Risou no Himo Seikatsu - Vol. 13 Ch. 56 - Imperial Wrath

Dex-chan lover
I'm surprised they haven't come up with a use for colour-changing leather yet already
Sometimes it takes an outside perspective to consider new ways of thinking, especially if the culture has already decided the item is "useless."

And I wonder if those dragons are tamable? They could make a cute pet.

Thanks for the translation.

Dex-chan lover
Sometimes it takes an outside perspective to consider new ways of thinking, especially if the culture has already decided the item is "useless."

This. Some of the best ideas happen after people have already deemed it useless/pointless. It's true usefulness is usually not discovered until a generation or more down the road when someone with an "unconventional" way of thinking looks at it.

Hell, this sounds like the perfect gear for someone who has a job of being a scout.

five bucks this old man is lying.
Which one?

Dex-chan lover
Confirming whether the story involving Francesco's ascending the throne has just been thrown out the window now, huh.

Dex-chan lover
I really wish they would stop calling basic lizards and the unimaginative dinosaur designs from jurassic park "Dinosaurs". Am I really supposed to believe they never had stories or descriptions of actual dragons? Even then how did any reptile become a dragon for them? This is a nitpick but gosh it annoys me.

Dex-chan lover
Reading this manga makes me grateful for not being born as a royalty/nobility. The moment there's conflict I'd probably sitting in a corner while trembling and thinking whether I should run away or not.

And goddamn Zenjiro tho. Reminds me of my friend saying "Never angered a calm and patience person"

Dex-chan lover
Lucrezia continues to show how incapable of political intrigue she is. Ironically, that's probably her strongest trait to become one of his wives. She's so transparent that she's a safe choice if you want someone who won't backstab or manipulate you.

That's not how camouflage works. You want to be the real colour of your surroundings, not the apparent colour. The time of day, or rather, lighting conditions, don't matter, since they will affect you just as much as your surroundings.

They fucked up by trying to get his son involved. I hope he makes them regret it.
If you have a good father, don't touch his family.

Yeah, but I think it's still a bit of a stretch. Even thin leather is fairly durable and useful for many applications. And you can always layer it, like a gambeson layers cloth.

A changing colour also has several applications.
Hell, this sounds like the perfect gear for someone who has a job of being a scout.
That's one of them, if the colour is better suited for camouflage than any static colour. But even the novelty of a changing colour can be used for fashion.

In other words, I think there are too many uses for that skin to be deemed completely useless. It's not like there's a single useful purpose for it they've somehow overlooked; it's a bunch of them. Well, that's what it seems like from the information given.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, but I think it's still a bit of a stretch. Even thin leather is fairly durable and useful for many applications. And you can always layer it, like a gambeson layers cloth.
Layering leather has its own problems, and don't forget the standard dragons in this world already give perfectly functional leather in several thicknesses for all puproses.
Big part of the "uselessness" is that you can get something better for less effort almost everywhere else. Economics matter..

And from the examples and description, people have tried to do something with it in the past. It just turned out to be uneconomical or impractical.
Zenjirou is about to do some reverse engineering here based on modern technology, using a natural phenomenon.
Something the people in that world aren't used to, because they have magic to deal with things.
(And let's be fair.. Less than 100 years ago, and in ways even less than 50 years, we'd have run into the same problems and limitations. Peeps forget how fast technological progress has been, fuelled by a couple of declared and undeclared wars..
In the 1920's even "the West" had just started transitioning from steam/horse power to diesel, and synthetics/plastics as a replacement for Natural Stuff was still in its infancy. etc..)

The waves he's going to make are much bigger than he's expecting, though.. Because in finding a non-magical way to make use of something "useless" , he will be severely upsetting the local power balance.
"Beware of the well-intentioned. They are oft a bigger threat than those of ill will."

Dex-chan lover

I wouldn’t be surprised if young folk tend to keep them as pets, especially with them, seemingly, being easy to take care of

Dex-chan lover
If he gives camo technology to the military inclined tribes of a potential enemy kingdom he's an absolute moron and terrible at this negotiating stuff.

Dex-chan lover
I really wish they would stop calling basic lizards and the unimaginative dinosaur designs from jurassic park "Dinosaurs". Am I really supposed to believe they never had stories or descriptions of actual dragons? Even then how did any reptile become a dragon for them? This is a nitpick but gosh it annoys me.
they would actually call it something else remember this is a translation (not only from japanese to english but also from the language of the series et in to japanese as such even if they had a different word it would be translated to something he would understand. also while yes dinosaur is a better determinator when it comes to fantasy determinations the term "dragon" would be an all encompasing term for them as there are also sea dragons (which we have actually seen at the time that skadi and the princess first arrived) and we haven't seen a lot of others. so while yes it would be more logical to our world to define them as "dinosaurs" having them named as dragons (or specifically drakes) would be a lot more logical in the fantasy worlds biological definitional system.

Users who are viewing this thread