New feature: Manga volume cover galleries! Site usage has been increasing significantly over the past month, please support us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contributor
Let's use [switch] as an example. It has the original 13 volumes as a Tankoubon, then later on it has a 7 volume print as a Shinsouban. Is there a way to differentiate the two versions (or more depending on the manga) at this time?

Group Leader
anybody that honestly believes that volume covers show spoilers had better not ever go into a bookstore or library because they'll die from seeing spoilers everywhere

that said, an option for "only show volume 1 covers" would be nice for these kinds of people, but their vandalization of the manga pages, reseting everything to volume 1 covers is exhausting to continually fix. a "show volume cover for current read position" would be cool, but otherwise it should be the most recent cover because mangadex is a library, and when you go to a library you're going to see the latest volume available because that's how reality works

Group Leader
@holo It would be nice, if there also will be a feature to add or maintain a table of content (tankoubon only). Of some sorts we have it with the chapters being uploaded and given the corresponding volume/chapter count, but in many cases (for example weekly magazines) the volumes are unknown until the tankoubon is released. Most of the uploaders don't fix the volume numbers (some are even guessing them wrong) and others don't have permission to do that. A separate ToC where the community is allowed to maintain them would be nice (I would maintain many of them because I package my mangas in tankoubons)

Group Leader
@bastek66 I'm trying to apply your interesting advice, but I only obtain this kind of link
https://rimg.bookwalker.jp/925647/frDGCemG5kX9EBY8IrbThQ__.jpg
Does that procedure change ?

Contributor
@DjAlexDubCheck I don't know where did you get that link, use mine http://cc.bookwalker.jp/coverImage_746528.jpg
But there are unfortunately manga that have no hi-res covers available.

Group Leader
@bastek66
I got it from this page https://bookwalker.jp/dee103f009-5995-4162-8bba-9094d8797ea9/
or https://bookwalker.jp/de20bc8bc0-a538-4ae3-97a4-8969b4a93203/
How do I find images in that server ?

Contributor
@DjAlexDubCheck I don't know how to explain it simpler then I did it already. Server is unaivailable for us. Only link you need know is
http://cc.bookwalker.jp/coverImage_[??????].jpg
Number to place there is between slashes. Just need to reverse order of number and substract 1.

Group Leader
@bastek66 I see it now, I reversed numbers but didn't fully get the subtraction thing: when reading your first post it seemed that I had to delete that last number.
I'm downloading all those Rose covers, so thanks

Contributor
I have noticed that some manga cover uploads are of low quality (250 x 375, for example). The download feature has a couple of suggestions of where to find hi-quality scans. I've found hi-quality scans on Amazon as well. Let's take 29-sai Dokushin Chuuken Boukensha no Nichijou as an example. All uploaded cover images are 250x375. On Amazon, they are 600x896. I hope that some day down the line, we can replace those images with the higher quality ones without going through the Report button.

Gotta be careful, though. There are times where the image may be larger pixel-wise, it is not of higher quality (i.e. blurring) if you are using sites other than those mentioned above. Especially if the cover images you are trying to find are non-Japanese.

Dex-chan lover
Do you want clean covers? Sometimes the only covers I can find is ones with some sort of watermark. I'd also like to see a way to edit/delete our cover uploads as I somehow found a way to screw up almost every time. ?

Dex-chan lover
Cover galleries is great function but I would like to suggest some improvements :)

* Add "language" field to upload form. In many cases there's very small (if any) differences of covers for releases in different languages but in very rare cases there's major differences so it would be good to keep it. So we don't have to upload it like "Volume x.1" or whatever.

* Add "special edition" checkbox to upload form. Differences in covers for normal/special editions aren't rare. So we don't have to upload it like "Volume x.1" or whatever :)

* Add "reprint" checkbox to upload form. Sometimes series receive reprints. In some cases they receive new covers and even different volume numbers.
Good example is To LOVE-ru series. Original Print vs 2016-2017 reprint

Group Leader
Hello, I noticed some series have a
Title is locked. Please contact staff to upload.
notice for uploading covers. What is the rhyme and/or reason behind this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread