Only Sense Online - Vol. 2 Ch. 10 - The Art of the Bow and ''Atelier''

Dex-chan lover
The value of money in that game is as abysmal as the value of yen in RL. Yen you can somewhat understand since Japan doesn't have a lower denomination currency at all (like dollars/euros have cents), it's just the yen and yen only, so you need to be able to price anything from a single lollipop to a cruise ship in yens. But the currency in this game is supposed to be gold. If everything costs so much gold, it means gold, as a metal, is super common in that world. In real history gold was used as the material for the most valuable coins because it's rare. Silver wasn't as rare, so silver coins weren't worth as much. However, in that game 1 million gold coins isn't really that much, in the grand scheme of things. However, just how much gold is a million coins? It would be enough to give the house gold plating.

In the end it all boils down to the author wanting to use a currency that's worth as little as yen for convenience, but still wanting to call it gold, because it's a fantasy setting, not understanding it doesn't work that way.

Dex-chan lover
In the end it all boils down to the author wanting to use a currency that's worth as little as yen for convenience, but still wanting to call it gold, because it's a fantasy setting, not understanding it doesn't work that way.

It works exactly that way. It's a fictional setting within a fictional setting. Their gold has nothing to do with ours by multiple entire dimensions worth of separation. It's also super common for gold to appear way less valuable than we'd think it should in video games anyway, because it in fact does practically grow on trees because video game mechanics.

@Kaarme The value of money in most MMOs is abysmal. I think the last one I played that didn't have an overinflated economy was LotR:O, in which gold coins actually had value and most quests paid a few silver and bronze coins. I think it was a 100:1 ratio (bronze>silver>gold). Most MMOs go with a single, arbitrarily selected currency for simplicity's sake, which, of course, "all boils down to [someone] wanting to use a currency that's worth as little as yen for convenience, but still wanting to call it gold, because it's a fantasy setting."

Still, in MMO terms, 1,000,000 [currency] is nothing. Most MMOs I've gotten serious in, upgrading gear is in the hundreds of millions for top tier. Yun's still got a lot of learning.

Dex-chan lover
@Glomoro That's exactly what I complained about. How it seems like it grows on trees when looking at the worth of the gold based currency, yet it still doesn't seem to grow on trees. Gold is super pretty and doesn't rust. If it was highly commonplace, it would be used everywhere. Despite our industrialisation and mass production, even stainless steel isn't so cheap it would be used just for the heck of it. It costs significantly. Forget about gold (although for fairness's sake some rarer elements actually cost even more extra in our world because the electronics and other industries consume them).

@Tropingenie I guess it would take still quite an unimaginable sandbox game to model economics sufficiently to make it really matter in practice. It's not like I'd care enough to drop anything because of it. I just mentioned it, and complained a little about it, in lack of anything else to say. The chapter still hasn't got more than one comment unrelated to this, so there really isn't much else to say.

Fed-Kun's army
@Kaarme @Glomoro @Tropingenie

yall forget one simple thing, we havent actually seen them produce any gold coins, as far as we can tell it works like a bank balance, their counter simply says "this is how much gold you have" and they use that balance without producing coins ... this means the country must be backing the currency by their own gold reserves without actually using the golds

yall realize this is how USD works right? paper USD was simply a note that said "we the government certify we have the gold to back this transaction" ... the paper itself is worth as much as trash, eventually the gold standard dropped and its no longer backed by gold

similarly the "Gold" in this world could have originally been backed by gold, but due to inflation it stopped being backed by gold, and the value went down, but is still usable as a currency due to its widespread use and government gurentee that it "has value"

so no, they dont *literally* need all that gold

Dex-chan lover
@Nari Sure, why not. It's a decent theory as long as you don't dig any deeper than the surface. The game doesn't have a functional economy, so money doesn't need to be functional either. It doesn't really matter that in history referring to coins by using the name of the metal meant the coins were made of that metal. Like I said before, it's called "Gold" in that game because it's the (Western) fantasy world cliche.

Dex-chan lover
@Nari There's not really any reason for the developers to have done that, so it's kind of a leap. As for not having seen them handing gold to each other or the NPCs, that's pretty much irrelevant so it doesn't really support the theory. It's not like you're necessarily wrong either, since evidence to disprove your idea is somewhat lacking as well, but I'd really need to see it specifically explained that this is how it's meant to work within the setting's story since it just sounds completely unnecessary and usually isn't a part of fantasy settings with a civilization level like this one.

I love this series just because despite it being basic as heck but as someone who's played a lot of MMO RPG/JRPG including Atelier games puts a smile on my face when he named his shop Atelier. Next Atelier game should be called Atelier Yun The Supporting Alchemist of End Game :)

Mpk has a few instances where yes it is a viable tactic for dealing with toxic players or just a tactic to escape in a bad situation like pkers. The tank stands next to the area boss and taunts the enemy mage into casting an AOE spell on him forcing the mage to deal with the boss.

That train man is like me in the past when playing RAN online I lure lots of enemies and then take to players that I find leveling then use return to save point to leave the monster to them

You yall commentors forget that "gold" Could be made of metal with no actual gold in it. For example, some people call a Usd penny a "Copper penny" event though it's actually made from an alloy.

Double-page supporter
Ah yes I remember making my first minecraft store.

Dex-chan lover
Why do crafting archers in these mangas always choose to be total loners? It's not like joining a guild means you can't mostly do your own thing, depending on the guild.

Dex-chan lover
the girl in his shop is an NPC right? It's pretty cool how they made her bland with those dot eyes. If it's any other manga they'd made her super hot or beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread