Reader beta feature: recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
Update seems like nice idea - if it gets upgraded to real "Recommendations" i will be pleased (of course, i think it will be better to keep it optional, because people have different opinions).
But for now: some problems with usage, or bugs.
1) Refreshing recommendations page invokes 404 error.
2) You cannot return to chapter from recommendations page using page buttons - if you get back by history, it's ok.
3) I can return to reading manga by clicking last chapter button, but page address stays the same (/recs). It creates some problems - for example problem no. 1 with refreshing.
3.1) After a few next/previous chapter: "End of Chapter/Go to Next" field gets then multiplied (twice, trice, or just disappears - behavior seems unspecified).

Contributor
I always liked how batoto had a list of the ten highest rated manga (with >50 ratings I think), that would be something I'd like to see as recommendations. Being able to mark mangaka/artists I like and having stuff by them that isn't on any of my follow lists show up as recommendations would be nice too. The search currently doesn't have a way to search just for works by an artist whose name is part of other artists' names though, that would probably need to be tweaked first.

Group Leader
@dylgramac I always liked how batoto had a list of the ten highest rated manga (with >50 ratings I think), that would be something I'd like to see as recommendations.
Isn't the "Top chapters" part on the front page exactly that? But yeah maybe have a list that appears on the right sidebar everywhere on the site

Thanks for fixing the bug @Teasday, except now when I press my browser's back button to go from the manga page back to the Recommendations page, I get a cute 404 error.

maybe you hadn't set the manga as Reading until after chapter 1?
That would explain a lot of things; thanks for the info. Hopefully we'll see a "mark all selected chapters as read" function soon?

Contributor
I hadn't seen that Top Chapters section because I rarely visit the main page, and you have to scroll past all the new chapters to get to it on mobile. I still think it would be a good option for recommendations, especially if it hid any that you put on one of your follow lists.

I have 118 manga in my follow list. It is impossible to follow all. *cries in corner*

Just add two columns to the 'simple list'. 'Newest chapter # (number) that is out' and second one 'Where I stopped reading #'.

Clicking on each manga manually is so annoying and disappointing. ?

Group Leader
It would be nice if I could follow and drop Mangas directly in the reader.
Like when I start a Manga and I am not sure if I will continue to read, I could just click follow when I decided to continue. Plus it should add all chapters (from chapter 1 to the chapter where you followed) to the read list, because I'd have to add all chapters manually.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Lukasio posted:

It would be nice if I could follow and drop Mangas directly in the reader.
I agree, but right now I don't have access to the relevant data in order to make that happen.

Instead of "recommending" some random unread chapters from your follows, why not just have an "Unread" page that lists ALL your follows that have unread chapters? Right now it's almost pointless to follow any old manga you find that isn't still updating, because it'll never show up in your follows lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread