Open Sourcing the MangaDex@Home Client, Symfony Devs Acquired, and User Research Survey Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miku best girl
Admin
Your shard allocation stays the same, which means that over time, the number of writes should reduce once you've cached a lot of chapters in your shards.

1. Your client is assigned a number of shards to cache, which is random. The higher your allocated quota, the more shards you are assigned. So unless you are setting 10TB and caching absolutely everything, there wouldn't be a point to only using your own client.
2. Anything that can run Java.
3. The newest chapters are not served through the network - they served from the webserver via ddos-guard, who does the caching. The network only serves older chapters in the archives. Shards are allocated randomly, and there's no way for clients to choose which shards to cache.

The network is currently coping well, recorded traffic is around 1.5 Gbps, which means that it's probably going at over 2 Gbps, taking into account Tachiyomi etc.

I just noticed what a MangaDex@Home is. It's beautiful. Congratulations on this thing, it's really inspiring to see things like that on the web!

Wow that's a lot of response! It feel so good to be part of a comunity where adm and users are motivated to improve the platform ^^

Contributor
The legacy reader is the only way this site even works on my older iPads. I also prefer it on my computer.

Dex-chan lover
@Truck-kun
I think the blame for the former can be cast on the inevitable forward march of technology and Apple's extremely closed development ecosystem.

As for the latter, now's a good time to mention the reasons why you prefer it, if they haven't been mentioned already (image preload limits, UI clutter)

I dont check new usually. Am i missing something? Whats this new mangadex hom stuff. And what legacy reader?

@Kriskevz23
Dear reader, please continue on as you were.
"Mangadex@ Home" and other features are upgrades to the site. If you aren't finding any issues with reading manga then everything is working perfectly!

The "Legacy reader" is an old version of the webpage where you read your manga, it works slightly better if you have slow internet but otherwise it has been replaced (a long time ago) by the "New" one that you are already reading on.

Just out of curiosity how do you use the legacy reader because I'm just curious about the differences between the two.

Dex-chan lover
The legacy reader is incompatible with MangaDex@​Home so we'll likely be killing it off in the near future for the sake of the servers. Would recommend making the switch and getting used to the new reader!
I followed the advice for a moment and now I'm back to legacy reader because I couldn't figure out a way to disable the ""feature"" of going to the previous page if you click on the left side of the image. Is there any way to disable that? I don't want to have to constantly focus on where my mouse is positioned when I'm reading, I just want to go to the next page without having to fight with the UI.

Dex-chan lover
@MavB_Ver
Thank you for the help, that solved the problem. I wasn't aware the new reader has its own settings menu behind that "Settings" button.

Miku best girl
Admin
The default reader is highly customisable, some would argue too customisable, lol

@holo; thanks for your fast response :) how is the scaling for the storage? is this allowed to be become smaller in time?
Bluntly I'm planning to put my server in the datacenter (not yet; within a few months?); I was thinking of using putting pretty much space up to it because I'm not using it in the beginning; but in the future I would probably want to reclaim that space. Is that possible and allowed?

and how about the bandwidth? Let's say I put in 5 gbit; and want to scale it back on a later date; is that allowed?

Is there any chance of making a new project using Elixir and Phoenix Framework? It would bring the site performance to a whole new level. I'm web developer and would love to help you guys in this play

Group Leader
@RhoninFire
Moments like these makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong- still here, still watching, still reading.
I don't think so: you are still pursuing your passion while the other ones just abandoned it, often without finding something interesting enough to replace it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread