New feature: Data saver option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
Thanks! I can read Manga with freedom again without having to watch over my limited data

Fed-Kun's army
Thank god the server updates are on their way. I don't know about anyone else down here in Australia but the load times right now are killing me! I can barely load the front page at certain times of day, let alone use the reader.

Does this data saver affect Tachiyomi? I am thinking yes since you kind of login to Mangadex inside the app, no?

Dex-chan lover
@nimo2 compatibility issues with what? According to caniuse, it has 77.04% browser support based on weighed usage. With IE going chrome, every modern browser supports it other than safari. It is well worth it to offer it as an option as it is a BIG saving vs jpeg.

Serve everyone webp and safari can continue using jpeg or tell them to use chrome for datasaving option

I second @eng1
Its largely apple/iphones that don't support it, and even then it only does not support them with default things.
webp is able to compress a fairly large amount without quality issues that the current method has, and I appreciate the current method especially with this while your servers are barely going 20kbps at the moment, but it would be a better long term solution to go webp. if the its happening, I would rather it happen right the first time and not get a 'but we already have a method' down the line when compatibility is accorss the board.

It's nice and fast here in SEA region but compression artifact is noticeable 🤐

Still pretty slow here in NAM. Hopefully the servers are just slow because they're working hard on the jpeg compression and things will get better in the coming days.

Dex-chan lover
@alidan @eng1

A couple months ago we had a group that uploaded a couple webp chapters.

We got 100s of reports on them, some people could read them, many couldn't.
Turns out chrome users were fine, but the users of most other browsers had issues.
We'd rather not repeat this.
https://mangadex.org/thread/154751

Despite webp being compatible with major browsers for a while now, there was still issues.

Dex-chan lover
@samhill no one is saying to make webp default, we are asking to make webp an option for datasaver.

On top of that since then firefox and edge added support to webp, only browser left is safari. So if you make datasaver default to webp for everone and safari to do jpeg, everyone wins.

I see no reason to punish everyone with slower speeds just because of 1 browser

Or if you dont want to do a browser check let people pick option like:

Webp compression - fastest - high quality (does not work on safari)
Jpeg compression - slower - low quality (safari)

@Samhill
well... 20kb is what the servers were giving my files at, and given the option between horribly compressed jpeg to the point it is making some of the text hard to read, or a FAR better format that for the same file size would look a hell of alot better, just tell people to use X browser for file saver, and there we go, or have a disclaimer when a webp chapter comes up on what browsers are compatible with it.

Dex-chan lover
@eng1 Apple is famous for not giving a shit about customer feedback, but if enough people complain publicly, Apple would implement it, fearing it might lose customers otherwise. The more websites use the format, the more Apple users would complain, and the more likely Apple would be to react. In the end even the Apple users themselves would benefit from it, obtaining the support eventually.

Dex-chan lover
@samhill when it was tried it was before firefox nad edge added it, it was also default.

What is being asked for is webp for datasaver feature specifically. As long as users pick the option. Or safari is filtered out, there will be no issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread