MangaDex v5 Dev Suggestions: The Real Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
I dunno if there's still talk about hentai tags being incorporated into the tagging system... but if you do create categories of tags, another possible category is tags that are spoiler-ific. like if a major uhh... plot-important genderbend (dunno if this was the best tag to use) happens late in the plot, that tag can be in there. Haven't thought through the idea fully, but iirc a VN database does do that stuff... do I'm stealing ideas.

Also, happy to see lewdness meter be a thing.
meter3.png

meter4.png

Please keep up with the dev posts, it’s facinating seeing what tech you’re using and how you’re handling the petabytes of download. Bit surprised by seeing you’re sticking with php but I guess it worked well so far so hats off to the devs.

Would love to have a continue reading button.

But aside from that keep up the hard work! And if ppl want to download there’s ways and means, including visiting the hard working scanalators sites!

I have an issue reading long format webtoons in the default reader on mobile (iOS, Safari). My scrolling swipes are often interpreted as tapping to next/previous page and it scrolls erratically. I often switch to the Legacy reader because it doesn’t have this issue. My request is either to fix the scrolling touchiness or to let me set the legacy reader as default for long format comics but the normal default reader as default for regular manga.

I would also like to be able to make my own categories instead of only reading, dropped, etc.

As a whole, though, thanks for the great website!

Miku best girl
Admin
@AbyssalMonkey Why do you think we haven't gone ahead with it? Because it could look bad as you say, lol.

Anyway, the point stands that the average person using the site is not as technical as you are, and wouldn't know how to use third party scripts to download. We currently see traffic of at least 10 million unique users a month, and if only a negligible number have the technical knowledge to download, then that's fine. If a significant number of users can download en mass, then that's bad news for bandwidth usage. Bandwidth is expensive, and the number of people actually supporting the site financially is only in the hundreds, not thousands, and out of 10,000,000 users a month, that's 0.001% lol.

MD@Home
Can we have option to show official English title instead of original country of origin title?

Already following hundred of isekai title and quite hard to remember each manga title.

Remembering long isekai title is pain in the ass, and with most isekai that have monthly release, it getting worse.

Or make it supporter only feature haha 😂

is a Reindeer
VIP
@diablossa posted:

I'd love to see a feed filter by region.
Like manga, manhwa, manhua, or others.
In the planned megathread as "Blacklist language of origin and demographic"

@Sirbringus posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but is there talks for a functioning mobile app?
Going SPA makes it easier to develop a mobile app or a PWA

@aquariumtourmaline posted:

Request to bring back the monthly scanlator interviews, i really miss them
Staff does them whenever they feel like, not canceled

@OnlyAlphanumericCharactersposted:

Although if there's an API to get chapter & image info I won't mind so much.

Anything that makes it easier to grab the images, so I can use my own reader, works for me. (I do tend to turn off images in the browser before I open the chapter to not hit the image servers more than needed.)
Our image servers are fine, don't worry about it. Yeah, there'll be an API.

@RoadMovieToBerlin posted:

Honestly, all I want is a button that opens the first chapter of whatever language you have set so I don't have to go find it, just a small convenience, but one I desperately want
Already in the planned megathread as "Button to go to first chapter or next unread chapter on title page"

@lazylazygoaway posted:

Please add start read or continue read like mangarock
Above

@Kanami-chan posted:

For the love of god, just, let me completely filter out chinese and korean "manga" from front page. (front page, NOT search)
There's no reason to not being able to do this.
Or perhaps MD admins actually get paid to advertize and/or just very personally biased towards them.
No, we don't get paid. There's already a solution to this so it's not really a priority to add it to live while v5 development is going on.

@idle_af posted:

When someone edits a chapter, either it comes up again on the front page or there should be a new notification in the user's "Follows" page, or just both if that specific functionality is not separate (don't forget RSS support). Have it opt-in to lessen possible abuse, where some jackass will keep on editing a page just to spam the front page/notifications. I don't want to keep rechecking a chapter if the typo is finally fixed (because I'm too inept to do it myself) so I can finally download it.
^Not sure if someone suggested this already
Rejected for abuse cases, as you said. Making it opt-in just means a small number of people will use the feature.

@DarkFlame posted:

so without the update jargon... will the website load faster than it currently is (in regards to chapters loading)?
Chapters load as fast as your internet is

@RicHykkie posted:

Regarding full site translation, will you consider having links for Official releases (in other languages than English) and links to other websites providing manga databases (I'm mostly thinking about French ones such as Nautiljon, manga-news, manga-sanctuary...)
Yeah

@Potato posted:

I feel that when you sort a manga into dropped it should also stop counting towards the total number of users following the title since you are not really reading it any longer.
As it is right now if a title has been dropped by many users it gives that title a more positive statistic than it should have which could be misinterpreted as it being better that it actually is, and as a user I do not want to support a title which I do not think deserve it.
Interesting suggestion

@sonictail posted:

Please keep up with the dev posts, it’s facinating seeing what tech you’re using and how you’re handling the petabytes of download. Bit surprised by seeing you’re sticking with php but I guess it worked well so far so hats off to the devs.
The petabytes of downloads are mostly cached and offloaded onto CF or Path

@Ryzou posted:

Can we have option to show official English title instead of original country of origin title?
In my post as "Selecting preferred titles for manga"

Group Leader
I'd like to ask the devs to carefully check browser compatibility before making this change public.
Most frameworks like to test their features only on Chrome and that often means using some features that are Chrome-specific, leaving other browsers in the dust despite being standard-compliant.
Specifically, I'd like for the developers to check that at least the reader and the chapter upload work on the Pale Moon browser: that browser is standard-compliant with the majority of the Javascript standard (including ES2018) so everything will work as long as you (or the framework) don't use some draft features or something like that.
I'm both a reader and a translator so I make use of those two features, and I don't want to change my browser to use Mangadex so I'm really begging you to work hard on browser compatibility.
Thanks for the hard work on this service.

@Plykiya

There's a lot of neat stuff with this change, but there's only one thing that I don't understand in the slightest in what way it would be used.

Saving other user's follow lists

Could I get a rough description if possible?

Contributor
1. The ability for contributors or something to add a 'padding' (blank) page to the beginning of a chapter for Double page rendering. This would help to align 2 pages to be like it is in comic form.

2. Perhaps also look into https://vuejs.org/v2/guide/ssr.html for better SEO/page loads.

3. Some sort of example thing for formatting text.

Dex-chan lover
-the comment section is always hard to follow,we see people replying to others but we dont know which comment they are replying too. Especially when there is more than one page of comment,we have to scroll through pages and look for the initial comment that started the debate .

I really like when you get notified that a chapter is missing when you reach the gap, but that doesn't happened when you've accidentally missed an upload and read the next chapter. Say chapter 20 gets uploaded one day and you miss it for some reason. Some time later 21 is uploaded and the homepage doesn't list the previous chapter bc it's been too long. I think it would be nice to have a feature that's like "oh hey! You haven't read the previous chapter yet. Do you want to?"

I like the idea of more and customizable follow lists. Being able to create lists that can be for certain genres would definitely make things easier on readers. The current system, while functional, is a bit clunky and restrictive.
Regarding the customization, will it be possible to set a list (and thus the entries on it) to like "invisible" or something where they'll be hidden completely from view (main page, searches etc) and only visible when looking at the list itself?

As a side thought to the tag reform for GL/BL, would it be possible to add a "Het" tag so that the searches can be more precise? Like, say someone will want to search all GL but doesnt want manga that has bisexual relations (GL+Het). Having a het tag with the new search system would allow people to filter for that. Of course, it should only be for when it's a prime part of the story like the GL/BL tags.

Xenforo forum software is pretty good. I've been a member of many forums that use some version of it and it is very efficient, especially regarding quotes and pinging commenters in threads.

Dex-chan lover
Give us a thanks button so uploader can feel thanked for uploading this chapter.

I want to second the suggestion made by @gadnihasj and @Tradless to make a "description-on-hover" or enlarging a single entry of a list by clicking on an icon and then displaying the first lines of the description, the cover art, artist and maybe also the amount of chapters uploaded.

Regarding SPAs, I'm also split. Most of the SPAs I've seen were slow and big. I know that that doesn't have to be the case but it usually is. If you're going through with that, please make sure that the browser history and ctrl+click and all that stuff works. Eg. the Reader, which pretty much already is a SPA, doesn't quite do what I expect when I press back (go to the last chapter) but closes the reader and goes back to the page I was on before I opened the reader, even if the url has changed quite a few times between those two events.

The next one is more of a bug report but is also quite an old issue: Please fix the links in the top navigation bar when no one is logged in. Eg. I'm logged out -> click on *Follows* -> Login screen appears, I'm entering my data and press enter -> I'm on the previous page, or worse, on /login and it says I'm already logged in. What I instead should be on is the "Follows" page of my account.

It would also be nice to have some sort of organized bug/feature reporting system for mangadex, another reported bug of mine (like others) has been lying around unanswered (not even a WONTFIX or "sry no time right now but we're aware") for nearly three months now.

As always, these are just nitpicks.

Dex-chan lover
If we can get a proper "fit page to window" instead of what we have now where nothing happens if the image is smaller than the window, I won't feel the need to download the chapter to read in an offline viewer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread