New feature: Data saver option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for all Mangadex staff, data saver really save me because of my limited data plan

Thank you so much for this option - I primarily read on my phone and I barely notice the quality difference. Meanwhile, pages are loading faster than ever!

Damn... I search the setting for an hour...
Finally i can find it on the profile setting.

Does anyone realize there are 3 "settings" in this site?
The first "MangaDex Setting" to choose the theme, language, and hentai.
The second "Reader Setting" to choose how the page would be read.
The third "Username > Setting > Page Setting" to use the data saver.

we really need "Bocchi-sensei! Teach me MangaDex!" to be updated

Miku best girl
Admin
We will make some changes to data saver, and make it tied to the device and not the account.

So this means guests can also use it, and people with accounts can have it on for their mobiles but not desktops.

Dex-chan lover
So now that it checks for device already, can we get webp as an option? Pretty kitten please?

ezgif-com-add-text-3.gif

Group Leader
Suggestion: make a one-time pop up of choosing data saver on or off by default (for Guest and New User).
This is useful to ease your server bandwidth and for the user data.

or maybe make a switch on upper corner of the site, or above the "mangadex and pathnetwork copyright" on the chapter page.

Thank youuuuu.... Everything load faster now. No need waiting for minutes for a single page.

I just turned on data saver mode, and I just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH! I don't know if this has been an issue for others, but mangadex has been loading very slowly for me the past couple days, to the point where images would sometimes just time out. Was contemplating even resorting to other manga sites meanwhile *shivers*. But this mode fixes all of that, the site works perfectly fine now. Even if there was a problem with the servers that was causing the recent slowdown, I wouldn't mind keeping this mode around, it definitely is a lifesaver for people with slower connections.

Power Uploader
@eng1 It's been said before but the moment you use webp, you'll force 3x amount of data on the server: The original uploaded files, the data saver version of both WEBP and JPG. That defeats the whole purpose of lightening server load.

@RonBWL

Even if you store 10x image sizes to your server, it won't affect server load latency, the same principle as your HDD isn't gonna take away your CPU and RAM resources. Unless you cache those images on memory with redis or something, which is something silly to do if you just want to store an image.

Really like the data thingie, instead of waiting ten seconds for each image to load, now i can read a chapter with no waiting time. Great feature.

@Holo

It would be great for this data server to be more accessible and be activated at the flip of a switch. I find some chapters load fine at certain times of the day and only enable the data saver feature when chapters fail to load.
It would help a great deal if this feature can be accessed on the reader

Things are loading MUCH faster since I switched to data saver. I do prefer the HQ images, especially for the two-page spreads, but I'm more than happy to read at a lower quality if it means I get to read faster and reduce the stress on the server at the same time.

Lya

I am trying to read manga but to read its slow the chapters are downloading too slow to read

@Holo, it works so far, save for the .gif error reported by others. It reduces load times but the time it saves is only noticeable on comics made for long strips or ridiculously big images. I never had much of an issue with loading times here save in those two cases.

If this helps you guys with server costs, I am ok with using it.

Could this be enabled by default for the mobile pages, or maybe a separate option for it? Would be nice on my phone but I'd rather have full res on my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread