Maou no Ore ga Dorei Elf wo Yome ni Shitanda ga, Dou Medereba ii? - Vol. 5 Ch. 23 - Even So, Defeating Evil is a Holy Knight's Duty (3)

Dex-chan lover
Nice way to end this arc.
I do hope we go back to Nephie and Zagan flirting again next chapter, i kinda miss it.

Ah man, I can't wait for more of the catholic church being evil for the 535th time. Why can't the church be good or at least not filled with psychos every time it appears in a manga? Of course, the catholic church was pretty bad during most of its inception, and its not like there are many fantasy mangas based on present times, so I can see why most fantasy mangas would portray them like that, but it would be nice to see some take the not-evil-or-bad approach to it sometimes. When I say "every time" I don't mean the times that it starts out as evil and/or filled with psychos and the heroes or someone fixes it (e.g. in Shield Hero).

Dex-chan lover
@TimeVolt If you want to read a manga with a not evil church, check out Saihate no Paladin. If you are interested in a fantasy novel series, check out the Dresden Files.

Nep

Dex-chan lover
@Epicredeemer Really? Sounds neat. Where did you get that from? I got Moe Moe Medical Shower from Anise Tatlin (Tales of ACS)

Dex-chan lover
@TimeVolt No, the church didn't do anything particularly evil in Japan. They never got into a position high enough to do much over there. Nevertheless, it was viewed as a threat to the isolation policy of the shogunate, and thus the government ordered all Christians to be purged. You could view the manga authors' habit of using the Christian church as an evil organisation as a continuation of that. Of course it helps that it's totally safe for the mangaka and the publisher. Nothing like this is going to happen. Naturally, on a more practical level, it saves the authors a whole lot of work when they can use reference photos and such.

Btw, the Catholic church wasn't especially bad ever. Every organisation is just the sum of the people working for it, a product of the times. The services of the church were still predominantly fine and good, at a local level very much so. Back in the dark times the church was more or less the only good organisation in ordinary people's lives. The secural government, the king and the nobles, were nothing but the bane of an ordinary person's life.

Dex-chan lover
@Nep: Exterminatus comes from Warhammer 40.000, but that declaration comes from one of its videogames, Dawn of War 2: Retribution.
Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h67JpMyrOVE
Also as you can see, Exterminatus is not a spell. Is a bombardment (payload may vary) that result in the destruction of a world.

Dex-chan lover
@TimeVolt its not like Japan Novel/manga always potrait Church as Evil... there's many novel/manga that potrait them as Good powers...
besides, they using Christians church since it most well known, and most of its followers not too extreme and pretty chill (well of course there's extremist people among them)...
if using other religions, i'm not sure they gonna be chill like that too if their religions being used as bad guys on the story, remember that Noragami incident? where's the soundtrack got similiarity with some religion music? how bad they "bullying" the composer until the studio and composer call off the Soundtrack release and create new one? if just a similiarity on the music they already like that, what happen when their religion being used as bad guys?

so yeah, they gonna keep using "Church" on their story as Bad guys or Good Guys....

Dex-chan lover
@Epicredeemer: I'd prefer not. "You-know-what-people" will throw a fit if "they" hear that you're carrying Exterminatus with sorcery. And we both know that angering "them" is a BAD idea.

Dex-chan lover
I see this old man is just an idiot. he doesn't know how people look at him lmao

@Kaarme It wasn't especially bad to normal people, and yes, it was mostly the popes and other high officials that did most of the bad things often attributed to the church, and local scale things were pretty much fine, the Catholic church did do some pretty bad stuff, especially if you are a non-Catholic and try to adhere strictly to the bible, for examples, look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninety-five_Theses of Martin Luther, and while yes, most of these are coming from a discrepancy between what the bible says and the Catholic Church's actions, its pretty hard to justify conquering land and taking it from other rulers as a religious organization(couldn't find a relevant wikipedia article).

@Nematoda Oh, I haven't read all manga and light novels, and my MDList is filled with probably around 2000 titles I want to read right now, so its very likely I just haven't read any yet.
Well yeah, but Buddhism is pretty well known (especially in Japan), and i can't think of a more stereotypically "chill" group of people, and I have yet to see a take of an evil Buddhist monastery or something, as for the "Noragami Incident", I have no idea what religions music the soundtrack was similar to, so yeah.

Oi oi, Chastel just went Atomic Samurai on us. She's actually seriously dangerous ... Also, Raphael is top old man.

Dex-chan lover
@TimeVolt there's 'evil' Buddhist, even on old manga/story where youkais or MC with Youkais friends, usually the Monks there potrait as evil (well more of Antagonist, since they basically do their job), and seeing non-human they gonna become "Evil being kill immediately"....
and they using Christians Church because it fit with the story, there's no way on the story of Medieval age they have Buddhism as Major religion... lol
but when the story have setting on middle east, they usually refrain using other religion for their story... like Islamic religion, and it same religion on that 'Noragami incident', the soundtrack sound familiar with their religion music...
so yeah, its not the religion fault, it just some of its followers has no chill....

Dex-chan lover
I think there is some conflation going on here, It appears more to be the actions of One man being evil here. As he said if it wasn't for the other Cardinals he would have just executed her. Showing that the Other Cardinals are not in agreement with him. Being at odds with the Mages isn't necessarily evil as we've seen Mages tend to be amoral and could be seen as evil in many cases.

Dex-chan lover
lul, he wasn't even trying to be a bad guy he is just "easily" misunderstood... WHAT

Users who are viewing this thread