Maria no Danzai - Vol. 3 Ch. 24 - A Complete Mess

Dex-chan lover
Who cares if the police dad got caught off guard. Dude is about to kick that kid's ass even with a piece of glass in his eye.

Dex-chan lover
Man, not only is he a jobber as a detective, but he is also one in fights.

Dex-chan lover
Man, not only is he a jobber as a detective, but he is also one in fights.
The dad full time job is being a jobber. He clearly is the much superior one against a guy that was shown to be the strongest in the school and of all the things he lost his cool to is a picture frame. Now, if it's a ring from his ex-wife or a drawing made by his son when he was a kid, that I understand.

Fed-Kun's army
I really don't think many of you realize that getting angry 8 times out 10 will make you lose a fight. If you fly into a rage, realistically you lost, look at most professional fights and you'll see that. (And before ya say anything, there is a huge difference in being pissed at things your opponent said and did and wanting payback in the ring, and sudden off the handle flying into a rage) the highschooler has clearly been shown as someone capable to beat up teenagers and grown men in fights, of course that moment of rage, followed up with a punch the father didn't see coming is enough to win the fight. Most professional boxers will admit the punch to knock you out is the one you don't see coming. The picture frame was thrown into his face so obviously he could not see the fist coming, had no way of defending as he didn't even know what angle it would come from leads to his brain getting rattled with that punch and him falling to the floor.

Also this man still just recently lost his son and had his wife leave him while she hated his guts for believing that the death was self-inflicted. His mind is in shambles right now, he isn't some perfectly well functioning member of society, honestly he probably knows he could replace that picture but with his mind being such a mess, especially with the stigma families in Japan deal with for suicide, he won't be thinking straight. Him being a detective doesn't change that fact. People will fly off the handle at the tiniest things in such situations. His reaction is not unrealistic, your disbelief that a completely and utterly depressed and overworked detective would snap at an intruder doing such a thing is unrealistic.

Dex-chan lover
I know dad is kinda an ass here but a damn picture frame is suddenly thrown right at his face and then he got punched instantly right there. Not to mention he uses glasses. It hurts a lot y'know. Of course he's going to be like that for a moment. But he clearly has a chance to beat that kid ass

Dex-chan lover
I really don't think many of you realize that getting angry 8 times out 10 will make you lose a fight. If you fly into a rage, realistically you lost, look at most professional fights and you'll see that. (And before ya say anything, there is a huge difference in being pissed at things your opponent said and did and wanting payback in the ring, and sudden off the handle flying into a rage) the highschooler has clearly been shown as someone capable to beat up teenagers and grown men in fights, of course that moment of rage, followed up with a punch the father didn't see coming is enough to win the fight. Most professional boxers will admit the punch to knock you out is the one you don't see coming. The picture frame was thrown into his face so obviously he could not see the fist coming, had no way of defending as he didn't even know what angle it would come from leads to his brain getting rattled with that punch and him falling to the floor.

Also this man still just recently lost his son and had his wife leave him while she hated his guts for believing that the death was self-inflicted. His mind is in shambles right now, he isn't some perfectly well functioning member of society, honestly he probably knows he could replace that picture but with his mind being such a mess, especially with the stigma families in Japan deal with for suicide, he won't be thinking straight. Him being a detective doesn't change that fact. People will fly off the handle at the tiniest things in such situations. His reaction is not unrealistic, your disbelief that a completely and utterly depressed and overworked detective would snap at an intruder doing such a thing is unrealistic.
Nice write-up but matter of fact is that the dad is infinitely stronger than him as presented here. Dude is a stronger than average high school bully. Dad also went through hell, with everyone piling on him, even his own now ex-wife. A fucking photo? Cmon. Have it be something actually important that can't simply be fixed (a drawing that his son did when young or a diy project or whatever, just not a lameass photo). Dad was shown to be quite levelheaded and unrelenting in his approach with the skills to back it up even after having been broken.
Can't have him go terminator mode to then be shaken up TO THIS DEGREE because of a lousy photo after everything that happened. Again, you make some good points but "this small thing could be that trigger!" "that is how it irl can happen!!" does not work here, at all, because of the insanely little screen time he had. His character was established entirely different from this.

This is out of place but still a huge opportunity story wise. Have him actually manage to arrest the fucker and this is the start of him crossing paths with his ex-wife. THE chance to give his character depth and a purpose + shove in some police intrigue insider arc. win-win.
Dad has so much to say as a character. She just went "I will hurt and abandon my husband without elaborating (not chad) and I will have sex with others over and over to get into a position where I can revenge my son by killing all the murderers" without even giving him the chance to choose. Dude might be more mental than her even. Which, again, we just don't know since no screentime.

Dex-chan lover
I'm gonna stop piling it on daddy dearest and ask one question no one here has asked yet. Did the kid ever send the picture of kinugawa in the dad's house to Maria throughout all this happening?

• I'm 50/50 with Yuda helping that guy out. I can understand wanting to "save" him so they can carry out their revenge, plus there's always the chance of some legal bullshit to spare him from justice even if the police caught him. On the other hand, it rubs me the wrong way that he helped him out.
  • I GROANED at the police officer (sorry, forgot his name or if it was even mentioned) not immediately pulling out his firearm at the first sign of an intruder. And THEN he fell for the super obvious bait 🙄. It's a different story if he knew who's attacking him, but there's literally no excuse for him to immediately go "Nah, I'd win" on some stranger that could be armed even with backup arriving. Now he's got a shard in his eye and that's mostly his fault, arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. With that, I'm also expecting the author that the police guy will get an eyepatch, and have a theme of "conveniently" turning a blind eye to Maria's revenge. I'm gonna fricking cringe so hard if that happens because he got blinded IMO in the shittiest way possible.
  • And seriously, I have no idea why the artist made the police officer and Yuda look similar with the long messy hair and glasses. A few extra seconds to figure out who's depicted in a panel (although police guy has some stubble which helps a bit) is going to be a hassle to read.
This is Japan, unlike america putting bullets in someone isn't the immediate response. Japanese police don't even carry their firearms on 24/7

Fed-Kun's army
Nice write-up but matter of fact is that the dad is infinitely stronger than him as presented here. Dude is a stronger than average high school bully. Dad also went through hell, with everyone piling on him, even his own now ex-wife. A fucking photo? Cmon. Have it be something actually important that can't simply be fixed (a drawing that his son did when young or a diy project or whatever, just not a lameass photo). Dad was shown to be quite levelheaded and unrelenting in his approach with the skills to back it up even after having been broken.
Can't have him go terminator mode to then be shaken up TO THIS DEGREE because of a lousy photo after everything that happened. Again, you make some good points but "this small thing could be that trigger!" "that is how it irl can happen!!" does not work here, at all, because of the insanely little screen time he had. His character was established entirely different from this.

This is out of place but still a huge opportunity story wise. Have him actually manage to arrest the fucker and this is the start of him crossing paths with his ex-wife. THE chance to give his character depth and a purpose + shove in some police intrigue insider arc. win-win.
Dad has so much to say as a character. She just went "I will hurt and abandon my husband without elaborating (not chad) and I will have sex with others over and over to get into a position where I can revenge my son by killing all the murderers" without even giving him the chance to choose. Dude might be more mental than her even. Which, again, we just don't know since no screentime.
You would be right, based on most of his appearances in the manga. But, reread Chapter 14. He is utterly broken just thinking about his son and ex-wife while in the car, look at his expression. Look at his reaction to his wife divorcing him. He is completely destroyed by it. The fact she disappeared after that, to the point when he hears of a female teacher with the same last name he becomes desperate and wants to see if she is still there and meet for the possible chance it's his wife. Even in the struggle with the high-schooler when he has that second wind surge at the end, he isn't upset a photo of family was grabbed, he's upset that it was specifically Mari being touched in the picture. He has clearly lost everything and wants nothing more than his wife back at any cost. This was already demonstrated in Chapter 14 so it shouldn't be a surprised how much he has fallen off the deep end.

Dex-chan lover
Every armchair MMA analysis assuming the dad should automatically beat the kid here is on some insane copium.

In a fair fight? Maybe. Dad likely has experience in a good amount of fights due to his career. But its been more than established that the kid is a natural brawling savant - an extremely sadistic one at that - who managed to immediately figure out how to make him lose his cool. Couple that with what appears to be freakishly good genetics in a fight like that, and all it takes is one distraction to get cooked.

You ever been in a real fight before? They go by remarkabkly quick. Everything you see in a manga is dramatically slowed down from what actually occurs, and one hit to the right place can crumple you like a sack of potatoes even if you were completely fine before. Imagine if the kid here had enough sense to end things faster - go for the temple, catch the jugular, rock his liver. There wouldn't even be a conversation cause dad would've been dead.

And on the topic of getting furious at the picture catching him off guard, I guarantee that picture is either A.) The only copy he's got left or B.) Has some sentimental value to it beyond just being a ccpy. I'd bet a solid $1000 of that being the case, and I wanna go up vs anyone who thinks otherwise.

Dex-chan lover
These teenagers sure are resourceful yet they will job to a woman using the Saw movies as inspiration...

And the dude lost an eye, now he's almost guaranteed to become a certified badass at some point.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly feeling bad for the father..

Now his Wife (Ex-Wife) is not just demolishing him emotionally, but it's literally bringing his life to the bring of death just for her revenge, she's a walking Disaster at this point

She's way past redemption at this point
I'm not really feel bad for the father since he's basically absent when his son needs him from bullying even to the point of dying, for a cop he can't even see what's happening or even care enough to his own son, he sucks.

Dex-chan lover
Ok now I really hope Maria kills this guy very slowly and painfully. Also throw that other kid in with him. he's such a danger and selfish.

Users who are viewing this thread