Ranting about people who talk like they know what should be the logical solution to a problem but still the "MC" does something completely opposite.

They just sound even more stupid.

Its a Manga.

Anything could happen and you expect an actual logical and realistic course of action from a Protagonist?

Supporter
Wouldn't the most logical solution to this problem be to ignore the comment and move on?
ePUNCEe.gif

Dex-chan lover
is this the same problem as "yo dude you shouldve kill that guy instead of sparing him hell backstab youuuuuuu" comment person?

well, everyone has their own opinion and i think free will is stupid.
submit to ducklord.

Dex-chan lover
mfw.

I'm not even part of that conversation, yet I don't have the energy to even try and make a useful comment, so i'm just going to continue writing and wasting space until i'm out of ideas, by the way, i think people who get obsessed with realism in fiction are missing the point entirely, fiction is fiction, it inherently disregards reality at some degree, manga is fiction, comics are fiction, movies are fiction, vidjagaems are fiction. I can mod my armor in Halo 5 to lower my noise and stop appering in motion trackers when i walk while equipping myself with silenced weapons that do less damage so tht i can "stealth" kill people but they can still hear me walk (if they have good hearing) and they definitely can still hear me shoot, or something like historical accuracy in BF1, like how guns that were never actually used can be used by players, or how russian airplanes appear in the french front. whatever i'm just leaving the circle into a tangent or somtng i'm not even writing proplery. Returning to mangos, i am sure that there isn't a single mango that is related to guns that doesn't have a single mistake or misconception.

End Of Thread, Fact Or Fiction, You Lost the point of the genre if you argue about realism, go read complain about something else.

took 3 months for this copypasta to get relevant.

Dex-chan lover
^Context: https://mangadex.org/thread/324750/9/#post_3357576
Yeah, it can sometimes be people projecting what they would do, or what they wish they would do, if they were in the MC's situation, and they overlook the MC's actual situation and individuality or whatever.

There's a distinction to be made about those comments and ones about a character's actions just straight up not making sense though (because that happens too), since believable actions and reactions make for a good story.

Dex-chan lover
I agree btos, Unfortunately as someone who likes to read the comments it's unfortunate that the people of the former seem to be more common than MC's not making sense. Luckily in the latter case there tend to be warning signs and I find it easier to drop.

Supporter
@nickandnacks
I just can't ignore them being stupid.
Can't you also apply this to those comments? Maybe they just can't ignore them being stupid and have to voice their frustrations.
tenor.gif

fyi I'm just fucking with you I honestly don't care.
@Halo glad to have you back man.

honestly most comments on stories don't bother me. I think a lot of people, at least subconsciously, think of forums the same as spoken conversations but don't think about the effects that time has on them. When people talk about manga, movies, why cubs fans suck ... often it occurs when they get together with others, meaning there is a break. So the person has had a chance to give it some thought or had a chance to calm down. On a forum I'm guessing most are likely to respond after they have read a chapter. So you're more likely to get a quick response like "...should've killed the guy" instead of "he should've dealt with this" or "he should've made it clear to stay away". Also there isn't that immediate feedback usually, the "yeah, but ...." that might elicit a "yeah, you're right is was just frustrating to..."

Another time issue is the amount of time it can take to comment, typically it takes longer to type a well thought out comment and add elaborations or explanations. So some comments aren't necessarily the best representation of what they mean and then you add into it was immediately after they read the chapter.

TLDR, I think btos is right that "believable actions and reactions make for a good story" and often it might just be the person comments were rushed or poorly thought out or frustrated.

"@sterven I just can't ignore them being stupid." You might try blocking the user if you feel they have nothing to add to conversation if just you can't ignore them.

This just made my day a whole lot better!

I unconsciously try to read anything that gets my attention and can't stop even if its a really long one. (even if I don't understand anything, I'd still read it)

Those type of "logical" comment are weird for me. Let's say the MC met the antagonist at the start, the Antagonist clearly evil and will backstab the MC.
- Scenario A: The MC forgive and leave Antagonist on their own. MC will be backstabbed, blahblahblah. And we have a story here.
- Scenario B: MC kills Antagonist right away. Well, there we go, we have one-shot here.

Dex-chan lover
@nickandnacks
ik its hard but like try to ignore things that made you mad.
and dont trouble yourself with engaging into a back and forth 200 word essay worth of argument with random people on the internet, you dont even know how they looked irl so why bother.

Dex-chan lover
@nickandnacks

Or, and hear me out on this one, authors could put a bit of effort into making logically consistent stories with characters that follow a very laid out internal logic that, when something deviates from what is to be expected, is justified within the narrative.

"It's just a manga" is a red herring that neither combats the argument and just reduces the entire conversation into the argument that just because something is within a certain artistic field, it shouldn't have good writing. It would be like going to an art museum and saying everything is "just a painting," or going through the library and pointing to all the novels and saying "they're just books." You can literally use this logic to justify anything.

@nuriawan26

Honestly, if the protagonist is aware that the behavior of the antagonist hints at them backstabbing them, then it is a valid criticism that they wouldn't be able to pick up on it if a normal person would be able to infer it by their behavior. A story based on a contrived premise and is only facilitated because the characters do something extremely dumb is still a bad narrative, which is why authors have to work hard to create a believable world with believable characters.

Not only that, but it also assumes that a good story couldn't take place from a later scenario, because obviously people face more challenges in their lives than that of just randomly encountering one person who may be the antagonist. Hell, a story where we characterize a protagonists as being very cunning and clever by out-playing someone who was about to backstab them could be extremely interesting and establish an interesting figure who may not be all that they seem on the surface.

Writing is hard work, but your audience will definitely appreciate the more rigor and thought you put into it.

Dex-chan lover
I don't know. The audience weighing in with a "woulda, coulda, shoulda" scenario, isn't something uncommon at all in media. Who hasn't seen a horror movie, and thought that the characters were so dumb it was like they were trying to get themselves killed.

Its a Manga.

Anything could happen and you expect an actual logical and realistic course of action from a Protagonist?

A certain amount of stupidity and absurdity can be brushed aside, to make a story work, however it could also be a sign of poor writing as well. Even in a fantastic scenario or world, everything still has to be grounded in some sort of reality, because if it isn't, it becomes unrelatable. Characters can't just do things that make no sense, and worlds need to work in some sort of logical way.

Users who are viewing this thread