Only Sense Online

Lol dropped it immediately after the first chapter, it seem the MC is just gonna get lead around and forced to do shit with little to no substance for himself.

PvP is annoying if you want to do PVE, its the way you want to play. I dislike PvP mostly due to the trolls, if I want to do it Ill go play in a Battleground. Most of it is a dick measuring contest. Killing noobs because it makes you feel better.

Excellent story.

Personally dropped it, leaving my reasons for those wondering whether it's worth reading or not.

- Both of the first 2 EN Translators have some issues with grammar and context, it's not dealbreaking but it still adds some weight on the "con" side, only the Hametsu translations are proper English.

-Premise of the plot is dumb. MC equips mostly trash abilities and skills AND picks the wrong gender in character creation! Does he reroll? Make a new account? NOPE! He just sticks with it and makes his gaming experience infinitely more frustrating for both him and anyone around him. Yeah, sure, it's a plot device, but you can't help read about this issue or misunderstanding in the story and think: If only he just trashed his obviously useless first character.

-Author doesn't like PK/PVP for some reason. Don't know why. Would be satisfying to see assholes being killed, but alas there is only PVE monster hunting. Honestly feels like ideas are running out.

Overall, it could've been handled better...

Contributor
@Fermooto

A couple of your criticisms are legit while the others seem like you didn't even read the manga.

For starters some of the bad grammar and context is due to translations, but some is due to the fact some of the characters speak in role-playing-ish speak and some speak in "leet" speak. That is how it is written, these are supposed to be kids in a game after all. Myu is can be bad for it in the LN (this is based off of) for using stereotypical gaming phrases.

As for the " picked the wrong gender and doesn't re-roll" if you actually read the first Chapter (Page 22 to be exact) it states what happened. You can't choose gender/sex in game, it is based off of your sex/gender IRL. The game automatically detects this and detected Yun as a girl due to his feminine face and auto selected his sex as female. He did in fact try to re-roll, but was stopped by his older sister who black mailed him into staying as this character since it is technically impossible to play as the opposite sex. She threatens to expose his "dark history". Which is sort of explained later in the series.

As for his skills, they aren't trash technically, compared to everyone else who has EZ mode skills, Yun picks one of the harder ones at low levels. Bow's aren't useless per se, they just have a stigma around them due to an event that happened in the beta, mostly the fact that they require ammo which is a pain in the ass at low levels (this is skipped over in the manga which I agree it could be done better). Besides Yun isn't playing this game as a hardcore player like the others, Yun is playing as a crafter so having combat skills are irrelevant. Anyone who has played a hardcore MMO can tell you there are some classes and build that aren't meant for combat but are needed nevertheless.

Plus most of the characters in the game played the beta (Myu, Taku, and Sei all did) which Yun did not, so they already have a head start on him. Not to mention the manga is only at Volume 5 of the LN, there are still 11 more books of story that changes everything.

Dex-chan lover
@descending_angel87 The thing that stuck out to me when the game feminized him was whether or not there was even a point to him trying to reroll. The machine would've detected him wrong again anyway, and if you can't usually play as the opposite gender what was he supposed to do? Send the admins a dick pic? lol

Should've just skipped the whole gender bender thing and made him a female from the start since the author obviously just wanted to write a cute girls doing cute things story.

This story shouldn't be read as an VRMMORPG story nor should we contemplate on the ridiculous game settings or weird bullshit that the author thought up. It should be seen as just another slice-of-life fluff story. If you completely ignore all the game aspects, it's decent enough to read. Just think of it as yet another slice of life cute girls doing cute things story but set in a fantasy world with some gaming aspects instead of the usual real life every day school setting. That's pretty much what it is.

Dropping this for being so boring, sunk cost kept me reading till chapter 52 but finally I'm free.

I'm confused, is it weird that I wanted Yun to be covered in the white slimy stuff coming out to the spider's abdomen?

Kinda wish the author would actually do something with the gender bender thing. Make Yun realize she prefers being a girl, I think that would have made it a really nice story about a trans girl discovering herself through an extremely realistic MMO that lets her go stealth, and her sisters and best friend being cool about it would give her the courage to be herself irl too. Or play it for laughs more often, or make it more central, or even eye candy - just do <i>something</i> with it.

Like... Shun is just so cool with being a girl, which could by itself be super interesting in a personal story arc. But he's such a static character that it never comes up except for the very rare moments when we get a "uh oh Yun's gotta do a girly thing haha" but then it's no big deal bc even the people who know don't care because he's just that feminine, or when Yun and Taku hang out and there's this weird OOC romantic tension where Yun gets all cute and girly around him, but then it goes away immediately after and they never discuss it with each other. Like if your best friend was super comfortable being a girl in a hyper-realistic video game and was cool with being treated like one (albeit with occasional grumbling), you'd think that would be a point of discussion at some point right? Just 🤷‍♀️

All the tension or irony that's built around "Yun is actually a guy" just never goes anywhere. I read ahead a ways in the light novel fan translations and Yun actually being a guy is never really relevant. Idk. I initially really liked it because there's a lot of room to read into with a trans!Yun headcanon, but it's so irrelevant that there's no real direction you can take with diverging wildly from what we've seen. It's just a little disappointing is all. The rest of the story is alright, but all the characters are so static that after a while it's hard to maintain interest unless you're really into the game mechanics of OSO.

The art style is cute tho.

Dex-chan lover
@lil_puddin_cups
So you have got a Boku Girl avatar? Well it would only apply if the MC turned into a girl in reality. So nope, your mindset sounds disgusting af! As for me I dropped OSO manga because the author hates PvP so much.

@SadBox
Only covered in slimy stuff? At least we need tentacles until the end as Japanese like it!

@monkey123
Wait what about my mindset is disgusting? That I wish a character who reads as trans to me would actually be trans, instead of just a cis person who's placed into a situation that *should* make them uncomfortable but doesn't because the author doesn't understand what dysphoria is or how the lack of dysphoria makes their character seem trans.

It's not "disgusting" for me to want to see characters like me represented in stories where I think they would fit. Fuck off with your judgmental bs.

Also yeah Boku Girl is... eh. There's a lot of stuff I don't care for in it. It's overall not something I'd recommend to people. But Mizuki's design is endearing and I think it's very easy to read her as being trans, so yeah I have her as my avi. I'm not really sure how that related to your response to me though. 🤔

Dex-chan lover
https://hametsunomegami.blogspot.com/p/only-sense-online.html

No response from scanners about if they're dropping this or not, RIP.

Dex-chan lover
@lil_puddin_cups
You know why many males create female characters in games? It's either eye candy and/or to jerk off. Immersing into this character would be pathological on the other hand. Why? Because they are male in reallife. I'd accept your mindset only in the case of Boku Girl and similar mangas, where the MC changes gender for real.

"I'm not really sure how that related to your response to me though."
You wrote some stuff about trans and got a Boku Girl avatar. So this suggests you came from Boku Girl manga and just mix stuff up.

"Fuck off with your judgmental bs."
So you are telling me you are not judging stuff?

As for me Boku Girl was a funny read. Simple as that.

Don't mean to jump into drama or anything, but I don't think the author means anything deep or serious with the accidental gender bend or anything. I'm pretty sure it's just a quirk for entertainment in the overarching story and sporadic bouts of plot.

Users who are viewing this thread