Nozomanu Fushi no Boukensha

I've read this on a whim just now and was pleasantly surprised. It's actually pretty good. Recommended.
Gonna check out the LN soon to see how the manga compares to that.

Aggregator gang
Okay, so, This Manga. I feel like talking about something on this Manga's page because I think this one has probably one of the best examples I can use to explain this of any Manga I have read. This problem is not Unique to this Manga by any stretch, it's not even unique to Isekai Manga which I don't think this one technically qualifies as but whatever, Isekai seem to exacerbate it. I will contain myself within Spoiler Tags to so readers don't have to scroll for 50000 years to get past my Word Vomit;

First, some Praise;

This Manga actually avoids a lot of the problems with Isekai Manga and other current Fantasy Manga by not having a Video Game UI just plastered into the world. In fact, it doesn't have hardly any Video Game elements. Mana/Vitality/Spirit is nicely integrated into the World, and using Iron/Bronze/Silver/etc for Adventurer Rankings just feels far better than Letter Rankings. It just makes it seem more like a world that could actually exist for its own sake rather than being a Playground for the MC.

Cursed Items work exactly like they do in old school D&D which probably didn't originate there but it's where I first encountered them and I really like that.

The Characters seem nice though due to the nature of the story we haven't actually been able to see them interact much. It's still early in the story so that is to be expected.

And now for the bad. This Manga has one very major problem. Namely, the Author does not understand the Foundational Principle of Writing;

Show, Don't Tell.

Seriously.

I think this is best demonstrated by the Second Chapter, specifically when he fights the Slime. Y'know how much Narration there is during the Slime Fight? 25 Text Boxes. Twenty Goddamn Five. Y'know how many Text Boxes of Narration are actually necessary to properly convey the information to the reader?

ZERO.

LITERALLY NONE.

Every single bit of information conveyed in these Panels could, and in most cases is, Properly Conveyed via Visuals, it just has Lazy Narration bolted on top of it.

For Instance, there are Five Full Boxes devoted to explaining the nature of the Acid Attack. These Boxes are in Panels where the Slime Spits the Attack, MC Dodges, it Strikes the Stone Floor Behind him, and then there's a Panel of MC looking at the now Melted and Steaming Stone. Those Panels, JUST WITH THEIR (Actually REALLY GOOD) ART, Properly Convey all of the information that those 5 Text Boxes conveyed, with No Words at All, just from Visuals.

The exact same thing happens with attacking the Core. We don't need the Manga to Tell us that the Core is the weak point, both because we've obviously all played a Video Game, but also because the art does a good job of showing this. The Core is Visible in Every Panel that the Slime is shown in, even if only barely, because the Artist clearly knows what they are doing. In most panels it is extremely prominent, and close to the action, if not centered on the panel and obviously glowing. It is blatantly obvious that it is important.

And then the MC attacks the Slime, and slices the Core, and that Kills the Slime, which is exactly what the text has just explained would happen. We don't need you to Narrate what is about to happen when we can clearly see it happen.

You could quite literally just Remove the Narration from this entire scene Completely, and still have All of the Information you need, without needing to add even a single extra panel or change any of the illustration, and wind up with a sequence that flows vastly better and conveys all of the action in a more seamless way.

This had the potential to be an amazing sequence of Purely Visual Storytelling on par with the Sparring Match between Saitama and Genos in chapter 17 of One Punch Man, both the original with art by One, and even the redraw with art by Murata Yuusuke, which is quite frankly one of the best sequences ever drawn.

But Ironically, despite the MC losing his ability to speak in chapter one and only barely recovering it, the Manga, much like Myself, just won't Shut the Hell Up.

Overall: The Manga is still Pretty Good. It has some fundamental flaws, but those are flaws endemic to the Genre and Manga (and Western Comics probably but I don't read them) which detract from it's quality, but do not ruin it. If you are looking for a Fantasy Manga, this one is probably worth your time. Despite my complaints, I am still reading this, and not out of spite or habit, but because I am genuinely enjoying it and want to see where it goes.

well at first it gave off a good vibe but after chapter 3 it started to become rather boring well i guess it's not my cup of tea, others might enjoy it as it has top quality art and fantasy Genre in it but i'm done with it.

Dex-chan lover
@JCVocke

I understand where you're coming from.

However, I think contextualizing your points will show you why they happen.
1st) The HUD is used in isekais because most of them have an element of going into an actual video game. This element became popular, either among the audience or authors, and even those that don't expressly use entering a video game use it. And the reason this manga differs, is that it, as you pointed out, isn't an isekai manga. It is just a fantasy manga. Isekai's blurred the line by most of their settings, but there is a difference. This world is self contained, as a fantasy story world should be.

2nd) The reason a good amount of fantasy and isekai mangas overdo it with narration is that they come from light novels. They do need to work on it, but it's an extra challenge compared to a work born as a manga to begin with. It's something I've learned to put up with, I don't expect everyone to, but they usually get better with time. I hope you keep with this story and others if this is the only fault you find. But I understand we all have different breaking points.

Aggregator gang
One advantage of being a female adventurer is that every enemy will always target your boobs, that's way you only need to spend little money for armor that only cover your boobs, unlike male adventurer who need to spend more money for armor that cover their entire body...

Oooh, an update, thank you as always translators/typesetters!
Will have to binge read this all over again ?

This manga is pretty interesting, shame it doesn't receive updates that frequently.

Don't ask me about my new year's promise to learn hiragana and katakana.

Group Leader
Wait... doesn't the Giant Skeleton drop a bomb when he dies?

fuckin cash royale references

Well that's a cliff hanger and a half. Why is it always the good series that have no chapters out when you find them? Definitely following this. It's entertaining with a good bit of mystery and suspense. Looking forward to where it might go, and that's not a feeling I have with most series I stumble across these days.

Dex-chan lover
@Swagner to be fair, this one is more like the undead version of Re:Monster or one of the other ones about people reincarnating as a monster with evolution paths to advance through (of which there are probably more series like that than ones with just a skeleton MC). So it's certainly not anything terribly new either way around, but it does still look like a pretty good take on those concepts so far.

Dex-chan lover
I found the theme song of this manga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU513suJZzY

Poor Lento, if only you became sane at the last minute. you would've eaten her a different way. ?

Users who are viewing this thread