Sayonara Mangadex, putting down our rose colored glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
@crazybars for a sec I thought you were being sarcastic, but now that I know you're serious I have to laugh 8D
If mangadex makes it big by going legit, same thing will happen to them that happened to Crunchyroll: Competitors (and pirates I guess). They will not be able to have a total monopoly even if they TRIED to do so. That's the beauty of a Free Market Economy.
The crazy in your name is right is you really believe they want total world domination XD

IDK Correct me if I'm wrong @holo you want total world domination?

Double-page supporter
My question is why havent they pull out the chapters yet? i dont really care just find it weird to say: we are leaving and taking everything because reasons, and not do anything. Either way fun read.

1 Mangadex should implement a feature to block specific groups and people
2 70% of this drama is bs
3 30% of this drama is legit
4 if these guys remove their translated chapters,i'm just going to use sites like mangakeleot or kissmanga(not going to babysit 10+ sites just to view a single chapter)
5 There is a feature for dealys.
6 Thinking that mangadex is a place where all the gods and angels reside is foolish
7 Why didn't you guys work this out in private first?
8 THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO BENEFIT FROM THIS ARE AGGREGATE SITES
9 Mangadex is not a "safespace"
10 sorry for the terrible grammar

So serious question if these groups have officially dropped out of MD. Can others now step in and snipe the series being used as hostages without backlash?

Group Leader
@gyahaha
HAHAHAHAH sorry what? I just can't not commenting on this shit, $55 for raw? $45 of it is for transportation? what the fug

@ Anybody curious on pricing for non-digital stuff....

Pricing :: Mags on Amazon.co.jp are roughly 7-9$ US... Shipping ( from amazon, not individual sellers that ship themselves ) goes up depending on how much you buy. My last shipment of 3 mags was 15$ us. And it comes from JP and goes to the east coast US in 3 days. Damn impressive IMO... Tanks are usually 5-7$ a volume.

If you HAVE to use individual sellers the shipping does get pretty bad. I missed buying two mags in a timely manner and bought it "used - good condition" from an amazon seller, and it was 75$ US for shipping. That takes a couple weeks to get delivered too.

Well... RIP readers being inconvenienced by powers above them. I'm not moving anywhere, so I guess I'll have to drop the few series they scanlated that I followed. Oh wait, the few that I do follow from them aren't often updated and clearly low in their priority list. Heh, maybe I'm lucky, but truly. I'm just disappointed as a reader.

When I find a series I want to catch up on and it isn't hosted on Mangadex, I do a Google search for it-And guess what? I never find the scanlators. I just find an aggregator site. If I saw a delay instead, that was enough for me to check out the scanlators' sites because it was easily accessible in the most legitimate way. So honestly, as a reader... Not only would these kinds of things inconvenience me, it'd take me farther away from the scanlators. ...Which, if they're causing me said inconvenience, maybe it's a good thing, but I at least liked the idea of being able to support the working people in some small way.

Long story short, I like to do things as legitimately as feasibly possible in a normal person's life, which mind you, doesn't have all the time to cycle through a dozen sites every week. RIP people like me, which considering this site, aren't uncommon at all.

@DaGoauld I would assume so, since they are on their own platform it's not two people vying for the same Manga on the same site, but they might disagree with you on that 🤪

Don't read any of the series that these groups cover except MHA, so don't really care. All you're doing is encouraging an /a/non group to snipe you, or for MD users to use ad-regators instead.

For the morons posting "MD dead", these groups only do a small portion of the manga on the site. Besides that, these groups arent doing some grand heroic rebellion. They want their patreon and ad money, and they're willing to let both their site and Mangadex potentially burn to get it. All they're going to do is funnel their users to Mangakakalot and KissManga, because no one wants to dick around cycling through 10 subpar scanlator sites to check their manga updates.

Group Leader
@Samishii23 it's even worse than that, they have a contact in Japan that gets it to them before it's even released in stores (an insider) which is already scummy. The mag itself in Japanese is only 260YEN, and they claim everything else is transportation cost, so it's actually about $52.50 for their "Transportation" since the contact is in Japan and scans for them.

Group Leader
@Solistia
I wish I could get the mag for 260Y ... But seriously though, a lot of dragon age mag's are 900+ pages. For 7-9$?! You still get a damn good deals worth...
Now....... Just need to learn to read JP...

there apparently isn't a quote function on this forum but as Jendrej and TechnicsMan said I could not care less about the actual site since I just use an aggregator aggregator. It was nice to have a convenient place to look things up ala batoto but there are 50 other aggregators and the loss of 1 will not be missed.
I suppose it's my fault for being uninformed but the news that "mangadex was always looking to go legit" was a bit disappointing.

Dex-chan lover
While I hope MD never turns into CR, Fakku or Wakanim with their poor service, overcharging, intrusive ads, data selling, paywalling etc this decision will lead to everyone losing imo. I honestly don't mind donations or patreons as long as they remain optional. It does cost money to buy raws, keep up your website and sometimes hire staff when volunteers aren't available. However, by removing your content from here, you'll still allow aggregators to snipe off you while lowering your expoure. Reddit and 4chan are also becoming increasingly censored and profit driven. So it wouldn't be surprising if you cut off potential donators like that. I suggest you guys rethink about it and maybe talk it out. There must be a compromise somwhere, right?

MD: Maybe rethink your policy about donations and allow them to put those links in their manga and on their pages? Also don't go full corporate please. We all know the mangaka will never get a significant amount of the money and many features will be paywalled and geolocked. Then you'll have to censor controversial manga to please the mainstream audience. The scanlation scene will also be left in shambles.

Scanlators: Get back and think about the long term consequences rather than short term ones. Open up for dialogue.

To both: Stop shifting the blame on each other. We're adults here. No need for gatekeeping or shaming. Try to work something out. Good luck in your endeavors. I hope you succeed and that both the industry and the fan communities around the world thrive.

Dex-chan lover
@Holo
Now that they are gone what about making max delay 1 week again?
2 weeks is just insane and serves no one in my opinion

@Holo

You stating that as your goal makes it so I must treat it as though that is your end goal and intent, despite the possibility being incredibly remote.

You confirming this is your intent makes it worse.
https://i.imgur.com/Do4n4k9.png

That end goal you stated is completely unacceptable from our scanslator's point of view, regardless of context. I like you guys, but we scanslator groups gotta cover our ass, just in case.

Group Leader
Here's a tip for everyone who uses Mangadex as a bookmarking site.

Don't.

Use Mangaupdates. It has a manga database bigger than Anilist and even MAL. And it also includes Korean and Chinese comics. Instead of refreshing every aggregator / scanlators site, just refresh mangaupdates. And it's also up to date with the most current releases.

About the drama, this is what you guys sound like:
Readers: Mangadex is so awesome, how can we help support it?
Also readers: Why the fuck are scanlators asking for donations? That's stealing!

See the hypocrisy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread