Open Sourcing the MangaDex@Home Client, Symfony Devs Acquired, and User Research Survey Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really sorry to say it but without the Legacy Reader I'll stop using this site. I don't want to sound childish but the other Reader is pure garbage, completely incompatible with my necessities.

2wb

re: Legacy reader

For me, it's that I want the options on the top of the page. Hiding them so thoroughly is quite nice, but I instinctually look for options at top/bottom of webpages; and having something on the side makes the resultant window very squished when I restrict the browser window horizontally (ie. so I can read while watching chats).
By having the page navigation at the top instead of shunted to the side, I can switch between pages if I feel like I noticed something missing or otherwise without having to re-open the drawer; which if I'm trying to use multiple windows is just awful.

It also makes changing options really awful; which is something I end up doing constantly with the nonlegacy reader for two reasons --
First, because I can't tell it to reload only the individual images that failed to load due to my internet hiccupping; which is something I and a -- admittedly small -- number of friends deal with, and
Second, and far more irrelevantly, I frequently switch between reader modes based on the original presentation of the piece (pages for manga and long strip for webtoon and so on).

The One
Staff
Admin
options on the top of the page
that is planned for v5 of the site iirc

pages for manga and long strip for webtoon and so on
On the default reader long strip webtoons are automatically set to long strip reading mode.

Staff
Admin
@AthK

The default reader is better if you have a poor connection. It doesn't try to download every page at once, it loads them in sequence which is kinder on your connection and our server. Add to that if an image does fail you can click the reload image button to reload just that image and not have to refresh the entire chapter.

Power Uploader
@ixlone The main thing about the Legacy reader is that if I reload the page I can see the image while it's loading as well... So, I can keep reading instead of seeing loading Icon... It's totally fine even if you just give option to remove loading icon and see the image while loading in the new reader settings...
[Sorry if I'm arguing too much]

Edit: very happy to see that new v5 reader will have options at top of page. Thanks!

Staff
Admin
@AthK

You can keep reading on default reader too and you don't lose your place, and have to load less.

If your internet is that bad loading 1 page is way better than loading an entire chapter again.

Power Uploader
@ixlone I load one page only... loading Entire chapter is totally impossible for me...

Maybe I wasn't able to convey my message... I'll show with a video...
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/716524692214775888/724999172662493184/loading.webm
As you can see... In new reader I see the loading Icon... But, in legacy reader, I see the image which is being loaded progressively... I just want that loading icon to disappear and see the image loading progressively (which I can read)...

Thanks!

Power Uploader
So, out of curiosity, I came back to the legacy reader to have a quick comparison with the current one and see what's the pro and con we can learn from it to incorporate into the default one. Here're my thoughts:

1. Image loading: The legacy reader loads image piece-by-piece, whereas the default one waits to download the entire image and display it all at once. With slow connection, this is really irritating because the legacy reader allows you to slowly read the image as it loads (especially useful with 4-koma), whereas the default one forces you to wait till the image is fully loaded. If it fails to load, you have to tap on it to reload and waste more time waiting.

2. Page jumping: Some readers (myself included) may prefer the drop-down menu to select which page to go instead of entering it manually for several reasons. This is only possible on mobile and vertical screen, otherwise you have to tap between the pages and enter the page to go to into a prompt box.

3: Navigation bar position: While it's possible to show/hide many elements, the fact that it's located on the right side of the screen and squish the images when expanded is really inconvenience. Good to hear that it'll be relocated to the top of the screen on v5 (or we have the option to), but I'd like to point out that we should have the option to keep it always on, as this is an issue on mobile too (see below).

4: Mobile inconsistency: The navigation bar acts like it should on PC and has its own horizontal mode when used on mobile with the screen in vertical. The problem is that it hides lots of info, such as number of comments, and it isn't always-on so we're forced to jump back to the top to use it.

if anyone wants to add in anything else, lemme know so I can edit my post.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@AthK Turn off MD@H here and try again, the issue you're having there has absolutely nothing to do with how the reader loads images. It's failing outright.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Halo It's a legacy feature, we're not going to bother updating it. Hasn't been touched in two years cause it was never intended to be a long term option. The way it mass requests images is awful for the server and causes spikes of requests even if people are just skipping through chapters rapidly or trying to find one page compared to the gradual one by one requests in the new reader. It was never the plan to keep it around. It's like if YouTube videos worked by giving the user the entire video immediately instead of gradually streaming it

Power Uploader
@BraveDude8 As I'm saying... It's not the issue of your serves... My internet is the one at fault... So, as a compensatory mechanism for that I used Legacy reader coz it loads images progressively (As you can see in the video... check video completely)...
I get problems on every site due to this internet... You won't believe but, I watch videos in 360p. So, it's impossible for your servers to cause me any problem.

EDIT:
My only request is: give option to remove that circular loading icon and make the image visible even while it's loading

Double-page supporter
@Plykiya makes sense. So it should be fine to use alternative readers via userscripts or addons, as long as they have the same gradual request method like the default reader or tachiyomi?

Fed-Kun's army
Only a quarter of the site being actual adults (~25+) is both about what I expected and depressing. Most being high school university age is about what I'd expect. And of course I was reading yaoi on the internet at age 15 so I can't say anything to those teens but anyone younger than that... I hope they're only reading wholesome manga and not reading comments or the forum... Where are your parents?? (Probably ignoring you/working/absent/thinking you're doing homework, like my parents ha ha ha). Do you need to know about safe sex?? Adblockers? Dealing with overprotective parents? Neglectful parents? School stress? Bullies???

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@Athk Again, in the video you linked, the images aren't loading at all. Making the image visible while it's loading wouldn't fix that, because the image isn't loading.

Power Uploader
@BraveDude8 Okay... I lost... But, pls at least consider my request... (I really don't want to argue anymore now..)

@Halo Can you write the userscript? I would love to have that...

Oh man I'm getting old. Even if there were more of us, at this point I'm still getting old.

You know the thing I don't get though? I remember when I was younger, when Millennials means the ages Zoomers implies now. You would see the exact results too if polled from the websites that hosts manga/anime back then. Similar pattern in cons too.

Now +10 years later, what happen to us? Part of it might just be Zoomers taking even more a liking to Manga and Anime, thus even greater numbers versus our generation but I'm sure a big part is still just us disappearing. And I have no idea where so many of my peers went. Moments like these makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong- still here, still watching, still reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread