Modern Villainess: It’s Not Easy Building a Corporate Empire Before the Crash - Vol. 1 Ch. 6 - The Lady's Flight (3)

I'm gonna need some explanations, but what I'm getting is that:
  • Buying Saikai fulfills their security requirement
  • Having a solid plan for cleaning up Saikai saves the security department a lot of trouble, which gives them reason to allow the purchase without complaint.
  • Being bought, and forcing everyone to publicly resign, and getting a new loan all serve to delay the bank run and allow MC's tech stocks to grow enough to actually pay for all the bad debt
  • But she underestimated just how bad the internal problems are and they're still deep in trouble.
I'm guessing forcing everyone to resign wasn't enough to root out the corruption, which embezzled the loan they just got.
First of all, I'd like to correct you as it is "Sankai". Second of all, I'd agree with your first three points, and you're close at your fourth, but if I remember correctly, Naoyuki doesn't work at Sankai, but at Hokkaido Kaitaku. Still, it's great that you were able to follow along the plot!

Honestly, everytime a chapter finish they try to make it into a cliff hanger for some reason, which doesn't really work, there's no cliffhanger if you don't understand the story lol
Honestly, it does annoy me. The way they handle the chapter's end reminds me of Japanese TV Dramas, which I mostly enjoy except the overly dramatic endings to each episode.

Here's a quick breakdown for those unable to follow Loli MC's schemes:
  • Invest in overseas Tech companies to make $$$
  • Don't use Japan Banks to avoid local government regulations and banking collapse
  • Keep the government's eyes off them (government makes the rules, so something legal now may be illegal tomorrow)
  • During the banking collapse, purchase a bank at fire-sale prices
  • To keep from collapsing her new bank, bundle the bad loans and sell them for less than worth (The Big Short)
  • Survive the collapse, now trade within the Japanese Government's regulations
  • Now owning a bank, work with government to WRITE new regulations going forward (Crony Capitalism). New regulations that obvious favor themselves.
A wrench in that plan could be several: 1) she grossly underestimated the debt of these other banks, which could lead into collapse of an industry she didn't anticipate (perhaps Real Estate? You don't really OWN a bank if you don't own the land it's on [that's how McDonalds was acquired from original owners]). or 2) the government is more freaked out than expected and will overregulate into their own destruction.
I'd disagree with your Fourth Point, as other than selling those loans in a lower price To The Government , she also fending off the collapse of the bank by asking for an unlimited loan From The Central Bank (theoretically either she doesn't need to pay the loan within a set amount of time of she could increase the amount she loaned infinitely).

Other than that, good analysis.

thank you for doing this series. Honestly I'm amazed at how you are capable of translating this monster and doing so carefully without glossing over any details!

Also, that's one of the finest redrawing I've ever seen Su1phur! Bless you and may you always be healthy!

Anw, here's what I get from this chapter, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

- She bought the Sankai company after some thinking, this has several benefits:
  1. The Ministry of Finance will now be off her case.
  2. The collapse of the Hokkaido Kaitaku bank (where the maid's son works) started from Sankai, so buying Sankai and keeps it afloat buys everyone time. The Securities Bureau is now indebted to her for this.
  3. Since Sankaid didn't collapse, the Banking Bureau now has favors from the Securities Bureau, which if you think about it is all thanks to her. So in a way, the Banking Bureau should thank her for giving them the favors (this is just my guess)
- However the situation seems to be worse than what she expected, since saving Sankai clearly wasn't enough to help the Hokkaido Kaitaku.
On Point. Though as I understand, Runa used the Banking Bureau to contact the Securities Bureau and help her make a deal with them in regards with Sankai, while the Banking Bureau used her and her deal as leverage to the Securities Bureau to get something that they want from them, which wasn't specified. I could be wrong in this, do note of that.

I'm surprised she fired everyone in the top positions of the firm. People like to believe solving corruption is as easy as getting rid of the people doing so, but those people have been in the position for several years and there's a lot of know-how they completely lost by doing that
Indeed, though one would say that since their tenure led to the dire situation of the company, their perceived incompetence and corruption (whether justified or not) outweighs their knowledge of how the company works. Removing them also allows Loyal and Competent Executives to fill in those positions. It's also a deterrent for other executives, giving them an incentive to be more risk-averse, preventing Moral Hazzard. Or so they said to us.

The first Keika Rule seems to be more about making a show.
She is showing the public and market an aggressive restructuring on the company, and hopefully bring back trust about them turning a new page. As owner, she can also appoint new competent managers from elsewhere to fill the position.
The problem it would bring is probably making other companies afraid because her help will always means top executive will get kicked. But they're usually desperate to get bailed out anyway.

It's the second rule that actually chase the people who do the corruption and held them accountable.

Third rule clean up the house and dispose the bad debts.

Fourth rule is a deal to ensure the MoF cooperation if they want Runa's money to rescue the financial institution.
Well, for the executives of an ailing company, they're going to lose their positions anyway when the company goes bankrupt, so they'll probably wouldn't mind her acquisition if they're aware ,and they've accepted, that they couldn't make a turnaround happen.

Dex-chan lover
Here's a quick breakdown for those unable to follow Loli MC's schemes:
  • Invest in overseas Tech companies to make $$$
  • Don't use Japan Banks to avoid local government regulations and banking collapse
  • Keep the government's eyes off them (government makes the rules, so something legal now may be illegal tomorrow)
  • During the banking collapse, purchase a bank at fire-sale prices
  • To keep from collapsing her new bank, bundle the bad loans and sell them for less than worth (The Big Short)
  • Survive the collapse, now trade within the Japanese Government's regulations
  • Now owning a bank, work with government to WRITE new regulations going forward (Crony Capitalism). New regulations that obvious favor themselves.
A wrench in that plan could be several: 1) she grossly underestimated the debt of these other banks, which could lead into collapse of an industry she didn't anticipate (perhaps Real Estate? You don't really OWN a bank if you don't own the land it's on [that's how McDonalds was acquired from original owners]). or 2) the government is more freaked out than expected and will overregulate into their own destruction.
Thank you for the explanation, I think I understand a little better now.

And thanks for the translations, SSS scans!

Double-page supporter
Silicon Signature Swisse Accused of Fraudulent Accounting

Silicon Signature Swisse (SSS), a privately held organization specializing in "Economics and Financial Entertainment", is in hot water after a whistleblower going by the name SU1PHUR came forward with documents demonstrating the (alleged) serious malpractice.

SU1PHUR has managed to insert these documents as page 26 of SSS's latest release, chapter 6 of Modern Villainess: It’s Not Easy Building a Corporate Empire Before the Crash.

In the last panel of said page, it's easy to verify the origin of each of the numbers in the background. In particular, the "80,000,000,000" refers to the non-performing loans of Sankai Securities, written as "800億円" (80 billion yens) in the rightmost text.

But in the second panel of the same page, the value has been surreptitiously changed to "280,000,000,000" - the same value that is used in page 4.

While the general public has been quick to condemn SSS, an accountant, speaking on condition of anonymity, provided a more nuanced evaluation. "The original text doesn't provide an exact amount. It only says "約800億円", which means "about 80 billion yens". So, it's technically not wrong."

This opinion is clearly not shared by SU1PHUR, who hated "WITH A BURNING PASSION" working on the doctoring.

SSS has made no public statement as of the time of writing.

Dex-chan lover
My guess for the maid son begging her is because the firm wants to make him the scapegoat for the crisis.
And in japanese work society that would make him unable to get a job fitting his abilities anymore.
Is even possible that by framing him they will make him responsible for the losses.
That could make him kill himself so to free his family from the burden.

Dex-chan lover
All of this manga is flying right over my head, but it's interesting enough that I'm still invested. That's something hard to do with something as complex as "I'm going to solve Japan's financial crisis!"

Dex-chan lover
Well, for the executives of an ailing company, they're going to lose their positions anyway when the company goes bankrupt, so they'll probably wouldn't mind her acquisition if they're aware ,and they've accepted, that they couldn't make a turnaround happen.
Yes.
I just thought it would be problematic for when there are institutions they need to rescue quickly while the clock is ticking, but the executives are still clinging onto their position so they keep delaying the situation.

Although, after several acquisition, everyone in the business probably would understand Keika Rules are final and non-negotiable if they want her help. And the reputation she make with the MoF about cleaning up problems will also allow her to get their help in pressuring the companies to not waste time until things turns from worse to worst.

Is it after this, when she decide she will not just save her arse, but to aim for a more livable Japan for the future?

Dex-chan lover
Well, this released when Vol.3 of the Official English translation of the LN got released roughly a week ago in my area...; and I only managed to actually get the Volume yesterday. LOL. Still reading.

Ok. I just re-read the the pages on the LN in regards to the current chapter. While some events were switched and/or added like the talk of setting up a new securities vs buying one out was done before finding out that Naomi-san's son works in Hokkaido Keitaku in the LN when in the manga it was revealed first before that talk. On that note, Runa was still undecided if she wanted to set up a new Securities firm or buy one out when they were talking about it. It was the reveal that Naomi-san's son works in Hokkaido Keitaku that pushed Runa to go with the buy out option. There was no scene of "Runa finding the idea of going the buy out route while in the loo" in the LN.

In terms of finding out as to what is better or not (ie LN or Manga), I feel that there is definitely a different tone in which the Manga is trying to show here. In the LN, there is a certain "Actions of a genius" grace in which Runa shows an almost effortless mindset in which she executes her schemes and ideas (as is befitting of an overpowered Villainess that is set to be the rival of an equally "overpowered" MC in a visual novel) that is tempered by the fact that she is basically also an Isekai character too. The actions of a genius and schemer of a high aptitude that is extremely out of place from a normal grade schooler but is "to be expected" from an Isekai character and what is going to be the "Villainess" of a visual novel (that is actually quite competent, if I read it right).

The manga meanwhile gives a LOT more detail to the scenes (seeing their faces drawn out and expressions is very nice) and gives Runa a more "human" side to her decision making. What does that mean? It shows that Runa is really more of an "Isekai character" that has the backing of the inherently Genius-tier base character that can show her the "correct" way of getting what she wants. In the LN, the "Isekai characteristics" is more shown in future scenes like her taste in classical music and singing such things. Or even when she prefers to actually visit a mall to shop vs doing an out-of-store visitation from such places . Heck, it is even shown when she introduces Teia-kun to the vending machine and getting him hooked on Cola.. When it comes to the financial stuff, the Isekai characteristic and the inherent genius of Runa is more blended together.

There is nothing wrong with the manga taking some liberties on the source material (LN) to make it a better read and showing a different take on Runa-chan while ensuring that it is still at the very core the same person and settings. Infact, I like it a lot. It provides another perspective and an illustrated version to further enhance the source material. As a side note, some "official translators" and companies needs to learn from this kind of adaptation of a source material. Seriously, it is quite embarrassing to witness.

The Keika Rules finally made its showing. I see that most people got the general gist of it but doesn't get the intricacies and details as to why it is done that way. It does take quite a bit of background knowledge (like the knowledge of how companies work in Japan, especially during that time period, is one. The fact that she is a "recognized daughter" of the Keikain dukedom is another.) to fully grasp as to why she laid out such rules for Runa-chan to make such moves. Overall tho, it is to ensure that she has full control of her actions and having the freedom to enact such actions without any interference. This will be significant later.

Overall, I like seeing how this section is done in the manga and how SSS + GN did their work on providing a translated version that is made well and is readable. Good work on the redrawing (seriously, I can only imagine the absolute pain it must be) and the explanations are adequate enough. It is a bit hard to do so without overcomplicating it. Plain english is best but then if you dumb it down too much it'll lose its intended meaning. Bleh. Also, the thoughts on things is very nice and has some logical merit but it does come with caveats and the fact that (as far as I can tell), you're not an accredited financial adviser :p.

This has gone on for long enough. TLDR? Good stuff. Some things were changed from the source material but it doesn't detract from it (unlike some other attempts by others). Some people might be confused but it'll (hopefully) make sense as the manga goes on. Good job on SSS's and GN's work. Thank you for your hard work.

All of that stuff and it gets condensed into 5 lines. I might be itching to write something.

Dex-chan lover
Is it after this, when she decide she will not just save her arse, but to aim for a more livable Japan for the future?

As is illustrated and shown within the first few pages of the first chapter in the manga:

"I... want to defy that destiny."

"This is... The story of Us defying destiny."

Dex-chan lover
May I ask in which part of the chapter you found difficulty in understanding certain financial, political, or narrative concepts? At SiliconSignatureSuisse, we take our clients' concerns and feedback seriously, particularly regarding the comprehensibility of our translations. We prioritize clarity and aim to improve our services based on your feedback.

May I ask in which part of the chapter you found difficulty in understanding certain financial, political, or narrative concepts? At SiliconSignatureSuisse, we take our clients' concerns and feedback seriously, particularly regarding the comprehensibility of our translations. We prioritize clarity and aim to improve our services based on your feedback.
Inner workings of banks vastly changed from 00's and I am from different country too, it's natural I won't get many things, My comment's first part was mostly joke . If I have to say I totally didn't understand any part that would be Banks downfall that still happened even after Our MC baught (?) Thoose. They quickly gloss over this in LN , hope Manga would explain this little more in next chapter.

Dex-chan lover
Dang so even people with banking knowledge struggle to get it?

Well I guess I feel less stupid now at least

On another topic, I think I know what H manga that girl is from...
575047.jpg

You like the "milking" manga too eh? :smugnako:
Fellow man of culture I see 🤝

Silicon Signature Swisse Accused of Fraudulent Accounting

Silicon Signature Swisse (SSS), a privately held organization specializing in "Economics and Financial Entertainment", is in hot water after a whistleblower going by the name SU1PHUR came forward with documents demonstrating the (alleged) serious malpractice.

SU1PHUR has managed to insert these documents as page 26 of SSS's latest release, chapter 6 of Modern Villainess: It’s Not Easy Building a Corporate Empire Before the Crash.

In the last panel of said page, it's easy to verify the origin of each of the numbers in the background. In particular, the "80,000,000,000" refers to the non-performing loans of Sankai Securities, written as "800億円" (80 billion yens) in the rightmost text.

But in the second panel of the same page, the value has been surreptitiously changed to "280,000,000,000" - the same value that is used in page 4.

While the general public has been quick to condemn SSS, an accountant, speaking on condition of anonymity, provided a more nuanced evaluation. "The original text doesn't provide an exact amount. It only says "約800億円", which means "about 80 billion yens". So, it's technically not wrong."

This opinion is clearly not shared by SU1PHUR, who hated "WITH A BURNING PASSION" working on the doctoring.

SSS has made no public statement as of the time of writing.

Official Statement from Silicon Signature Swisse (SSS) Regarding Recent Allegations

At Silicon Signature Swisse (SSS), we vehemently deny any and all allegations of fraudulent accounting practices. Our commitment to financial integrity and transparency is unwavering, and we maintain the highest standards in all aspects of our operations.

We acknowledge the recent claims made against our company, specifically related to the scanlation of the 6th chapter of the "Modern Villainess: It’s Not Easy Building a Corporate Empire Before the Crash" manga. We firmly state that these isolated pages are being taken out of context and do not accurately reflect our meticulous accounting practices.

We wish to clarify that our clerical accounting work is outsourced to Great Northern, a reputable and trusted firm. We have complete confidence in their expertise and dedication, and we collaborate in good faith to ensure utmost accuracy and adherence to all relevant regulations. We stand by the data we receive from them unless our internal investigation indicates otherwise.

Maintaining transparency with our clients and stakeholders has always been our priority at SSS. We strive to provide precise and reliable financial information at all times. Any discrepancies or errors that may occur are unintentional and are promptly rectified as soon as they come to our attention.

Rest assured, we are taking the recent allegations seriously. A comprehensive internal review is underway to address any concerns raised, and we will take the necessary steps to ensure the accuracy and integrity of our financial records.

As of now, we will refrain from making further public statements concerning the specifics of the accusations until our internal investigation is concluded. We appreciate your understanding as we conduct a thorough examination of the matter.

We value the unwavering support and trust of our clients and partners, and we are dedicated to upholding the highest ethical standards in all our operations. Moving forward, we will continue to serve our clients with utmost dedication and integrity.

We thank you for your understanding and cooperation. We will not be entertaining any further questions at this time as we focus on resolving this matter with diligence and precision.

Users who are viewing this thread