Ogami Tsumiki to Kinichijou. - Ch. 19 - Tsumiki-san and Umami-san

Dex-chan lover
Our MC seems to be a natural at bringing the true personality out of the people he's talking to.
I just want to say, from the depths of my heart and speaking for everyone here, a sincerest "fuck you".
I don't know whether to say sorry or laugh harder

Dex-chan lover
Hello everynyan, how are you? Fine thank you.

No wonder Tsumiki always carries Yutaka over her shoulders like nothing, GIRL WAS CARRYING TREES THIS CHAP

Also, we're exploring the idea of redoing chapters 1-8 so that we've got a consistent quality release all the way from the beginning. No timeline has been set, but look forward to a rerelease of the earlier chapters!
The cultural and translation expansions at the end are so fun to read! Thanks for everything!

Dex-chan lover
Yutaka Kun best girl, you can't change my mind. He's caring, loving and cares for everyone in his class. Kinda getting tadano vibes from him (tadano from the series komi San wa comudesu). And tsumiki san feels like komi san (except the fact that she can talk normally)

Translators PLEASE NOTE:
Do NOT EVER EVER EVER translate the romantic confession as "I Like you"... EVER!!!!
In English the phrase "I like you" means that you think positively of someone and that is it.
In English is OK to say "I like you" to: your barber, your waitress, the mailman, your bus driver, your 5 year old niece, etc.
No native English speaker would EVER confess to someone they want to enter into a romantic relationship with by saying "I like you".
There basically is no other way to confess your romantic affection for someone in English other than "I Love you".
Translators please do not try to LITERALLY translate from Japanese to English. You NEED to translate the meaning in a cultural appropriate manner.
When translating the romantic confession from Japanese to English, the correct cultural MEANING translates to "I Love You"

Tsumiki carrying a tree on her shoulder like she’s Kratos was funny to see

Group Leader
Translators PLEASE NOTE:
manner.
When translating the romantic confession from Japanese to English, the correct cultural MEANING translates to "I Love You"

Look, you have to pick a certain level of reader cultural understanding with any translation. There are several possible levels of trying to sand away all cultural differences:
  • We could flip all the pages and panels so everything reads left to right like westerners are used to. They used to do this all the time because nobody knew what the hell a 'mangoo' was.
  • We could change Japanese holidays and locations to western holidays and locations so they're not confusing. I've seen this done.
  • We could try to awkwardly translate all -chan as cutesy nicknames (like 'Alicey' for 'Arisu-chan'), ojii-san as 'uncle', 'Akira-san' as 'Mister Akira', etc. so you're removing all honorific suffixes. There are manga that do this right now.
  • We could translate all 'suki desu' as 'I love you' even when it is very obvious from the dialogue that the listener did not hear it that way. As noted in the end note, there are manga that use the 'did she mean like or love!?' thing as a plot point (including this chapter) and it would be wrong to blindly translate, because what's important is what the other person hears.
So we've chosen to keep the -san, -chan, -kun etc. We've chosen to keep 'sensei'. Because we think anyone reading manga here probably knows at least that much. And it is, frankly, very interesting in this manga to see who calls who -san, -kun, -chan, or without honorifics at all. Tsumiki uses 'Yutaka-kun' and Yutaka uses 'Tsumiki-san'. Kraken girl often just uses 'Tsumiki' with no honorifics. There is genuine information in that which would be lost by translating them away.

In this chapter, where the entire plot is that Umami does not know the difference and she does not know the implications of 'I like you', we've gone with translating it very literally, more than we normally would, and expecting most of you will know the like/love ambiguity (and added the note for anyone who doesn't). Did the guy on page 2 mean love? Yes he did, and he expects her to know that 'I like you' means 'I love you', but that's not what Umami hears, because she doesn't, which is what matters.

Last edited:
Group Leader
It's all well and good to be able to put a diatribe out about "suki" -- but can you explain how those ear plugs are supposed to work for a genjin ear?
I only realized this chapter that is is very weird for typical kemomimi (animal ear) manga that their ears are actually on the sides of their heads where human ears would be! Most manga just put the animal ears of beastfolk on top of the head and then use hair or fur to cover the sides of the head so you can't tell whether they've also got human ears or not. In this manga they're always (?) where human ears would be, even if the external bits (auricle, lobule) can be hugely different. So maybe earplugs would work? Though I'd expect the earhole to be larger given how sharp her hearing is, but this isn't hard scifi.

Translators PLEASE NOTE:
Do NOT EVER EVER EVER translate the romantic confession as "I Like you"... EVER!!!!
In English the phrase "I like you" means that you think positively of someone and that is it.
In English is OK to say "I like you" to: your barber, your waitress, the mailman, your bus driver, your 5 year old niece, etc.
No native English speaker would EVER confess to someone they want to enter into a romantic relationship with by saying "I like you".
There basically is no other way to confess your romantic affection for someone in English other than "I Love you".
Translators please do not try to LITERALLY translate from Japanese to English. You NEED to translate the meaning in a cultural appropriate manner.
Noooo? You can absolutely tell someone you like them if you like like them romantically. Or at least you could back when I was in school. Maybe the kids these days are more direct.

Certainly if your buddy nudges you and asks if you like a girl you know he doesn't mean the same way you might like ice cream

Dex-chan lover
Sometimes you like someone and sometimes you like like someone.
Hey, Vsauce. Michael here... :haa:

Users who are viewing this thread