I don't know how feasable any of these changes are, but those are my thoughts.

Fed-Kun's army
Pls pls PLS, built-in image compression as an option. I understand that every group wants to deliver the best quality available, but for us peasants that view it on mobiles or smaller laptop monitors the wall billboard page sizes are wasted because they will be scaled down anyway.

1) Show follow / dropped status on https://mangadex.org/updates
2) A page showing only new titles, like on the front page but not limited to only 10

For a feature, it would be nice to have chapters for any manga I read tracked as "read" regardless of whether or not we are currently following the manga.

A typical use case for this feature would be when I'm browsing manga I've never read before and reading a few chapters before I decide to follow it or not. With the current version of MD, I'd have to go back to the chapter list and click the "follow" button before I can track which pages I've read up to that point.

I feel like chapter tracking being coupled to manga following is a little unintuitive, especially for folk like me who browse a ton of manga and read a bunch of chapters without first hitting the follow button. I'd still like to have all the chapters I've read tracked.

If I'm doing this wrong or this feature already exists and I'm just dumb please ignore this.

I would appreciate if the main "Updates" page would include the "read" or "unread" icon. I'd also like if there was some way to crunch the fields horizontally so that one extra-long title wouldn't cause the entire table to stretch off the screen.

I wish mangadex had some kind of scanlator request poll / interest for dropped translations or those wayy behind from the raws

I'm sorry if this has been asked before or is already in development (since i can't be bothered to read all comments)
It would be nice to have an indicator on the recent updates page to see if the manga has been added to the reading/plan to read list and/or change it on the updates page

I want the ability to bookmark my favorite pages from any manga. If there's a scene that I like for story reasons, or a panel I like for the art, it would be nice to have a bookmark option on the site so I don't have to recall things from memory and have to scroll through several chapter pages just to find what I was looking for.

I know I could just keep a text file on my end or maybe a bunch of bookmarks on my browser, but I think it would be better as a feature on the site.

Dex-chan lover
I would very much like to see an option added to the "follows" page which allows you to view only the latest, unread update from each series, and not ALL updates from each series.
I don't need all the chapters i've already read mixed in with those i haven't, that just makes it more difficult to find what i'm looking for amongst what is essentially a giant block of text.

I also wish that i didn't have to follow a series in order to mark it's chapters as read.
I shouldn't have to keep a series in my feed just so i can recognize whether or not i've read it before.

Torrents as on EH would be nice. So people don't have to script rape your servers to actually get their hands on a local backup.

0qc

Could you add per chapter author listings for anthologies? The way things work now they're a bit of a mess.

Dex-chan lover
One more suggestion, as I just checked out a manga that has/had a few groups(>2) working on it.
On the manga's chapter listing page, suggest to use a much thicker line in between chapters, or, no lines within a chapter. So one could visually differentiate chapters very easily, instead of looking at the chapter numbers.

Contributor
Could you add links to translations whose groups don’t want to upload on MD directly, like FA Scans? You know, like how MangaPlus is done.

@xyzzy that’s already sort of done with the ‘chapter delay feature’. Imho that’s a ton of work for the mods, since random users can’t be trusted to post links and the groups aren’t going to be happy managing their releases on another site. Seeing that most of those groups left because anyone could post their chapters in some cases and they don’t want to return to mangadex for ‘reasons’, even if it is probably to get more traffic for their site, only 2-3 groups will probably allow this.

Ask yourself this, if the mods are slow releasing one official sites chapters, would you be ok if it was 1000x the scale, but the same number of staff?

Fed-Kun's army
@AbyssalMonkey
Re: Scanlation completion, couldn't there theoretically be a way that could at least warn people when a completed series doesn't have all it's chapters uploaded yet? If the reader can already keep track of missing chapters then surely it should also be capable of looking at a completed series staus, looking at the fact that (for whatever reason) all chapters aren't uploaded and/or it doesnt have an "end" tag, and at least be able to say somewhere, preferably on the search menu and maybe just symbolised by an icon, "hey, this series is still missing chapters". Honestly I don't know why you can't see how many chapters are uploaded for a series on the search menu to begin with. For example, I like long series that have >50 chapters, but when I'm searching I can never tell how long a series is going to be until I click on it.

I'd like to be able to "follow" authors and artists, in order to see when they release a new manga.

Other than that, I really like the roadmap. Neat stuff coming in v5!

Aggregator gang
Bookmarks.

I think it's self explanatory: been able to resume a chapter from where you were reading last time, and dont automatically mark a chapter as read just by clicking the page 1.

Keep up the good work guys, you are our last haven!

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@phoenix_eD posted:

I have a suggestion.
The ability to switch one chapter across languages, while in the reader and while respecting user's chapter language setting. So, one do not have to go back to the manga page to read the chapter in the other language.
@zakuzakuzakuzaku posted:

Another simple one: To show the full chapter name when hovering in the "Follows" screen:
These are planned

@kenjumper posted:

For a feature, it would be nice to have chapters for any manga I read tracked as "read" regardless of whether or not we are currently following the manga.
This is at the moment planned to a certain extent. I'm pretty sure what we'll end up doing is mark chapters in your browser's local storage, possibly opening the feature up even for guests, but only persist followed manga on the server (and as such allow for syncing between devices etc).

@Monochrome_Scholar @AbyssalMonkey

When it comes to scanlation completion, nothing beats mangaupdates. However I don't think Mangadex is in the business of aggregating all that info. At best you could have the groups modify it when they know they've finished a series, but then you get into missing chapters and whether it's complete on the site or not. I think this is just due diligence on the readers side, like any other form of media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread