Ratings: it comes up every time

Ratings: it comes up every time

• Objective

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Subjective

Votes: 19 82.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alright, every so often I get curious about one thing that comes up time and time again when it comes to...well, anything entertainment related : ratings. And it's pretty much always the same argument that pops up: "why does this have such a high (or low) rating?"

It happens on so many general comment sections for series yet never seems to get anywhere (lol, this discussion might not, either). Thought a general discussion thread on it would open up some opportunity for various angles.

So, are ratings objective, or subjective? is there any point in having them?

Should they be objective, or should they be subjective? If objective, how does a rating become unbiased/objective? If subjective, is there even a point to having such a thing (shown as a number, no less)? Or do they actually serve an entirely different purpose (eg the famous "trolls" or advertisement), and the number itself is not what's important?

Please comment with your thoughts!

*Apologies of there is another thread like this - or if it's in an entirely different board - please let me know and I'll move there. Had a quick look but didn't see anything (recent).

it is subjective, because rating one person's perspective from many people into one.

And if you combine it with some opiniom or sum from the user, it'll be easier for you to understand why did he/she give that rating.

but, i don't read a manga and a book based on the rating and comment, usually i read something that took my interest.

I'm on the subjective train, too. I don't rely on them (or even look at them, really) when it comes to reading or watching. I see them as completely irrelevant and not useful (but interesting when combined with an actual explanation) so I find it odd that websites such as mangadex have them. Especially free mediums which have comment sections available.

I get it for official mediums: the ratings and influenced views could determine the serialization and support for an author. It's like bait. "Look at how many people read this and think it's hot stuff! You should check it out too (and we might get money from it)!"

I do hope that some people who rely on ratings, or who comment with "why does this have such a high rating?"will comment here too and give their perspective on why the number is important.

Dex-chan lover
Objective tags would be based off checklist. That basically means just the tags it has, is the most non biased opinion you're gonna get; not on how good they are executed cause everyone will have an opinion of it. Examples below. Except for those who fight on what's considered yuri/Shoujo ai

100 Girlfriends who love you vs Nisekoi

Both are harem, romance, comedy,school life, shounen but some will think 100 GF MC is really obnoxious whilst others think he's chad on the otherhand some will think that Raku is Beta or that's he's really nice and isn't trying to 100 timing. Some will find both stories enjoyable others might hate both stories

Then you have I shaved and brought a girl home. Some think that you must screw every homeless girl that you shelter, others like that the MC have morals. Some think that "used goods" are useless sluts; others like sympathizing with a girl thats homeless and is doing what is socially wrong whilst she is surviving without financial or social supports

Dex-chan lover
Numbers don't matter,
only your opinion does;
Your choice no one else.

Group Leader
ratings can never be objective in my opinion, at least for ratings that aren't accompanied by reviews or something that explains the rating
even if most people dislike Gal Cleaning, it still has fans that like it for some unknown reason

this is why it's hard to get objective opinion just from ratings
but if you we ask certain people the reason behind his/her rating, then that subjective rating can always be justified

I personally think ratings should be objective. Not everything is equal, because there are series that are better than others doesnt matter what some people say. But a system like this, where everyone can rate a series without need of justification like writing a review or something like that cant have an objetive system of ratings.
Here is subjective like a lot of people already pointed out, and I agree in that you shouldnt rely on ratings to decide if you want to pick a serires or not. If you find the premise interessant, read the first chapters and then decide if you want to continue.

It all depends on the person. I’ve seen some series that in my opinion are trash, but have a higher rating that what I would give them.

Dex-chan lover
Ratings are objectively subjective (as in, they're subjective by nature).

However, ratings do often separate trash from worthwhile reads. Some media/fiction is borderline objectively better than others, due to various factors (time/effort/care/writer experience/etc.) that goes into stories. You're not going to find many people who honestly say and think that Uragirareta S Rank Boukensha no Ore wa is better than, say, Berserk (or [insert widely acclaimed manga name here]).

I tend to see what I like to refer to as 'safe and moe' manga become very highly rated on this site, most certainly due to the amount of users that go "yeah that made me feel warm and fuzzy, I'll rate it a 10". I've yet to read a manga from the 'safe and moe' category that hasn't been at least somewhat enjoyable, but I can never see myself giving them anything even close to a 10. Something like Pseudo Harem is sweet and all, but the highest I would go is a 7 (and I have it rated as a 6 currently).

Regards,
𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓣𝓲𝓭𝓼𝓽𝓮𝓻

@dane17eduard
even if most people dislike Gal Cleaning, it still has fans that like it for some unknown reason
Yes, because the author still have some potential, no matter how long fans need to wait for the next series.
(Even if the author have some trauma or something, i believe author still have some idea to make some series(maybe)). Just remember, it is the editor's fault for green lighting that shit.
e.g Usagi Drop

Double-page supporter
If ratings could be objective there would never be need for more than 1 rating per story. Even stories that are "objectively" better than other stories have subjective differences between them. Using tiddy's example of Uragirareta and Berserk, If we assume it as true, The difference between say Berserk and One Piece is as subjective as the Difference between Uragirareta and Gal Cleaning.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
I was writing my comment yesteday and didn't post it because of the timelimit, and sleepy me closed the tab so now it's lost forever.

You can't have objective ratings, ratings are subjective to the core.

Mangos are art, and art is an expression, an expression has interpretations, how I feel about a title may be different to how @bigtiddyoneesan feels about it. I could say SnK is trash and he would crucify me. What I want to say is that people rate Titles based on their own experiences, opinions and feelings. For example, I could've rated my beloved Youjo Senki a 7/10 because it has too much exposition and talking, strategy meetings and boring text, but I have it as a 10 because that is the point, it is not only action, the story and world sucks you in and it is so wonderful that you'll want to die in the trenches along with Tanya. On the other hand I have ecchi stuff that for me have a -1 point debuff because it is mostly just fanservice, same with oneshots, if I really like a oneshot, chances are that i won't give it a rating higher than an 8, 9 if it is really something extraordinary, 10 if it is very long. Actually, BTO mentioned Gal Cleaning, that manga would be a 7 or 8/10 if it weren't for those chapters, because the concept wasn't bad, the execution wasn't bad either, but what happened to it was what cause its overall value to decrease significanlty.

Bla bla bla, ratings require you to compare the thing you're rating to those around it and those you have encountered previously, making them exclusively subjective.

Staff
Super Moderator
@ColorfulSoy
In my case, I skipped those chapters, so (if I rated that title, I don't remember) it is a 7 for me.

Fed-Kun's army
The individual ratings are inherently subjective, the amassed average of the ratings is an objective measurement. Whether or not you like something specifically is subjective, whether or not the average amount of people like something is objective.

When someone asks "Why is this rated so high/low?" They are trying to understand why other people are having a (in the users eyes) disproportionate liking or disliking to the subject matter. This gets complicated as most people can not actually fully articulate why they like something, they just feel the intuitive emotion of liking that and accept it. They lack the ability to separate "I like this" with "this is a good product", or "I dislike this" and "this is a bad product". It's also further confounded by disagreements on what the ratings represent. For instance, the majority of people only rate things they like, thus there is an inclination to positive ratings. Is a series worth a "10" because you like it, or because it is a perfect work for what it is? Is a 1 for series I heavily dislike, or is for series that are so low quality as to be unbearable.

Dex-chan lover
@Richman
I could say SnK is trash and he would crucify me.
I wouldn't do that. I would just henceforth view your opinions as a 1 (in a 1 to 10 scale of worthy opinions).
Actually, BTO mentioned Gal Cleaning
Someone else mentioned Gal Cleaning, not me.

@ColorfulSoy
Just remember, it is the editor's fault for green lighting that shit.
But wasn't the author the one that decided to take the manga in that direction? They would both be at fault then.

Staff
Super Moderator
Someone else mentioned Gal Cleaning, not me.
@bigtiddyoneesan Now you have, so that sentence isn't wrong.

I wouldn't do that. I would just henceforth view your opinions as a 1 (in a 1 to 10 scale of worthy opinions).
That's fine, you're still an 8+/10 internet stranger friend.

@bigtiddyoneesan
But wasn't the author the one that decided to take the manga in that direction? They would both be at fault then.
Yes, that is true, but it's not both of them in fault.
Author does decide the plot, and editor's job is to check them, if it was good or bad.
If the editor have a good experience, maybe the editor will be reject author's hard sketch story (nem) and the author'll make the new one.

I know it's hard to believe, but it's just like the relationship between Translator and Proofreader.

Users who are viewing this thread