Saihate no Paladin - Vol. 12 Ch. 55

Supporter
J.R.R. Tolkien had some pretty strong opinions about what constitutes a "dragon"; in his mind, a dragon can't just look like a "dragon"; it also has to fit the story's themes. In that regard, the author's really knocking it out of the park here, with the dragon representing Wil's own crippling hesitation.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It's a boring fantasy manga with a 6.8 rating on MyAnimeList lol
There's no fanservice, the story actually deals with heavy themes, the protagonist isn't a self insert with no depth, he doesn't have completely broken abilities, and the world doesn't use canned RPG tropes. Of course it isn't popular. The market has made it clear that people want mindless wish fulfillment fantasy. That's fine! I can enjoy that too. Not everything has to be serious. But I personally love earnest stories like this that aren't just tits and action, and actually want to do some soul searching.

Last edited:
Thanks for translating this chapter!

I like how it portrays how utterly dangerous dragonspeech can be.
The monster uses its speech as a claw to shred its prey's armor.

Dex-chan lover
sadly the anime is not as good as the manga cause they not only deviated from the way things happened in the novel, but also from the way they happened in the manga. in short they made alterations to events that take away the punch from alot of good emotional scenes. also they never got this far.
oh you mean like how they fucked up "I'm a spider, so what?" anime by fucking doing a god damn time skip running parallel to everything that was happening to Kumoko as she had just been reincarnated

Dex-chan lover
oh you mean like how they fucked up "I'm a spider, so what?" anime by fucking doing a god damn time skip running parallel to everything that was happening to Kumoko as she had just been reincarnated
sort of. They did events in an out of order way. Also the ambush with the chimera had alot of its emotional weight cut out from under it when the "dying and burned" meneldor in the anime barely had a scratch on him. The big build up to will's heroic break down in that arc was kinda shoddily done cause they did events out of order, so it barely made any sense.

Dex-chan lover
sort of. They did events in an out of order way. Also the ambush with the chimera had alot of its emotional weight cut out from under it when the "dying and burned" meneldor in the anime barely had a scratch on him. The big build up to will's heroic break down in that arc was kinda shoddily done cause they did events out of order, so it barely made any sense.
dammit crunchyroll if your not going to do it right than don't bother at all and let a studio who actually has respect for the f**king work do it.

Dex-chan lover
ddmcdr5-d973f8f4-425c-4c29-9ff0-a7ded220a78a.png

he really reminds me of grigori from dragon's dogma, just a tad less chill about getting shanked by the hero in the end. an eloquent and well spoken dragon, starts a moral dilemma from his clash with the protagonist rather than just a straight up brawl from the get-go
it really is! I really liked Grigori in dragon's dogma as a dragon and this dragon reminds me of it. Can't wait to play dragon's dogma 2 when it's released.

Contributor
If he theoretically accepts the deal, on one hand there's technically nothing stopping Valacirca from razing their towns and killing them all while they sleep. This dragon simply has the power to do so once they let down their guard. Or like Will said, betray him in 50 years and then destroy their cities too. He says he's not a threat to innocents, but can the words of something powerful that betrayed even gods be trusted?

On the other hand, if this dragon actually does serve him (I have a hard time believing this considering the very apparent power gap between them), he could be useful against the sealed High King who once devastated the continent. That's the most obvious enemy that Valacirca's power could be used against. Otherwise, Will doesn't need his "services".

But here's the most important thing. Will is a priest of Gracefeel. I love that she reminded him of this fact at the end of this chapter by a gentle pat on the head as divine intervention. His answer was right there: be the extension of her divine will, and fulfill the oath he took. As he dedicated his life to be in her service, it's true: as her faithful servant it really wasn't his choice to make.

IIRC Valacirca and the High King were basically twin disasters that devastated the Southmark continent, which was once filled with Gracefeel's followers. Will is her only priest there because of that catastrophe. I don't believe she would appreciate Will making a (temporary) pact with a dragon that has once deceived even the gods and lived to boast about it. This is going to be a battle.

Dex-chan lover
This dragon has lived for a long time, wisdom and eloquence is a given.
A human won't win a battle of words.

It's a boring fantasy manga with a 6.8 rating on MyAnimeList lol
The problem is the animation studio behind it, look at Freiren for example.

Anyhow, I really love this author, Tolkien inspired fantasy stuff are just the best! This dragon is an ACTUAL dragon. "Evil" not for the sake of having a cool name or did something, but thoroughly evil to the core, where the dragon's very existence exists to corrupt others and sow chaos to fulfill it's desires.

Users who are viewing this thread