MangaDex v5 Dev Suggestions: The Real Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Custom title
Staff
Developer
@phoenix_eD posted:

One more suggestion, as I just checked out a manga that has/had a few groups(>2) working on it.
On the manga's chapter listing page, suggest to use a much thicker line in between chapters, or, no lines within a chapter. So one could visually differentiate chapters very easily, instead of looking at the chapter numbers.
Visual and functional improvements like this and various others are coming, yes

@xyzzy posted:

Could you add links to translations whose groups don’t want to upload on MD directly, like FA Scans? You know, like how MangaPlus is done.
Probably not, check mangaupdates instead, that's exactly what their site is for

The difference with MangaPlus is that they're an official source, and from what I know FA apparently wants nothing to do with us, to put it mildly

@AbyssalMonkey posted:

deleting a PM without reading it still doesn't mark it as "read". With the new Xenforo move, is this going to be fixed?
Every single current issue related to the forums or messaging in any way will be irrelevant with XF. I have no idea how it works though so I don't know if they even have read receipts for PMs.

@AbyssalMonkey posted:

They removed it to try and save spiked server load, and so a default is probably never coming back. Once again, people like their chapters loaded. lol.
Preloading everything by default is indeed probably not coming back (we don't want people downloading dozens of images without reading them) but increasing the preload limit may be something we could consider now that - I think - our image server situation is pretty stable compared to back then. Most "normal length" chapters hover around 20 pages so that's why we picked it, but maybe it could be bumped to 30 or so.

@madmccoy posted:

I'd like to be able to "follow" authors and artists, in order to see when they release a new manga.
Planned, in some capacity

Is the Legacy Reader staying intact? I'd be dissapointed if it's gone.

Also can we get an ignore button for individual manga? Just the genre isn't helping sometimes.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Monochrome_Scholar posted:

For example, I like long series that have >50 chapters, but when I'm searching I can never tell how long a series is going to be until I click on it.
If we listed the amount of chapters alongside a series information, what should that mean? Total chapters? Only "unique" chapters, regardless of group? Should we skip extras? Should the user's language filters be taken into account, which would make calculating the chapters every time especially demanding? If Ch.1 is in English and Ch.2 is in Spanish, is that two chapters or one?

Even if you had an answer to all these, how do you know everyone else would agree with you?

Frankly, unless we come up with a magic bullet for not only deciding what to do but also somehow caching this information, your convenience has to come second to the database server not being on fire.

Dex-chan lover
@Teasday
I'm pretty sure what we'll end up doing is mark chapters in your browser's local storage, possibly opening the feature up even for guests, but only persist followed manga on the server (and as such allow for syncing between devices etc).
That sounds ideal from a user perspective. Will it "commit" the read progress from the current device when the user switches to following? For example, if they read the first few chapters before deciding to follow?

Dex-chan lover
I would really appreciate it if the follows tab shows you that multiple chapters been uploaded. A lot of times when I click on the chapter in my follow tab, it would take me to the last chapter of the batch. It would either have spoilers or I'll be completely lost before realizing that a batch of chapters were uploaded at once.

Double-page supporter
Since the new site will be in Vue, why not use Nuxt.js ? Or is SSR not the best choice for Mangadex?

Personally, I would really appreciate a dark mode for the reader. Basically just black background instead of white

Miku best girl
Admin
@xyzzy

If you enable the display of unavailable chapters, you should see them in the listing, at least the chapters uploaded before the group left the site. Sometimes the mods carry on uploading the chapters as unavailable after the group leaves (in case the group changes their mind or goes inactive in future), but that isn't always guaranteed.

Contributor
@Holo

Thanks for letting me know. I guessed it wouldn't be feasible from the start, but the only other additions I could think of were minor changes.

A piece of oddness that I get occasionally is manga chapters being listed as unavailable in my selected language; yet I often have just read a chapter, and can use the browser back button to access the chapter again. Haven't dug into this more, sorry to say...........

How about user-defined tags? Like some manga has a common "otome games" setting so i would just use that tag to find another one with similar settings, or "dystopian future" or anything, really

Or it could be set for private (me myself) so i can sort my recommendation into private-tags that i made

Something like that

@LineaR Custom lists are planned, which are essentially user-defined tags. You will be able to put a series into multiple lists named whatever you want. You will be able to set each list to be visible to only you, friends, or everyone.

Dex-chan lover
A.) Good luck fam
B.) A feature to sort completed works by year would be appreciated (lest its already there and I'm just blinder tha I think)

How about a flag on a series that is marked under a user's "reading" listing that shows inactivity? Some series I read and they don't get updated for, say 3 months, I move to "on-hold" but I usually have to thumb through almost all my currently reading series to do so. And give the option to turn it to something like 3-12 months or never if it isn't wanted.

Would it be too wasteful to start preloading some pages from the next chapter when you get there? It would be really nice in general but especially for mousou telepathy and such where the entire chapter is only one page

Aggregator gang
I don't know whether this one has been suggested or not, forgive me for not reading the entire thread.

Can you please make the "Original language" to be checkboxes instead of drop-down list?
I think there are 2 pages that would be benefitted for making original language as checkboxes:
- Search page, so you can search contents with 2 or more origin languages while ignoring certain languages. I personally want to search only Japanese and Korean contents without having to bother about Chinese contents. With the current Search page, I have to search only Japanese contents, and then proceed with only Korean ones.
- Settings page -> Site settings tab. I was so grateful when I realized that I can filter out all those yaoi manga. I hope you can put original language checkboxes into this page so I can also filter out contents with certain languages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread