New feature: Manga volume cover galleries! Site usage has been increasing significantly over the past month, please support us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miku best girl
Admin
Today's new feature is the addition of an image gallery for manga volumes. Any logged in user can upload a cover image! (Contact staff via the reporting function if you want to replace an image). For an example, see https://mangadex.org/title/15553/tensei-shitara-slime-datta-ken/covers/

Site usage has been increasing significantly over the past month (a 20% increase vs the previous month), so we're probably going to be looking at server upgrades again in the near future. Our anniversary is coming up soon, and I will be providing detailed activity reports then.

Thanks to everyone who have supported us. Please visit here if you would like to do so!

Merry Christmas!

Holo

Group Leader
Awesome feature guys but... you sure this feature won’t be abused? Shouldn’ uploading be limited to editors only? Who knows what else people will upload...

Dex-chan lover
You may already be aware, but the "upload cover" button currently just takes you to a login screen, even if you are already logged in.

Miku best girl
Admin
@orochijes You're right. Should be fixed now.

@teriguu It's similar to how we allow any logged in user to upload chapters. If anyone does spam upload rubbish, they would get caught and banned.

Power Uploader
Really good feature

In the next update if possible consider adding a feature to create our own manga list (like plan to read, dropped, etc. that you have already provided). I wanted add list like favourites, consider re-reading, etc.
Thanks anyway.

Dex-chan lover
The button works now, but when I select a file it doesn't seem to get uploaded and clicking save doesn't seem to do anything without a file. Also, is putting a single integer like 1 or 2 fine for the Volume field?

For your info, the cover I chose has size 1.25 MB and has dimensions 1001x1425 px. Are this cover's properties okay?

is a Reindeer
VIP
I did 20-30 crossdressing series in an hour or so, was fun

https://mangadex.org/title/718/akb49-renai-kinshi-jourei/covers/

Dex-chan lover
Site usage has been increasing significantly over the past month (a 20% increase vs the previous month), so we're probably going to be looking at server upgrades again in the near future. Our anniversary is coming up soon, and I will be providing detailed activity reports then.

I'm quite curious as to how you guys were able to scale that much traffic. Do you happen to use containers in your infrastructure? It would be great if you could share with us the technical challenges that comes into running MangaDex under the hood.

Thanks for this feature! Just a heads up: I found some covers and back covers on Comic Vine! You just need to resize them to 1000 px and they are good to go :)

Dex-chan lover
So it's working for all of you huh? I've tried multiple different sizes, switching between png and jpg, and using different browsers. It still never uploads for me.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Zonko If you let us know which manga it is, we can replace the previously uploaded covers with higher res versions.

@Orochijes Try clearing cookies/cache for MangaDex and see if that helps. Make sure the series you're trying to edit isn't locked as well.

@Plykiya I'm currently working on Katekyo Hitman Reborn! or https://mangadex.org/title/109/katekyo-hitman-reborn/ I'm using the ones at Comic Vine: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/katekyo-hitman-reborn/4050-35414/ so far they look good and even have the back covers.

Contributor
Any way you can just take the current cover database at https://mcd.iosphe.re/ ? Also worth suggesting from that site, they separate covers depending on releases, since there are some manga that are re-published at one point, or simply from another country. Would be cool to be able to separate those, like so https://mcd.iosphe.re/manga/1395/.
Great addition by the way, thanks for all the work.

Group Leader
I was wondering what this about since i didn't read the announcement
Thank u so much guys

Dex-chan lover
Will the page update immediately? I uploaded a couple of covers for Domestic Na Kanojo and it's still doesn't show anything.

Group Leader
Awesome. I've always wanted to know what past covers of a series looked like, but didn't have the time/patience to search for the best looking image online. I tested it with the series that I'm working on, and it's fantastic. Feels a lot more whole now...

But...
giphy.gif

...what about duplicates of the same cover? Would they both/all be allowed if:
- exact same image, but they look different enough, neither better than the other (i.e. scanned by two different sources...Because for some really older series, a digital version might not exist, only the scanned ones with varying degrees of quality.
- the tankobon covers vs magazine covers which usually look very different.
- Special edition/exclusive/alternate covers from different retailers, such as the case with Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun volume 10.
- Covers from various country's region-specific versions, or different language covers.
- Reprints from different publishers, or even the same publisher but different covers (i.e. anniversary editions).
- And finally, collected omnibus covers usually 3 or more volumes in 1.

...and all that is just concerning the same volume cover number.

And what about back covers (usually with the spine and inner lip of the book's dust jacket), if they're available...or do you just want the front covers only?

If a volume cover does have multiple different versions (i.e. magazine vs tankobon, or otherwise) then it'd be neat to have that thumbnail in a stack, so clicking it would reveal more versions.

That ends my tangent rambling. Bottom line: the is a great and very welcomed additional feature. Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread