New feature: Data saver option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miku best girl
Admin
I'd like more feedback from people using data saver on whether it has improved loading speeds for you guys.

It is still slow, but a lot better. Instead of waiting 20 secs for a page to load it loads in like 5 secs.

@holo I would like to support MD as I have been here since the very start, but do not use any paypal or bitcoin. Are there any plans to add other support methods like Visa/Mastercard?

Miku best girl
Admin
@eCinS

Good to hear.

Unfortunately not at this time - given the nature of this site, it is difficult for us to use conventional methods of accepting money...

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@eng1 Safari doesn't support it, which means iPhones as a whole can't use it, and on greyscale images webp is barely superior to PNG. It's usually a couple of percent saved and it's not worth the effort.

Dex-chan lover
@bravedude8

1) iphones and safari make up less than 20% marketshare of internet traffic, saying something that would benefit the majority isnt worth it is weird

2) iphones can support it if they use chrome browser on ios

3) there are color images for cn and korean works which are only increasing

4) a few kb times millions of views makes a difference

5) you can simply make the webp for everyone other than safari, everyone wins

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@eng1

A 2% gain in return for cutting off 20% of the users from a specific feature isn't ideal. All iOS browsers use Webkit, and Webkit does not support webp. There are full color works, yes, but only a small fraction of the site. Using webp in addition means storing three copies of every image instead of two. It's meant to serve lower quality versions of compressed color images, we're primarily dealing with uncompressed greyscale images.

@holo
Not sure if this is the right place to be asking this, but is the cost breakdown on the support page the monthly cost for running the site? The page mentions monthly users so I'm assuming it is (and because I have no idea on how much this stuff costs) but a clarification on how frequently those costs are incurred would be appreciated, especially on the page itself.

@holo
If Data saver distress the servers, it could be ON by default and only a accessible option after login. Many people won't notice.

I don't know how the extra computational usage versus bandwidth reduction ends up on the server side, but if it turns out the data saver is easier on the servers I wouldn't mind some kind of "flexible" option where I get served originals when the servers are doing fine and then get served the compressed ones when servers are getting hammered.

No clue if this is feasible, or even if it helps you, but if it does help the servers and is possible to implement I would absolutely opt for such behavior.

@AbyssalMonkey
Despite logging in being a simple task, I don't strongly disagree in let it always available. But I think they should put Data saver ON by default for a week and compare the results

Fed-Kun's army
@Holo
Data saver is working well for me (chrome on Android). Been reading a few series uploaded a while back, and big improvement in loading time since the recent slowdown. Like the other user said, loads now 5-10s vs 30s-1m (w/ clicking the reload on error button).
Good luck & thanks for the hard work!

Miku best girl
Admin
@AbyssalMonkey

While you may have a point about the freedom of access, there are other operational reasons why people reading with accounts is a good thing. It does mean greater control, which isn't a bad thing because then we would be able to see who exactly is abusing the servers and it would be easier to ban them. Without some form of authentication, it is more challenging to deal with the bad actors out there.

Data saver loads the pages for me now, rather than needing to wait 3mins to load 1 page, From SEA
Good new option

A very hard decision to make, but I think I’ll stay off MangaDex for the time being, until these issues get fixed. It’s probably going to fuck me over, but I really dislike the layout of the Chrome app and prefer Safari. I’m sure I can get used to it, but there’s a particular feature that bothers me when I’m reading and I really don’t wanna deal with it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love MangaDex, ever since I encountered this website two years back, I was using it every chance I got. And I’m really happy to see more readers starting to use MangaDex, but it’s really sad to see the images load slowly.

Edit: Seems to have fixed itself when I checking back in, perhaps it’s only certain chapters loading fine? Long strips seem to load better than single page.

Edit2: As an iOS user, I turned on data saver which allowed for images to load a bit faster, but caused for half a page to load at a time (if viewing in single page) and an extended period of time spent on waiting for the second half of the page to load.

Also, it seems only newer chapters have little to no issues loading. I thought adding these comments might help to troubleshoot, somewhat.

Double-page supporter
This could be useful if I could get the site itself to actually load, just getting this comments page to open took like 2 minutes. How much longer till you upgrade the servers because this site has become completely unusable lately.

@P3n6m4t1x Aussie here. My experience isnt as bad as yours in regards to the main page but, yeah, the reader has been really laggy in loading. Even now, it's still laggy for me with single pages sometimes taking a minute and a half to load per page. Hopefully once the upgrade is fully complete, us suffering aussies will get some load time relief.

Edit: Site itself in general lagging heavily off and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread