Open Sourcing the MangaDex@Home Client, Symfony Devs Acquired, and User Research Survey Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like you're making some pretty big assumptions based on a mere ~2300 responses from people who happened to click on a thread... that gate alone is going to skew them in a certain direction - people with free time and an interest in anything other than reading manga and going home, which is surely a minority of users.

I think that the stats are broken: https://mangadex.network/d/NDGiF3mGz/overview?orgId=1&refresh=1m

there is now ay mangadex server 216 EXABYTE in an year, at current speed (150MB/s) it would need 212 YEARS to deliver a single exabyte

I am reading this properly, and if anyone can say me the situation of this case... please, tell me.
I would really understand this case.

Double-page supporter
> 216 EXABYTE

No wonder I see the error 502 so often, the load on this site is unreal 🙃

I don’t know it’s about my internet or website. I think when I was clicking to read the chapter of each manga, it’s take a lot of time to download each page.( I use long strip reader) To compare with other website like bat**** but I do love mangadex! I really love the web design and dark mode. Hope you look for this and fix it in near future.

Fed-Kun's army
The legacy reader is incompatible with MangaDex@​Home so we'll likely be killing it off in the near future for the sake of the servers. Would recommend making the switch and getting used to the new reader!

I didn't know there was a different reader and since my first use of this site have been using the new one. I just tried the legacy one out and am now pissed at myself, the pages load instantly one after the next unlike the new one!(the new one sometimes just gets stuck forever loading a page(which right now its 100% of the time looping) or at the least takes 2 seconds to load each page) Now i know the greatness of the legacy reader and will weep once its removed. Its true what they say, "curiosity killed the cat"... 😭

As a long-time contributor to H@H over at E-H, I'm happy to see that other image-serving sites are also adopting this decentralized approach to reducing their hosting fees. 👍

I feel the same. Just waiting to get approved now. Too bad I missed that golden icon. I feel like we're still early adopting with the higher requirements, but achievement-wise it doesn't seem to be different from later :( Give us prestige! Like a 2nd tier :p

Gee... I'm almost out of the age chart. I guess I shouldn't still like manga at my age... :´(

Dex-chan lover
As of now, 86 out of 286 provider are offline: it means that in a chapter of 20 pages, on average 6 are not available...

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@Goretantath Legacy vs normal has no impact on loading times, and the normal reader can reload individual pages without reloading the entire chapter.

@Beregorn Offline nodes don't get requests.

I wish that MD@H is also doing some sanity check to check if the client is delivering at least the minimum required bandwidth to host and if not, just outright kick it out. Im back to the days where MD@H doesnt exist yet, im getting about 50-70KiB/sec and most of the time the rest of the page just fails to load, specially on long-strip ones.

I know its this is purely volunteered based but since we were choosing for qualified people, we might as well choose the people who can actually deliver the bandwidth consistently.

x53

@remlei - I would rather have slow source than none. I'm hosting this out of curiosity for a bit on dedi, but the network requirements are no go for me (I have half of it @ local env).

Looking at the stats/dashboard, half of the servers are offline? Arguably I could also host an instance like that. I just can't really meet the requirements as they are currently listed.

Could MangaDex@Home not simply be set up for relatively fast failure (to match existing reality of servers actually being more like online/offline)? Also, why not simply lower the quantity of data hosted / increase redundancy with other servers if the instance is not yet known as reliable and/or has less BW available. That way people with more modest setups - say 20 or 40Mbit upstream - could pitch in? Would still be a bunch of pages per second, and surely far more BW than whatever BW checking server online status / receiving keepalive type messages ends up "costing" even if they are signed or such.

I'd be able to volunteer some BW/storage from a container on lowered requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread