Mieruko-chan - Vol. 9 Ch. 49

Dex-chan lover
Damn, as someone who also lost a parent, this chapter hits me quite hard. I wish she can talk to her dad at some point, but . . . . Theres this saying "when you stare into abyss it stares back at you" which means if she starts talking to her dad, others would probably TRIES to make her notice or talk to them as well which make it a more living hell. Also Im still wondering why her dad is the only ghost that looks 100% human. Is this because thats how she last remember him?

Also, Im so 🗿🗿🗿 when julia tries to exorcise her dad 🗿🗿🗿
There been other ghosts that looked human, the kid/mother at the hospital looked human to her till they left. Then there was that old man who was talking to godmother(forgot her name) he was normal till he said he died.

Dex-chan lover
There been other ghosts that looked human, the kid/mother at the hospital looked human to her till they left. Then there was that old man who was talking to godmother(forgot her name) he was normal till he said he died.
Ah right I almost forgot about that family in the hospital. Seeing them reunited again and flew to the other side was one of the most wholesome and heartwarming moments I've seen in this series.

Dex-chan lover
So...it's absurd that no one thinks Michiru is weird, no matter what she does, just because she's pretty. Isn't it for nothing that Miko lives in agony, no one ever stops and asks if she's okay, because everyone is an idiot?~:shamihuh:
Yeah that's this whole manga tho. MC always looking like she's having a mental breakdown and her close friends and family being at most a little worried.

Dex-chan lover
anyone remember what chapter did the dad first appear? can't seem to find it

Dex-chan lover
Weren't there is some ghost in their bathroom on early chapter?
There was. Though I feel like that wasn't a malicious spirit. Rather it simply existed and caused no harm. The creature with the father however seems to go after certain spirits which it perceives as harmful to others. I was at first confused about why there would be a creature that is just vibing next to the dad but then I remembered a few key points (mostly based from my own upbringing in rural Japan where this stuff matters more)
1. All houses have an enshrined deity. In some cases there are even home bound spirits who have the task of guarding a home. This is signified by the kamidana which is a home shinto shrine.
2. The being matches in general appearances the God that was enshrined/sealed at the Shrine they visited.
3. Mikos home never seems to play host to malevolent beings. They never seem to enter and whenever something does get in, this thing deals with them.
4. Because it has a role, it has a tendency to defend itself. And in the case of this last chapter Yuria tries an ill advised exorcism on the creature to which it threatens her (though she cannot tell this)
5. When michirous poltergeist tries to attack the dad as a symbol of wanting to replace the thing Miko cares about most with herself, the creature directly intervenes.

That all being said, I think it's a different deal for each home. Like how the cat guys home is watched over by his wife and the dead cats. In that case, it leans into the old legend of the cat becoming a nekomata or a similar spiritual deity that's different than a yokai when they die but are loved.

I feel like a lot of mieruko chan really does require pre-existing knowledge of the yokai lore, but that a general reader can get the broad sweeps, but miss the subtleties based upon cultural upbringing.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I feel like her dad and man dog would be a good ghost companion for her fr

Users who are viewing this thread