Reader Not Working on Firefox :fixed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
@jdjohndoe13 Literally 2 people stated their FF versions, the other didn't, hence I said that for them to check. What are the chances that every body here is using 2-year-old version of FF?

At one point you're gonna have to update, even if it pains me to say it because a lot of apps don't or no longer work on my phone since it's stuck at Android 8 due to the phone stopped being sold/distributed since 2019, even Samsung customer services reluctantly told me it would be hard to find official replacement parts and support for my phone in about 2-3 years, if not impossible. I do think it's unreasonable to expect mods to cater to people still using very outdated versions of browsers or OS that interfere with the site's design and functions.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@jdjohndoe13 It's supported in every major browser and has been for years, and as far as I can tell it's no longer an experimental feature, it's in the Living Standard.

Screenshot_20210311-074215490_1.jpg

It's probably just servers being fucked again. Had the same problem ~12h ago. First eternal loading, then a bunch of 502 and 504s until not even the frontpage would load. Seems to be unrelated to browsers, as Firefox, Chromium and Konqueror all had the same problem.
I don't have any problems right now though, so it's probably regional. Perhaps still aftereffects from the server migration?

On chrome the chapters are loading just fine in incognito mode. But as soon aa i login they stop loading. Might be an issue with reader settings? I think
Edit. @BraveDude8
Android 7 Samsung Chrome 72. Never used Adblocker. Vpn doesnt work. Well i just checked with same settings. Manga loads easily without login on any reader setting in incognito but
And never loads while logged in.

Staff
Super Moderator
If you're still having issues, please post;

Device:
OS + version:
Browser + version
Whether you've got any adblockers/script blocking/anything unusual installed as a browser add-on:
If you're using an ISP with a history of blocking things:
If you've tried a VPN:

The reader needs to be able to load content from mangadex.network (domain hosting images) or it won't work, so make sure that's not being blocked. Some people in SEA are having DNS requests for MD blackholed, so change your DNS servers to Google/Cloudflare and see if that makes a difference. If you see DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN, it's this.

If you're running a four year old browser for some reason; update it. We're not maintaining compatibility with legacy software so irrelevant it doesn't even show up on our analytics.

If you've got anything back to an iPhone 5s, any iPad Air, or anything of a similar age running iOS, make sure you're running the highest version of iOS you can get. Anything older, I have no idea.

And the PS4 of all things baffles me.

Staff
Super Moderator
@DrMuhammad Clear cookies/site data for MD specifically, try again. If incognito works it's something screwy there.

@BraveDude8 thanks buddy
Just tried that. Did not work. :(
It seems that mangadex is loading images in incognito( logged in or not)
And not loading images on normal tabs. (with or without login) wierd
everything was fine a few hours back

Well, let me record the date we found something wrong USA pacific time

3/10/21
7:00 ish PM

Damn, guess it's not a firefox only issue.
I'm not convinced it's an experimental API issue either.
I've never seen this behavior in a website reader before.

How about
Google tags?
Cloudflare?

Ps4 user checking in, things seem to be working again, if any tweaks were made they work so far, and thanks if so.

Dex-chan lover
They who can't load the images are those who are having trouble with Blob.
Check it at this site and see whether "Objectstore Blob support" and "Objectstore ArrayBuffer support" are supported or not:
http://html5test.com/
Blob also can't work in Firefox if you are using Private Mode or disabled the History.

Edit: Nevermind. Sorry I posted an inaccurate information. I tried Firefox 56.0.2 and the reader still doesn't work.

Fed-Kun's army
Same issue here on Firefox 52. No luck in incognito or safe mode, clearing cookies did nothing either, also tried whitelisting mangadex.network in noscript, nope. It works fine on Chrome.

I'm a bit baffled as it was working fine up until today.

Edit: Updated Firefox to a newer version (86) and the reader works. Now to spend hours making the Firefox layout bearable again.

Same with Firefox - had no issues until a couple of hours ago.

I tested various browser versions, really old ones, but also the latest on two different windows systems.
Disabled browser plugins, doesnt help. Tried clearing cache, changing reader settings in various ways, the images won't load at all.
Also doesn't matter if in private or not, it just does not work. I even tried a different ISP since I have two connections from different providers.

The whole site works just fine but trying to read a chapter does not work at all. Reader stuck at loading images, spins forever.

Then I installed Chrome on one of my machines, nothing else changed. Reader in Chrome works, pictures are loading.

Dex-chan lover
Just adding a bit more here. Using Arch linux, "version" is a bit behind, linux 5.10.20-1, PaleMoon 28.17. Both ublock origin and umatrix. VPN and no VPN. Yesterday I had a similar problem, which was resolved by allowing xhr requests from mangadex.network (and I think scripts from some other related server). Both times I had no issue reading manga that already had an image loaded, including going to new chapters, but opening new ones or refreshing caused issues. However, after restarting my browser, it seems to load the image previously cached just fine, but going to a new page or a new chapter causes the endless load. An incognito tab has no problems.

If I look at things in web console, the last thing that loads is the xhr request to get the image, and if I look at the response to that request, the image will show up, but it won't load in the reader.

Dex-chan lover
One more thing, yesterday to get it working I had to accept scripts from ddos-guard.net, but that script doesn't seem to be loaded anymore.

*edit* Ok, looking at the incognito tab that works, the script from ddos-guard.net does show up, but it does not seem to be requested on my non-incognito session.

*edit2* clearing cookies from mangadex and ddos did nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread