Saihate no Paladin - Ch. 58

Dex-chan lover
Usually fights getting dragged this long in other mangas annoy me but I feel nothing but chills with each new chapter

Saihate's fantasy writing just hit different man

Dex-chan lover
Valacirca's human like legs are so uncanny to me. It adds to the horror aspect of the dragon, and it also fits the realization Will had at the start of this chapter. Valacirca can pretty much freely transform, he might actually be a human that transformed into a dragon.

Dex-chan lover
This is turning into one of my favorite arcs, maybe in all of manga. I want it to keep going but I am also interested in how it will end.

Contributor
if not for Frieren or Helck, this would be definitely the fantasy manga of the decade

Dex-chan lover
Can we maybe not ban the people translating the series just because they do a few unsavory things? Thanks.
"A few unsavory things" manhwa-freaks actively ruin series though, with actually dogshit translations that almost make MTL look high quality, awful unnecessary censoring, and constant begging for money. I am honestly surprised they havent gotten the ban hammer yet cuz I swear theyve at least broken some site rule before.

Double-page supporter
and the result of this was... the dragon NOT immediately killing the downed allies? Will could've just pulled off a successful bluff (bluffing that he doesn't care about the lives of his allies). Or does the dragon have some reason to not kill them?
I hate that the dragon didn't follow through on its threat. Not that I want the others to die, but the mantra of "As long as one of us stands we still win" rings hollow if no one actually loses anything. Like, why did the dragon not immediately crush them when he said no? From the dragons perspective, it has every reason to. They have no more use and crushing them can demoralize his Will.

The dead is casualty, but the injured is liability. Even though Will said he trusted his comrade's resolve, as long as they're still alive he'll be mindful of their state, and his action will be somewhat restricted. If Valacirca killed them right away, not only it would completely free Will's hands, it might even give him a fighting boost (via rage and thirst for revenge).

Also, giving a sliver of hope then crushing it sounds like the kind of sick entertainment that the dragon enjoyed.

Dex-chan lover
Did I read this wrong or is this meant to mean flounder with an L, please?
I was thinking the same and googled it. Dictionary meaning #3,

verb: founder; 3rd person present: founders; past tense: foundered; past participle: foundered; gerund or present participle: foundering
  1. (of a ship) fill with water and sink.
    "six drowned when the yacht foundered off the Florida coast"

Similar:
    sink, go to the bottom, go down, be lost at sea, submerge, capsize. run aground

or
    • (of a plan or undertaking) fail or break down, typically as a result of a particular problem or setback.
      "the talks foundered on the issue of reform"

Similar:
      fail, be unsuccessful, not succeed, lack success, fall through

Dex-chan lover
The dead is casualty, but the injured is liability. Even though Will said he trusted his comrade's resolve, as long as they're still alive he'll be mindful of their state, and his action will be somewhat restricted. If Valacirca killed them right away, not only it would completely free Will's hands, it might even give him a fighting boost (via rage and thirst for revenge).

Also, giving a sliver of hope then crushing it sounds like the kind of sick entertainment that the dragon enjoyed.
While that might be true in normal combat, that's not really how this scene is framed. The dragon doesn't fear Will. He doesn't have a reason to fear his rage, and Will has explicitly expressed that he will not be saving them if it means he can kill Valacirca. They're also very clearly not all unconscious so can still pose a threat themselves.

If the dragon is indeed just doing it to crush his hope further, great, I would love that. But that's not what I'm feeling from the scene. He doesn't say anything about it or show a sign of it after Will says he'll sacrifice them if that's what is needed, he just says "You're going to fail" and charges straight at him. To me it just feels like an excuse for everyone to live in an encounter they've been framing as lethal to the point of stupidity for 20+ chapters, which is not the kind of shounen bullshit I go for.

Dex-chan lover
ah yes textbook definitions because meaning is always static in the words we use.
go home your drunk.
Words do actually have meanings, that's their purpose, to convey a concept or describe a thing. You can use context for clues about what they mean specifically. For example, Scamwhafucks explicitly state they are "hiring" translators and also asking for volunteers for other tasks. This implies that the other jobs are not for pay.

Thus, the word "Hiring" in this instance means "for pay", and you're a moron.
They only paid translator? I think thats what they mean.. idk..
You're giving them way too much credit when it's far more likely given their shit translations that Scamwhafucks are just MTL'ing everything and pocketing the money.

Last edited:
You're giving them way too much credit when it's far more likely given their shit translations that Scamwhafucks are just MTL'ing everything and pocketing the money.
This reminds me of MangaDemon.
I'm pretty sure at one point a few months ago they were stealing from other groups while labeling the work as their own, got told to fuck off, and are now using MTL heavily.

Dex-chan lover
The art is so good. The way this fight is developing is spectacular. There is no easy win, no ace in the hole. Valacirca keeps giving Will the easy way out; give up, join him. And Will doesn't disappoint, he is a hero to the end.

Banned
does the dragon have some reason to not kill them?
My guess is simply that taking the couple of seconds to kill them would mean leaving himself open to a retaliatory strike from Will, and he sees that as a bigger threat than anything they could do from their current position.
Did I read this wrong or is this meant to mean flounder with an L, please?
It's kinda an archaic usage, but "founder" can actually mean "fail/collapse/give out".

Dex-chan lover
Hah, he’s learned the Soulsborne lesson: always press FORWARD not back against big bosses xD

Users who are viewing this thread