New feature: Data saver option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Double-page supporter
@Holo

Any chance to see "data saver" option in settings available without login?

Edit: use imageinterlace() to set interlace bit on. Progressive jpegs will save extra 10-15%.

Group Leader
For saving data from PNG yes it works but sometimes too much compression especially on colored comic.
Many people having slow issues when loading MD same to me in sea but using VPN solve that problem.

Seems like data saver doesn't work in gifs and consistantly returns the "failed to load" warning. Probably irrelevant in most cases but confusing nonetheless.

Here is a case of it https://mangadex.org/chapter/898308/15

Fed-Kun's army
Tried using the new data saver option and it helps a lot on loading some pages.
There's some awful compression and especially noticeable on some colored pages, but it's still readable and actually served its purpose... which is to load faster and still good enough to read, at least for me.

Of course, if maybe someday path network can have some server near SEA, i prob gonna turn it off... but for now, it stayed on.

Double-page supporter
> There's some awful compression

It's called "data saver" for a reason. BTW it's 40% jpeg, what did you expect? 🤣

Power Uploader
This is a good option for a lot of people, and I'm glad to see it implemented... but one of the main reasons I use Mangadex is because the images don't get re-sampled during upload... I already optimize my files before uploading, so I don't need them to be re-sampled.
So, I hope this will remain opt-in and the main files for chapters will continue to not be re-sampled.

Dex-chan lover
@bravedude8

The improvement is way more than 2%(even on greyscale), and its not ideal but nothing ever is. There is no reason not to give a feature most can benefit from if possible.

Looking at the front page right now of latest releases half or more are colored. Do remember cn releases way faster than jp, and even in jp there are some colored ones, then there is kr which is colored as well.

Storage space is less costly than bandwidth

Giving option for webp datasaver benefits everyone, even safari users since others will consume less bandwidth so thier stuff will load faster

Aggregator gang
The new server upgrades are in progress. We are upgrading both our NA and EU cache servers. The NA cache server is already in place, and the EU one is expected over the next couple of days.
Is this why image loading times have been such a mess the past ~5 days?

jpg is a bad choice :/ too much artifact, how about except pngs as png-8 or converting to png-8?

Could it be moved to reader settings? That way it would be more useful for dealing with sudden drops in bandwidth, since 90% of the time I don't even notice page loading but the remaining 10% it can take minutes per page.

I can’t wait til the last server is finished. Just reading a chapter is taking too long to load to read.

This is a lifesaver for SEA internet, TYVM team!!!

btw some older manga failed to load for me when i try to read them, or some of them need reload (many times) before showing up

keep up the good work

I think PNG8 with pngquant would be better than JPG cuz you get sharp text & it works almost everywhere (unlike webp). Only downside is colored gradients get dithered.

Also, data saver options in the reader view would be good also cuz it's more visible & you can control per-manga easily.

Dex-chan lover
Personally, I prefer the glorious HQ images, but I hope that if enough people use this, it'll stop choking bandwidth on the server side and make the site more useable for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread