Maou-sama, Retry!

@sinisempi they're deleted because the scanlators chose to delete them when they were pulling out. Apparently, they hate Mangadex and would prefer that people go to other aggregate websites with ads instead of this one.

Fed-Kun's army
@Prominis i did read the (start of the) thread: https://mangadex.org/thread/92399 . there is a smarmy "ad money/donations" aspect to anything scanlators do but if the admins are serious about their own delusions of grandeur it's only a matter of time until mangadex goes belly up. i have ublock origin so i'm not seeing ads on other sites either.

@sinisempi Yeah, this drama is somewhat expected when a site like MD gets as big as it has over the past year. I've talked/worked with Holo during the creation of the site, so I'm somewhat biased as I knew at the time what his visions of the site would be, even though they could change. You're right though, scanlators are trying to 'unite' against big old MD, but I feel the majority of the groups are leaving so that they can reap the benefits($$) of ad revenue and spam their patreons/donation links to their heart's content. As for MD, if what Holo has been saying is true and they do eventually go 'legit' that would be a huge slap in the face of the work Holo and his team have done for the past year, this site would turn into another crunchyroll. Just have to wait and see how things play out...

@friedtofu Which is dumb when you realize that none of those groups should be making money off of this. They're pirating manga, what do they think they deserve? xD

@Despada I totally agree with you on that front, but again here comes my bias since I've only worked with one group in the past. The people I worked with in our scanlation group weren't in need of money, we all had full-time jobs, except for one person, who was a student I believe. So we were all fine with doing this because it was our passion, I feel like a lot of other groups feel differently; "We did the work, we should be compensated for the work we've done!".

I don't mind groups asking for donations if it's purely for the work/hours they put in, but whenever a group says "WE NEED DONATIONS TO CONTINUE" that's utter bullshit. They have the choice of uploading to mangadex or creating their own domain and trying to fund that domain. It's totally their choice, and they have a much better chance of making revenue when the readers are invested into the series they scanlate by cutting readers from MD and hosting it on their own site.

Nice to see scan groups are still shooting themselves in the foot still. Things never change.

Dex-chan lover
@Despada by that logic you don't deserve to get any manga translated here because you've done nothing to deserve it and it's illegal too, yet here it is for your enjoyment, so if you have a good time reading manga here and want to compensate the people who make it possible (being MD, the specific group translating or even better pay directly to the author), you can do it ... Or not, that's okay, but don't look down on them if you're also here instead of waiting for the official release like a "good" person, it really makes you look bad.

But well, this is not the place to discuss this... I'm just glad I still get to enjoy this for free.

Group Leader
@Despada @Serenata @friedtofu I'll be short to avoid going off-topic too long but I basically agree with groups asking (and NOT forcing your hand) for donations, it's always nice to be rewarded for this kind of dedication (AFTER the work is done). However these groups basically say, as friedtofu mentioned, that they NEED donations. Their Patreon are literally thousands of dollars a month (and they act surprised when receiving a Cease & Desist letter from the editor, eh), we're not in the scope of fan-made scanlationanymore but in the scope of a business (which is why editors often butt heads with them).

I don't really know what to think of MD going legal, I'd love to see such an alternative but... I wouldn't like it to be MD. This would mean "losing" years of work put by both scanlators and the MD staff as a whole. I love the idea of an MD-like legal website, I just hope MD will stay as is and that this project of going legal will be done on another front-line. It's not that I'm not willing to pay, I'd very gladly support a legal version of MD if it ever happens, what I'd dislike about the MD, as we know it today, disappearing is that we'd lose all the content that would never make it to overseas legal licenses. They could build a bridge between both too (when getting a license from a manga present on MD, disable the release of new chapters on MD for this series and bridge it to the platform where the scanlators would be paid to continue it under the license) but that could be seen as using MD to promote their new legal platform (if that happens), not that I'd mind but I guess some people would.

Did I mention I would make this message short ? Never believe me when I say that.

I don't mind groups asking for donations if it's purely for the work/hours they put in, but whenever a group says "WE NEED DONATIONS TO CONTINUE" that's utter bullshit.

this is very common thread on novel translations as well, they call this sponsoring the series. if you dont donate on the series you dont get a translation or at least they get translated ridiculously slow (i wont be surprised if they only translate 1 chapter for every 3-4months), to be honest I hate this kind of groups who doing that, I dont mind asking for donation or clicking that adfly links.

well I guess translators now a days are now only motivated to translate when someone slap money on their faces.

It's funny that someone in these comments feels like the series was sniped because MD asked someone to snipe it. It feels more to a reader that the credit page listing their complaint was posted because the thread was locked and the 'signing' groups still wanted to funnel eyeballs to it. I know I wouldn't have run across that disaster of a thread if that credit page wasn't there. It is just amusing that because of the MD interface suggesting there is a new chapter on their site and helping me get there has resulted in me going to more scanlator websites in the last decade of me chasing translated manga. As a reader I can't tell if it's a C&D, DMCA, dropped, or drama anymore and can only hope that translations still get to me somehow legit or otherwise.

Dex-chan lover
God damn, the drama... In the end, not much of value was lost, I didn't really read any of the releases from those groups. Not to mention the fact they had such long delays on their releases on here.

@TetraSky is there a list of which groups left somewhere? I didn't know there was any drama happening until I saw only ch 14 and 15 were left.

Dex-chan lover
@HomeSlice
You can find a list here of groups that actually said they were leaving
https://mangadex.org/thread/92399/1
If you read the thread, it's clear that OP and the groups that left are basically just throwing a tantrum because they want more money and more traffic to their site.

Group Leader
So that's why my follows have been getting slow recently... Like 80% of my stuff is from those groups

No group (the one that edits manga with microsoft powerpoint) and whitepod are only the 2 other "groups" (not really groups as one is just a single person) I can mention off the top of my head

Despite what ixlone said it's kind of hard to photoshop "my idea is to fuck them if they don't support me in fucking groups in the ass in a scanlation manhunt" and blatantly blanket remarks like "japanese companies only care about the money". It's also hard to take either of those two sentences out of context.

@HomeSlice I think you should form an opinion on the drama based on your own judgment. Yes, the groups seem to be overreacting in that they're justifying their actions based on a single admin's goals. Yes, what one admin thinks is not what every admin thinks on MD. Despite that, Yes, the scanlator groups have a right to dislike what a certain admin said.

Personally, I'm probably in the demographic that could afford MD going legit, but I like the objective freeness of the site. Yes, some people can get cancerous sometimes, including myself, but you have to chalk it up as hate and just continue doing what you're doing. Some people will like your shit, and will respond in kind. Also, I highly doubt few people would be against MD going legit. Fakku lost so many people from their community in the change.

Yes Theory is going to release a video tomorrow about how this entire thing is fake

@sinisempi
I'm pretty sure it's a mostly a meme given how they said the only way they'd do it is if they could get enough licenses to keep the vast majority of manga on the site already (not happening, especially given how some are already published online legally in english, and a few of those are free to boot) and that several other mods/admins outright said they would quit if it did. Moreover, they also argued back that the screenshots in the initial posting were cropped out of context over the course of many conversations, a point that no one on the side of the leaving scanlator groups has refuted. Given their choice to avoid that talking point rather than to address it, I can only assume that they do not have a way to, i.e. that the MangaDex admins are correct in that it is out of context.

Do I think that the admins of MangaDex are good people per se? No, I don't know anything about them, and they've been pretty passive aggressive in responses. I do however, also consider the scanlator groups leaving to have no real complaints of note, given the above and how this will only funnel more traffic to other websites that do not allow delays in chapters (as MangaDex does, with links to the translator's site where they can find it) and also don't credit them. They were free to remove their chapters anyway, unlike many other sites that will not take them down (and stick their own watermark on them as if they did the scanlation), so this sign off is essentially just a dramatic "fuck you" with arms linked and middle fingers raised as they walk out the door.

i said this in another thread but I don't see how the scanlator groups benefit from doing this at all. It just puts them in a bad light from a bystander pov. As much as I don't want to say it, but nothing of importance was lost. Series will get sniped by other groups or people will go off to other sites, only a small portion would go to their site.

Group Leader
@Prominis
a point that no one on the side of the leaving scanlator groups has refuted
The scanlator groups have pretty much ghosted the entire community, this is more on the side of "shitty logic" because just because there's an absence of something doesn't mean its contrary is true.

There's an absence of proof that aliens exist, but that doesn't mean aliens don't exist.

I can only assume that they do not have a way to, i.e. that the MangaDex admins are correct in that it is out of context.
Even if it is out of context, I don't think there's any context where saying "my idea is to fuck them if they don't support me in fucking groups in the ass in a scanlation manhunt" is positive.

this sign off is essentially just a dramatic "fuck you" with arms linked and middle fingers raised as they walk out the door.
True. I agree.

i said this in another thread but I don't see how the scanlator groups benefit from doing this at all.
I don't see how either, but I stopped trying to justify everyone's actions a long time ago

Users who are viewing this thread