Open Sourcing the MangaDex@Home Client, Symfony Devs Acquired, and User Research Survey Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
@Exile

Real talk, is a single arrow on the right 'n a progress slice at the bottom super-intrusive? I don't know how it is for most, but on both my PC 'n iPad the first thing I do is minimize the sidebar and then my screen is basically 98% content (and 2% bottom progress bar). My biggest gripe with the lack of a legacy reader would be that the lazy downloader will no longer work.

Fed-Kun's army
I’m also saddened by the loss of the legacy reader. Not because of any ui issues or anything like that, but because the new reader does not allow me to long press an image on an iPhone to open the menu to save a page. That’s literally the only reason why I still use the old one. If I was able to save images using the new reader I would have no issue switching to it

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@DocHobo I don't have an iOS device to test with, but long press and save works just fine on Android. I'm inclined to blame Safari.

Dex-chan lover
@Wolvenworks
The people who don't really mind the new reader just generally don't say anything, since they don't have much to complain about

Dex-chan lover
@Wolvenworks
All browsers on the Apple app store are forced to use the Safari browser as a core. So if a web browser isn't doing something correctly on iOS, it's Safari's fault

Dex-chan lover
@MrIncognito wait really? so the Chrome on the iOS is some kinda hybrid Safari-Chrome thing from some kinda R34 scenario? that is...kinda evil.

Group Leader
I'll chime in and say I would prefer to be able to see images load in progressively rather than see a loading icon then the whole image.

I can come to terms with the fact that the legacy reader will no longer be supported but I really hope that v5 of the site with the top options bar will fix a lot of the problems I have with the current reader and probably some other changes too. If I still don't like it I'll probably have to figure something out because frankly in its current state I like some scanlator site readers better than the new reader and tbf those are usually pretty awful as a rule. Really I just want a simple no nonsense reader without all the extras crammed into the current reader. My favorite thing about the legacy reader is how bare bones it is. Everything you need to have is there with nothing else to get in the way. Coming from bato.to to here it was nice that the reader felt immediately familiar as a clean utilitarian way to get my reading done with nothing extra I didn't need. I guess I'm partly just nostalgic toward that particular reader style and don't want to see it gone.

Sorry, I am rolling a home server just for MD@Home but got caught up with some Real Life. Was having some troubles with FreeNAS and the boot USB. Will try and get it up within the next couple days though!

Piecharts make me feel physical pain, please use histograms or something next time (especially for the first graph). Keep up the good work though.

Dex-chan lover
@Kafka So the MatH statistics tab won't be for global statistics and are just for personal clients?

Dex-chan lover
@BraveDude8 Yes. Thank you. I thought the stats tab in https://mangadex.org/md_at_home was going to be the global stats like e-hentai has and I was wondering if it was going to be global stats, or is it for personal stats only?

Hallo Mangadex,

I was wondering how the software acts with the content; will it continue to change or will it stay the same (Because SSD might be a thing; it can degrade faster on a lot of writes)?

1. Is there a way to force/prefer a client? Let's say I want to add a server that I know is good to use; I would love to use it and not a random; that is not good. Is that a possibility?
2. What is the OS for the client? Linux I hope? It's Java so Windows or Linux it seems
3. Is there a way to set your preferences for what to cache? My personal annoyance is reading the newest chapters (or once in a while bigger ones); I always got one or two bad ones or a lot...

I truly like the idea, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread