“Okaeri, Papa” - Ch. 18 - Rift

Dex-chan lover
You're going to have to explain why he shares the exact same expression as his sister, who definitely finds her creepy.
That is only when she does/says some weird stuff, in general he thinks she is a good girl who is a little odd, ss evident in these panels. Does that look like he is "creeped out" by her? It seems to me like he is looking at her with eyes full of parental love.

image.png

The one hopping out is you. You leave the car with me while you go deal with something. In the 12 minutes you're gone, I've given it to my crackhead brother. You know, the one you don't trust.
What are you :questionblob: -ing about? Read the analogy you wrote first and then read mine again, slowly this time. I'll try to make the roles clearer:
Me - car owner - mother of the child
You - the person I loaned the car to, riding in the passenger seat - the stepfather
Your (crackhead???) friend - the person who drives the car - Touko
car - child
It was only the literal first thing he thought:
The actual "literal" thing he first thought was that he didn't know what was going on, and he only thought it could be a scam AFTER the interaction. Also are you conveniently just going to ignore him deciding it couldn't be a scam right after it came to his mind?

Dex-chan lover
That is only when she does/says some weird stuff, in general he thinks she is a good girl who is a little odd, ss evident in these panels. Does that look like he is "creeped out" by her? It seems to me like he is looking at her with eyes full of parental love.
A) I'd like to point out you're asking an autist to read subtle facial expressions.
B) It's clear he puts off unpleasant things from his mind.
C) I'm pretty sure it's been less than a couple of months. Even if he did ultimately love her as a parent, that wouldn't come for ages. Especially with her making frequent passes at him like this. I think you've forgotten that half the manga is her making passes at the guy. Just looks to me like he's enjoying himself.
What are you :questionblob: -ing about?
Because you confused yourself horribly. They're all in the car (physically present), she's driving (Has the baby), she has to step away from the car (baby) for a moment, so she entrusts her brother with the car (baby). Brother, instead of minding the car (baby), hands it to the shady crackhead brother (Touko) because he (she) asked. Just over twelve minutes later, she comes back, and not only of the car (baby) missing, the brother is standing around without it, and he tells you he had given it to his crackhead brother(Touko), who promptly disappeared the moment he turned his back.

You're confusing yourself by starting the analogy after the problem's already started, thus setting the crackhead brother (Touko) driving the car as "the norm". But the problem is that the crackhead brother is driving in the first place.
The actual "literal" thing he first thought was that he didn't know what was going on, and he only thought it could be a scam AFTER the interaction. Also are you conveniently just going to ignore him deciding it couldn't be a scam right after it came to his mind?
A) Wouldn't be the first translation weirdness to happen here. The entire phone thing with the sister was butchered.
B) He's clearly less drawing a solid conclusion about the situation and deciding that whatever was going on was clearly shady. He didn't want "Trouble", as the TL says. So he knows something bad was up.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Just looks to me like he's enjoying himself.
Whatever you want to call it, he wouldn't really be enjoying himself and wouldn't give her the child if he thought she was not to be trusted with holding a child, would he?
They're all in the car (physically present), she's driving (Has the baby), she has to step away from the car (baby) for a moment, so she entrusts her brother with the car (baby).
Good so far
Brother, instead of minding the car (baby), hands it to the shady crackhead brother (Touko) because he (she) asked.
This is where the misunderstanding is.

First of all, since you are so obsessed with crackheads, in this case the stepfather doesn't think of Touko as the crackhead (I'm laughing as I'm writing this), only his sister, the mother, does. So he doesn't see anything wrong with letting her drive/hold the child.

Secondly, the stepfather didn't hand the car over, he was still riding in the passenger seat. But then he wanted to hop out for a second...etc. you can read the rest in my previous post.
Just over twelve minutes later, she comes back, and not only of the car (baby) missing, the brother is standing around without it, and he tells you he had given it to his crackhead brother(Touko), who promptly disappeared the moment he turned his back.
No, he tells her/me that she had to move the car, but will come back soon or that they will meet at another place nearby.
He's clearly less drawing a solid conclusion about the situation and deciding that whatever was going on was clearly shady. He didn't want "Trouble", as the TL says. So he knows something bad was up.
Did it not occur to you that the "trouble" could mean trouble with his wife if she found out he was with another woman?

Dex-chan lover
Whatever you want to call it, he wouldn't really be enjoying himself and wouldn't give her the child if he thought she was not to be trusted with holding a child, would he?
It's strange for me to be the one to be saying this, but Human Beings have a range of emotions. I can, and have, hated someone, while also not expressing the emotion exclusively. And he didn't think she was that trustworthy- he mulled it over and just said "Fuck it" . His logic wasn't "Oh, she's totally trustworthy :)", it was "She'll only be a bit. Surely it's no big deal if she holds the baby for a bit..." He outright ponders it because he knows there's a problem. If he thought it was fine, he wouldn't need to sit around with his thumb up his ass thinking about it with that worried expression.
First of all, since you are so obsessed with crackheads, in this case the stepfather doesn't think of Touko as the crackhead (I'm laughing as I'm writing this), only his sister, the mother, does. So he doesn't see anything wrong with letting her drive/hold the child.
A) He does.
B) His appraisal isn't the important one.
C) It's not his baby to give, and he knows it
Secondly, the stepfather didn't hand the car over, he was still riding in the passenger seat. But then he wanted to hop out for a second...etc. you can read the rest in my previous post.
He literally handed the baby over. Let's keep the order of events straight.
No, he tells her/me that she had to move the car, but will come back soon or that they will meet at another place nearby.
No one said anything. he handed the baby over, and she vanished. Again: The parts of an analogy actually need to correspond with some part of this.

Did it not occur to you that the "trouble" could mean trouble with his wife if she found out he was with another woman?
It did. And it was clear he was on to the shady nature of what was going on. His thoughts were clearly not so specific.

Dex-chan lover
It's strange for me to be the one to be saying this, but Human Beings have a range of emotions. I can, and have, hated someone, while also not expressing the emotion exclusively. And he didn't think she was that trustworthy- he mulled it over and just said "Fuck it" . His logic wasn't "Oh, she's totally trustworthy :)", it was "She'll only be a bit. Surely it's no big deal if she holds the baby for a bit..." He outright ponders it because he knows there's a problem. If he thought it was fine, he wouldn't need to sit around with his thumb up his ass thinking about it with that worried expression.

A) He does.
B) His appraisal isn't the important one.
C) It's not his baby to give, and he knows it

He literally handed the baby over. Let's keep the order of events straight.

No one said anything. he handed the baby over, and she vanished. Again: The parts of an analogy actually need to correspond with some part of this.

It did. And it was clear he was on to the shady nature of what was going on. His thoughts were clearly not so specific.
sure 😉🤭

None. It's weird you're telling me about Japanese.

Prove it.

Except the fact that she disappears every summer. You already know all the evidence we have to suggest this is a cyclical thing for them.

I come from two generations of step-family. That thing that gave birth to me got a step-dad, and that went about as well as you expect when a girl gets a stepdad, and then I was sent to live with my grandmother and my step-grandfather. The moment she died, he started shoving me off to every last actual relative I had and stole all of my money for years before I even knew what a bank statement was. And when I finally found out, I ended up homeless, slandered, and alone.

You wanna play the "You don't know anything" game? Because this isn't even the most out-there story I've got. :aquadrink:

It does not. The author would have immediately ruined the tone for the rest of the manga for his intended audience if he had done something like that, anyway.

We don't see the dating/matchmaking site, but you'd swear on a stack of bibles that she's got his info from there. 🤷‍♂️

If she used a dating site, she'd use the dating site.

Omiai is not shameful, embarrassing, or otherwise negative, in Japan. In fact, it's the traditional way of doing things, and would garner him a relatively serious, respectable image with his family, and possibly his community.
So basically all of your obsession towards genetic comes from your childhood trauma. You should go get some therapy. You need one.

Dex-chan lover
So basically all of your obsession towards genetic comes from your childhood trauma. You should go get some therapy. You need one.
Don't have personal experience: You don't know what you're talking about.
Have experience: Childhood trauma. You don't know what you're talking about.

confused-black-girl-627947.jpg

Maybe ask questions if you're going to try diagnosing the source of my attitudes.

Don't have personal experience: You don't know what you're talking about.
Have experience: Childhood trauma. You don't know what you're talking about.

confused-black-girl-627947.jpg

Maybe ask questions if you're going to try diagnosing the source of my attitudes.
You’re looking at my comment from debate POV. I’m not trying to win the debate or whatever you’re doing here. Put your guard down a little bit.

I won’t pretend that I’m concerned about you because the truth is, I don’t know you. But I’m gonna say this, Don’t slap every hand that trying to reach you, even if no hands ever treat you good before. Because you might missed that one hand that will change you life for the better. You would be surprised, you’re not alone.

Dex-chan lover
You’re looking at my comment from debate POV. I’m not trying to win the debate or whatever you’re doing here. Put your guard down a little bit.
No, I'm treating it like a guy trying to psychoanalyze me online without actually hearing anything more than a vague synopsis of my life. Case in point: Even if the trauma explanation were applicable (It isn't), these events happened when I was 19-21. And that's just one of the weird leaps you made trying to boil down my attitude to some external influence.

No, I'm treating it like a guy trying to psychoanalyze me online without actually hearing anything more than a vague synopsis of my life. Case in point: Even if the trauma explanation were applicable (It isn't), these events happened when I was 19-21. And that's just one of the weird leaps you made trying to boil down my attitude to some external influence.
I registered to tell you to write an essay on this topic using your post history so far, it might be funny to read

Dex-chan lover
I registered to tell you to write an essay on this topic using your post history so far, it might be funny to read
Sorry, I don't really understand the request. Write an essay on what? And what do you mean "Using my post history so far"?

Dex-chan lover
Chapter 18 of "Okaeri, Papa", using the posts you've made regarding chapter 18 of "Okaeri, Papa"
There's not a lot to write about. Sister finished what was obviously a very unpleasant call with what I assume is her stalker. When she comes back, her brother, the person she specifically put in charge of watching her baby, has not only lost it, but actually gave it to the person neither of the two trusts. He outright knew there was a problem with this when she'd asked to hold the baby, but ignored it, gave her the baby, and then let them both out of his sight. She used the opportunity to kidnap the baby.
\
Now that sister is back, she's nowhere to be found, the brother has the usual uncomfortable look on his face, and we find out the 16-year-old girl just happened to forget her phone. The 16-year-old girl forgot her phone. All of this is an obvious ploy on her part, and while nobody catches on until the exact last panel, it could all have been avoided if the brother had just acted like a normal human being, and just not given the child to the shady girl despite his own reservations.
\
I went and re-read some earlier chapters, and sister outright took the baby off the girl's hands using "Diaper check" as an excuse. I can forgive the brother for not noticing the dynamic at play, since it happened right at the start, but over time, it's become increasingly obvious that she doesn't trust them. In the end, she outright tells him she doesn't trust them before they go out, and his response is basically "Well why don't you mind your own business for once?" This man has family looking out for his best interests, and he's been ignoring their advice for years at this point.
\
In fact, it seems to be the only thing holding this flimsy plot together. He ignores family advice, he ignores his own gut, and when it blows up in his face, it looks like his response is to double down. If he hadn't outright been stalked and manipulated into marriage, I doubt he'd be in a proper relationship right now.

Dude, I dont care who wins, who looses. Who's smart, who's dumb, all i know is the MC is an amazing person and doesnt deserve any of this.

Dex-chan lover
Dude, I dont care who wins, who looses. Who's smart, who's dumb, all i know is the MC is an amazing person and doesnt deserve any of this.
Amazing per- brother, he handed off his sister's child to some psycho bitch, then let her kidnap it.

You know I find it kinda funny there are people defending the sister. Her overreacting is not warranted just because she's suspicious of her brother's daughter. It explains why she's acting like this but anyone reasonable person who is an onlooker would rightfully say she is in the wrong.

The brother isn't going crazy like she is because he trusts his daughter and was worried that she went missing. His sister on the other hand is suspicious of his daughter and thinks she's going to do something nefarious. With all said and done the daughter apologized and her aggressive action looks bad on her. She can get mad but acting like a Karen bitch and then trying to hit the girl apologizing to you is a bad look and shows unstableness.

The brother being the mature person he is tried to calm her down. Because her rabidness is not helping the current situation. A mature person like some other commentator wrongly described is someone who analyzes the situation and tries to bring back rationale. Letting the sister throw what is essentially a hissy fit so she feels vindicated is not the mature thing to do.
Actually, it totally make sense why the sister was acting the way she did, and I'd imagine a lot of mothers would act in a similar way. As mentioned, even before the festival, she was suspicious of the pair. For women, suspicious is often synonymous to danger. When the baby disappeared, the daughter turned into an outright hostile in her mind. And mothers of mammals generally go into a frenzy at the sight of their baby in hostile possession.

To the MC and onlookers, of course they're going to think the sister is overreacting. In their eyes, the wife and daughter are family, and therefore friendly. They don't understand that to the sister, they are pretty much strangers that she met a day ago! And she already feels very adverse about them.

Dex-chan lover
Actually, it totally make sense why the sister was acting the way she did, and I'd imagine a lot of mothers would act in a similar way. As mentioned, even before the festival, she was suspicious of the pair. For women, suspicious is often synonymous to danger. When the baby disappeared, the daughter turned into an outright hostile in her mind. And mothers of mammals generally go into a frenzy at the sight of their baby in hostile possession.

To the MC and onlookers, of course they're going to think the sister is overreacting. In their eyes, the wife and daughter are family, and therefore friendly. They don't understand that to the sister, they are pretty much strangers that she met a day ago! And she already feels very adverse about them.
She outright told him she doesn't like, or trust, them. And when he thought it might be a bad idea to give it to the girl, he said "Naw, it'll be fine" and gave it to her anyway. It blew up in his face pretty much instantly, and instead of admitting fault, he deflects and tells her to calm down.

Users who are viewing this thread