Maou no Ore ga Dorei Elf wo Yome ni Shitanda ga, Dou Medereba ii? - Vol. 5 Ch. 23 - Even So, Defeating Evil is a Holy Knight's Duty (3)

Are we just gonna ignore how the story treats this 'misunderstanding leading to the death of mages' as a joke? Like seriously, mages who may have been sympathetic to the cause ended up being killed due to a misunderstanding based on common knowledge and perception towards knights, and the story just treats it like it was a humorous accident.

Dex-chan lover
@onionskins
>japanese authors: church bad, demons good.

Fun fact:

Judaism used to be polytheistic until it shifted over to monotheism whereby competing gods like Baal were downgraded into lesser deities in their eyes and even down to demons by the time Christianity got going by assigning their names to the demons that pop up in their oral traditions. Nowadays you're more likely to hear of Baal in pop culture as some nasty generic demonic entity but 2000 years ago or so, Baal was the god of harvests who ensured farmers in the middle east would see their efforts paid off in exchange for seasonal rites in his name. Meanwhile the jews massacred the Canaanites to claim Palestine for themselves and Christians started coming down hard on polytheist by the end of the 4th century like 60 years after Constantine put Christianity Rome's list of "Okay" religions.

#NotAllDemons

@Meijin

if you don't mind, where might I find the sources for this information? I desire to know more in depth on this subject.

Fed-Kun's army
@Meijin @animajunki123
I'd like to add a clarification. Judaism as a religion was consistently monotheistic, but the Jewish people in practice were not. Despite "Don't serve gods other than YHWH" being the first commandment, they worshiped a lot of other gods until after the Babylonian exile. They've been, in general, monotheistic since then.

So the old knight is a lot like the MC in that they both have communication problems and are too intimidating to others which causes misunderstandings.

@abramen Mages literally treat each other like shit on a daily basis. It's been established pretty early that they wont care about what happens to a whole lot of them getting killed unless it affects them themselves. Also keep in mind that mages are essentially the bad guys, Zagan's just a tad bit different. Almost every mage hates the Church, specially the Holy Knights, since both factions are in opposition. Zagan just sat and listened to him in the tavern because he's confident that if they fight he had an advantage, but you can see Barbaros on guard and ready to strike. Barbaros had the "common sense" in terms of how Mages think and operate. They treat it as a joke since well, if a Holy Knight already had more than 50 mages killed, they'd already strike first before he'd even try to talk. The whole misunderstanding snowballs per mage kill and thats why they treat it as a joke. "If they die, they're weak" is the established mindset of the Mages, so as far as we know, they died because they couldn't live long enough for the old guy to clear it all up.

Double-page supporter
"It was all a super convenient misunderstanding" - The Chapter.

RIG

I told you the old man just had zero social skills.

Edit: all you guys crying about the old man dying: read the damn novel.

All you guys bitching over evil church: why the fuck are you here if you hate that so much?

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

The moment i read "Heaven Blaze"... i felt annoyed because that's not the name used in the light novels.

Dex-chan lover
@animajunki123
Info's out there but not all in one place. You'll learn a lot of it from watching Bart Ehrman's lectures and reading his books so get started from there and google the topics he brings up to know more.

@CrusaderJerome
I wouldn't say monotheistic. Monolatrous or Henotheistic would be would be more apt since their earlier texts do still have traces of acknowledging the existence and rivalry with other gods.

Looking at this it doesn't seems like Chruch is bad, seems to be a problem of fanatics in this case. Actually when you look at a lot of the church is bad manga its less the church is bad and more people in higher position of power are corrupt. Which is funny cause I thought evil priest dude was evil cause of money and sex reasons like normal, but turns out he was actually a just fanatic.

Dex-chan lover
@abramen: Besides what Azekiel already said, do note that just because Raphael looked intimidating doesn't excuse the mages he was trying to talk with immediately attacking him first every single time. There's a thing could threat displays: make a big show of your willingness to go violent without actually going violent, in hopes that either the other guy backs off or rephrases themselves to de-escalate. It seems to me, however, that the mages he killed were too hopped up on paranoia and/or anti-church hatred to not pick a fight on the slightest provocation.

@duderus: Really? What was the name in the LN?

I can only say "Azrael" in my mind with first hassan's voice now...

@onionskins Yup, and it's gonna be saved by the young, extremely smart and revolutionary people!!! Kinda cringe ngl.
This was the worst chapter yet, tons of cliches with mediocre execution, I hope it recovers.

Users who are viewing this thread