Maou ni Natta node, Dungeon Tsukutte Jingai Musume to Honobono suru - Vol. 4 Ch. 27.1

Page 1, I can hear the jingle playing in my head.
I looked years and never found the name of it...DAMN YOU JAPANESE COOKING SHOWS!!!

Fed-Kun's army
its sad that a lot of explanations of things gets cut, out almost to the point where you need to re-read speech bubbles cause the summed up wording just feels weird. but i get it with the manga limitations and such, just feels too lacking.

Dex-chan lover
@Richman Percy Jackson and crew were lucky they never actually really needed to use their weapons against mundane humans, though. If you've ever read Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson, you'd have an idea of why narrowing the sword's usefulness to such a degree can be a bad idea. If you're unfamiliar with it, there's a sword in it called Nightblood, who is sentient and was created with the sole directive of destroying evil. But that brings up the question: what is evil? Who decides what's good and what's evil? For a sword that doesn't understand human morality or have a concept of good and evil, "evil" is basically anyone and everyone, but especially those who might be tempted to pick up Nightblood for any reason.

Limiting the sword to cutting "sin" is almost worse, since sin can be any number of things in any number of religions just here in the real world. Toss in the morals of a fantasy world where pretty much anything goes and there's no telling what the sword could or could not cut.

@guih34 Not all styles of swords have them; it all depends on the style of swordsmanship it's used with. The Russian shashka, for instance, lacks any kind of guard, but that doesn't hinder it as it's used in a fashion that beats an incoming blow aside rather than actually allow it to make solid contact for a bind, the way you would with, say, Talhoffer. Many swords of the Iron Age and earlier lacked the broader guards of their later counterparts because they were used almost exclusively with shields, so the guard didn't have much purpose.

Plus, a guard is really only useful if you actually plan on getting into a sword fight; I kinda think he'll just slice through anything that gets in his way, whether it's a sword or a person.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
@Vincentius
I've seen Brandon Sanderson being mentioned a couple of times (in other places, not here), looks like his novels are pretty good, i wonder where i should start if i decide to read them.

About eliminating "sin", yeah, i get the fatal flaw with that plan, perhaps (if it was used in this story) it would only affect those that have crimes as their titles? Like those thugs in chapter 9, OR MC gets to decide what is "evil" based on his morals, of course, that means he can also deviate from his original purpose and become an evil being towards humanity as a whole. It's just an interesting thought.

Dex-chan lover
@Vincentius It's like a TOS, the more vague and confusing it is the more convenient it is for the one who wrote the damn thing.

Dex-chan lover
@Richman I would definitely recommend them, though I'd suggest starting with Elantris, Warbreaker, and the original Mistborn trilogy, as those are his earliest published works; he's currently at work on his epic series, The Stormlight Archive, which is going to be absolutely massive if it actually ends at the projected 10 books, as the first 3 alone are around a combined 3,100 pages, so it's not something to jump into lightly. Particularly with the 4th book coming out in November.

As for sin, it's certainly interesting, but making it something the MC decides kinda defeats the purpose of limiting, as he can easily decide that "evil" is anyone that opposes him; making it based on titles would probably work better, depending on how absolute the title system is. Like some series with titles, you commit the smallest of crimes and you get a "criminal" title, whereas some you only get it if you murder someone. Could be real open to abuse by antagonists, such as the scheming prince that caused problems for them awhile back (that was this series, right? I'm reading so many, the details kinda blur together).

Dex-chan lover
A sword that 'despises sin' and drinks blood crafted by a Demon Lord. Oof. And it freaking blushes at compliments.
In before it becomes a new waifu.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
if it actually ends at the projected 10 books
Jesus Christ, that's the longest series of books i've seen, regardless of how thick they are, the only other series i know is that big is harry potter at 8 7 books,

Dex-chan lover
@Richman
Baby numbers.
I mean, is 17 main story konosuba books.
Wheel of time is huge.
Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon is completely ridiculous.

MD@Home
> to it's user
> to it is user

> with it's bloody blade
> with it is bloody blade

> because of it's status boost
> because of it is status boost

Exactly why do you have a proofreader again, please?

Aggregator gang
@Richman the index series has like 22 for the first and is on like it's 10 or 20th for it's continuation series (that's not including the side series like railgun etc IIRC) jp LN series really like going for them volumes but raildex really does top the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread