New feature: Manga volume cover galleries! Site usage has been increasing significantly over the past month, please support us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
@Holo Out of curiosity, shouldn't it logically follow (no pun intended) that the ratings button also be relocated there next to the follow button?

Contributor
@Holo Any chance the user would be allowed to configurate the display layout of manga information on each page? Been wondering this since the tag and layout rework, and now I'm wondering the same for the "Follow" button and co. I'm really just that used to using it there, so having it below the cover page seems out of place for me.

This feature is amazing, but it's been mentioned a few times that users will be exposed to spoilers because the latest cover is shown by default. Are there any plans to change this?

Miku best girl
Admin
@firelight Yes, there are plans to hide the latest volumes depending on your reading progress. It's linked to my upcoming feature update.

Group Leader
@Holo Will the reader be able to override the block of cover images if they want to see them? Seems pretty silly to spend all that time to upload the cover images if only those who are currently reading a specific volume can see the image. If someone has already read volumes 1, 2 and 3 elsewhere and start reading volume 4 here on mangadex, will those previous volume images be blocked? Could end up being a programming quagmire...

Hello,

Will we be able to filter Demographic genre ?

Because some manga bypass the genre filter...

Miku best girl
Admin
@FredFriendly

A new feature is coming where you can track progress of everything you read, even chapters from other places (e.g. official scans or group sites).

Contributor
OH BOY! I have at least a TB of covers from when the first manga cover database was active. Wish there was mass upload...

eli

Group Leader
@Holo said:
image gallery for manga volumes. Any logged in user can upload a cover image!
Great idea/feature! I always like cataloguing these… How should we deal with uploading Japanese and English versions of covers? Only one seems to be allowed per decimal number (I tried zero-padding it to see if it'd catch that too ?). I uploaded all the Japanese Yotsuba&! ones just now, but it'd be cool to have the official English versions as well…

As an aside, being able to drag & drop onto the browse button instead of going through your browser/operating system's file selection dialog would be amazing – for this, and for uploading chapters or cover images. Should just be a simple JS implementation used on many other sites…

EDIT: Other random comments:
[ul][li]In the "(Uploader: xxx)" text, hyperlinking to users' profiles may be handy.[/li][li]Giving uploaders an option to delete their uploaded covers, like we can do chapters, might be good as well.[/li][li]Relatedly, maybe an option on profiles to see your uploaded covers, just like you can see uploaded chapters? Users could turn this off if they so choose.[/li][/ul]

is a Reindeer
VIP
@eli Preferably the original language cover, not any localizations.

We can recover deleted chapters, we can't currently recover deleted covers if we let users delete them

Group Leader
Are these going to be made editable? I'd like to change the volume number on vol 1 of Tsugumomo to 1.1 but I don't see a way to do so, I also don't see a way to delete one I've added.

Power Uploader
Please add an indicator that the cover has started uploading. Although it'll usually take only a second or two, I don't know whether I've clicked save or not.

If the cover is currently volume 5, should that also be "reuploaded" to the gallery?

Group Leader
On the front page, low on the sidebar you have a latest posts field for forum and manga. Add another tab for covers.

Contributor
Maybe you should make it the way that the cover of volume 1 should be the cover of the manga as a whole.

you guys should really make a feature where you can see the latest works of the author or artist of a manga also when you search for an author or artist for some reason it pulls up other people with the same name which just becomes a pain to search thru to get to what you want

also im really looking forward to celebrating your anniversary in my room alone i wish you guys best of wishes

Group Leader
@Holo
Yes, there are plans to hide the latest volumes depending on your reading progress. It's linked to my upcoming feature update.
I hope that feature is optional, because I'm one of those that prefers the current setting, to see the latest volume covers (where the current scanlation status is), mainly to get an idea of what I'm getting into in the long run before starting a new series.

@Ominous
Any chance the user would be allowed to configurate the display layout of manga information on each page? Been wondering this since the tag and layout rework, and now I'm wondering the same for the "Follow" button and co. I'm really just that used to using it there, so having it below the cover page seems out of place for me.
I second this. The more optional features the better, I say. Personally, I prefer seeing all the action buttons in one place (mainly since that's what I'm already used to seeing over this past year), but also because that's where my eyes naturally likes to go in a single downward motion: Title>Cover>Genres>Description>Follow

@Pathos91 you should be able to delete your own cover uploads (or at least allow contributors to do so)
@eli Giving uploaders an option to delete their uploaded covers, like we can do chapters, might be good as well.
@rtwpsom2 Are these going to be made editable? I'd like to change the volume number on vol 1 of Tsugumomo to 1.1 but I don't see a way to do so, I also don't see a way to delete one I've added.
^This.

@Plykiya
We can recover deleted chapters, we can't currently recover deleted covers if we let users delete them
Now that makes me wonder; just how many deleted iterations of a chapter does mangadex keep as backup? Because I'd imagine keeping more than a one or two of a single chapter simply takes up unnecessary data space, particularly when it accumulates beyond a certain point. I automatically backup my PC too and even then I don't keep more than the last 2 or 3 backups.

As for covers, if previously replaced covers do eventually become recoverable (no pun intended) by staff or users, then I too also hope to see the same editable/replaceable feature in the future for covers, just as chapters currently are.

Miku best girl
Admin
Every chapter that is deleted is kept, since HDD isn't an issue right now. It makes it easier to restore accidental deletions or when a group goes inactive.

At some point we will probably go through the bin and permanently delete anything that isn't required for archival, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread