Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso o Kasaneru

Dex-chan lover
I really like the pace of this manga, it doesn't draw out more then needed by making the characters completely oblivious as many other of that genre do.

Dex-chan lover
((((DONT LET THE CROSSDRESSING TAG BAIT YOU, ITS A HUGE PART OF THE STORY BUT THERES NO GAY PARTS, ITS REALLY GOOD))))

Dex-chan lover
Note to anyone just discovering this manga and wondering if it's any good: READ IT. It's a beautiful breath of fresh air.

Is it bad that I want a sequel or at least a sort of epilogue set in the future?

BOTAN IS SO CUTE!!!

😍

Aggregator gang
I LOVE how it didn’t end with the stereotypical get with the main girl with problems. I was rooting for botan ever since she fell in love, I thought their dynamic was a heck ton more cute. I’m so glad he didn’t get with ah chan!

Aggregator gang
Good story that break love triangle scheme. And it is completed, what is always nice.

Fed-Kun's army
You know, what really pains me is that we can't ask for stories from others with such twists such as having a character choose the girl who he didn't meet first, because that would be a huge spoiler.

8/10 overall : Kinda disappointed tbh, since the stats shows hugely positive reviews, and if I'm not being generous I'd give it more of 7. And I thought that the story should pick up really good when I was 6 chapter in because I started to get disappointed at that point. Do I recommend it? Well yes, there's quite a lot that I can nitpick, but the read was pretty light and enjoyable, no overly dramatic stuff(which I love), and relatively clean pace. It's also quite a short series so definitely worth a read.

Art: Art is okay. It's pretty inconsistent especially in the earlier chapters while it's not as apparent in the later chapters. The art itself is what I'd say bare minimum to look good and light to the eye.

Characters: This manga heavily focuses on developing these 3 main characters. I like them all, but more so I didn't hate any, so that's a good enough. There's nothing really outstanding that I find in these characters that author had made them to be, but it is hugely commendable for making them not being so dramatic because unfortunately it's kind of rare. The side characters are okayish, only one side characters stand out enough.

Plot/Story: Ah of course the story. So the main idea behind this story is the famous fable of "the boy who cried wolf" (You can just google it if you haven't heard about this fable before) hence this manga title. This manga sets out the main character to keep telling lies and piling it up with even more lies to help someone. The main character decides to choose this path and see how far can he go on crying for wolf.

So
While the main idea itself is pretty interesting there's so much missing potential on how the author laid the plot to be. In the first place the manga itself misses the point of the fable it's titles comes from. "The boy who cried wolf" point is that someone who kept telling lies will be rewarded with the label "Liar" and distrust from other people, and people won't believe anything that person said even if it's the truth. Of course these concept could've took things off a lot further and I see so much missing potential given These Piling lies with even more lies will have so many more conflicts that I find familiar and relatable. Let's just say I have real life experience don't ask.
However I'm relieved that the story still manages to be interesting enough and I'm glad again because this way it's not overly dramatic. More conflicts are harder to handle to stay realistic and interesting.

While I'm happy with the ending even though I kinda get spoiled early, I don't think that a good ending will always change a mediocre series to a masterpiece. This series is still above average at best in story department Which is kinda disappointing.
I might be the only one (I'm pretty sure not), but I don't hate the first girl trope, there's no reason for me to be hating on a girl being the winning girl because she was the first one introduced. Both of the girls have a pretty good development so I'd be fine with either. But of course the enjoyment is better since I was rooting for Botan anyways.
One of the more famous Manga that have the first girl winning girl trope is Nisekoi, While I don't enjoy the ride reading it because God it drags the story, I feel pretty okay with the ending. But it could also just be because I'm not rooting for either chitoge or Onodera, but Mari who even though I know she has no hope since the start, I still root for her anyways(cause You can't deny it, Mari IS best girl). The first girl trope is handled okayishly there so I feel fine, but I digress. Ending should not be the deciding rating to a series.

I can't be too harsh on manga that only has 30 chapters to develop the main characters by putting them through some plot archetypes that we all know and love/hate.

While I'm at it, here are the things that I'd nitpick:
- How none of them even suspects about the main character crossdresses at the first suspect. While these play pretend is done again meh, Nobody even suspects it by the fact they never see the main character: Itsuki kun and the one he's pretending to be: Itsuki never appear together at the same place and time. This paint the other characters as overly simple and dumb and convenient for the plot so Itsuki can confess his lies. The play pretend is heavily flawed by having the other character know both the main character and the character he play pretend as.
One of the reason I'm saying this is because one of the more famous example, Detective Conan have done it better by having Ran (the main heroine) Suspects that Conan is Shinichi(the protagonist) and won't believe otherwise unless see sees them appear at the same place. So Conan pulled some tricks to make it seems like Shinichi and Conan is a different person by doing just that. So Ran did get convinced but still have suspicions. This makes Ran seems less simple and more realistic while herself is not really the brightest character.
-The trope a girl who are bad with boys. This trope is pretty overdone and I'm not really fond of it, but the author execute it okay enough to move the plot forward, So I'll give it a pass. Only the later chapter tells the reason to this pretty much phobia condition, I give it a pass again cause it's okay enough again for having it be a traumatic experience. And again how even in the surface Tokujira san seems super convinced that Itsuki the MC is a girl, yet her body still rejects him since he's a boy, so deep down she must've known that MC is indeed a boy. Yet this never really brought up so I'm gonna pass this one again.
-Character meddling with another person's love life and know it all simply upon first time seeing the two main character together. I find this annoying and unnatural and doesn't work when this side characters that do the meddling doesn't have a well laid character. I also don't like meddling in general since it gives a bad taste when the characters only realizes that they are in love after another character spelled it out for them instead of finding it out themselves. But this series is short so I'll give it a pass for the plot convenience so that it doesn't drag too long.

I can probably nitpick some more, but this comment already an essay long. So
While the plot itself is nothing out of the extraordinary imo, It includes some essential stuff and know what to focus on, even though it felt slightly rushed at later chapters. It's executed pretty enjoyable and have an ending I'm pretty happy with. The comedy is light to give me some giggles and not really something outwardly hilarious to give it some more enjoyment.

While it is sad the fact that the rating of another manga that also has crossdressing(also not being the main focus) has way lower ratings than this(something like 7 star) which I find more enjoyable to read than this manga, mostly because it was axed and have an anticlimatic ending So I still give it an 8(good and enjoyable).

Read whatever you find seems interesting. Don't let some rating stop you start reading it. Some story starts out rough but can have the potential of being great, and rejoice when it does. With that kind of story you might want to tank some chapters. Happy reading.

Power Uploader
@bocchi I had removed it because that chapter was later incorporated at the end of volume 5, so it's at the end of chapter 32 on here.

Dex-chan lover
Better than I thought,
I rate this 9 out of 10.
Too bad it ended.

Was way better than I was expecting tbh. I was told by a friend it was good, but didn't expect it to be this good. Very enjoyable story. 9.5/10

Glad they didn't pull a Nisekoi.

Aggregator gang
i ended up binged it..
good story, great characters, great development, fluid artstyle, and satisfying ending
9/10

Users who are viewing this thread