Sayonara Mangadex, putting down our rose colored glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And so the cycle continues.

This whole argument is really stupid. The scanlators are babies that are actually only motivated by profit (JB is the most obvious offender) and the MD admins are either grossly underestimating how terrible of an idea going official is, or are completely ready to torch 95% of their users at a last-ditch effort to become a Crunchyroll clone (which will not work.) I'm sure it's been said before but it needs to be restated: going official will slash your traffic by more than 50% easily. Barely anybody using this site gives two shits about the administrators or supporting creators, they just want free, easy manga. They'll go right back to KissManga the moment a pricetag appears and never look back. I'm one of those readers - if I have free, easy access to something online, God knows I'm not gonna pay for it. I've dealt with KM and other awful aggregators on and off for years, it's no skin off my back if I have to go back there until another Mangadex-like site appears. This is the most common mindset by far.

MD, if you guys choose to go official, good luck. Don't expect much.

Fed-Kun's army
Okay so you guys want me to go to your site and read your stuff there?
*turns on adblock*
here we go again

Welp. I thought mangadex was the reader I was looking for. Don't y'all understand that going legit means anything unofficial will be removed? And you'll have to pay, because MD says no to adds.

Really am disappointed.

Oh and about the "hurr durr they just want more moneyzzz can't get enough shekels off MD", JB at least (idk about the others) is not in it for the money.
HpsT6Kh.png

More info in https://discord.gg/YWjMMqV (JB AMA).

Group Leader
@iznaroth @lordkarma88 They said they'd like to go legit. They'll probably never get the chance to do so though. So in the end their wishful thinking doesn't affect us in any way.

@frostblood no it's not grey, I said sone people see it as. But it's not. What I'm doing is illegal, I won't argue.

I also spend a riduculous amount of money on JP merch and BDs, manga and LNs for EN and JP along with figures. Does that make it right? No.

Why do you keep bring up ads like people "have" to stream things and deal with kisshit malware. Has no one heard of torrents? I mean, most anime sites just steal torrents then downscale the video. Why deal with them when you can torrent yourself.

I agree about the complaining. If it's 2 weeks behind whatever. Just go to the site and read it. Only issue is if people paywall it. Would be like having to pay for a bootleg VHS (woo fun times) vs just DLing it.

But places like kisshit actively put up malware ads and ip ban adblocks. Several of the scanlates sites have...questionable ads and unfortunately ATM MD is one of the best readers. Alot of scan sites don't.

At the end of the day the "claim" is mangadex wants to go legit so we're leaving. Any sane or sensible person knows it'll never happen.

The One
Staff
Admin
MD admins are either grossly underestimating how terrible of an idea going official is, or are completely ready to torch 95% of their user
@iznaroth

Oh we know.

As we said, it was an utopia idea that turned into a meme, that could never work. Where we would make everyone happy Publishers, Scanlators, Readers.
We don't want to lose most of our chapters, and our readers with them. Certain Staff members even said they will quit if we "go legit". It was never a really serious consideration. Just random musings.

@Parnifia but let's assume they do get the opportunity, afaik they'll jump on it with no consideration at all. Except suddenly I'm hearing it's a meme.

memebtw.png

Meme btw

I read most manga on other site's anyways, If it's not here, it's somewhere else, and that's where I will read it. doesn't matter if it is your site or another site.

Group Leader
With the risk to burn myself by coming here.
For what it's worth: Have removed donations from Silent Sky. As for the rest (ads, patreon, asking for donations in releases) is something we have never done.

\o

@Lymus

Well, that's a relief at least. Glad you guys are keeping a level head about it all. GL dealing with the fallout of this BS.

@lordkarma88
if they get the opportunity to get millions of dollars worth of contracts? nice meme.
at best many big JP firm could partner with them, but considering most already have their own sites that's not realistic.

but yes, if the stars align and they keep the majority of their library would go for it, as would anyone. the catch here is that's close to impossible.

Dex-chan lover
@lordkarma88

Best meme is that you are actually trying to argue with a picture without full context.

Imagine being this dumb.

Imagine thinking you're not incentivizing going on any other site to read theses series. Its 2019 everyone has adblock only reason people use Mangadex is because its all in one spot. Whoever was the ringleader who managed to get all you dumbass scanlations groups to actually follow through w/ this either never went to an eco class in fucking high school or is an optimist at heart. Doesn't take a genius to understand this isn't gonna go your way

Thank God for mangarock source I guess.

Honestly I don't care about the drama, I just want ad-free, easy to access Manga with timely translation.

I'm willing to pay for a monthly subscription if EVERY manga is listed and set to be translated (impossible, I can only wish). The problem with crunchyroll is that the list of Manga I can read is so limited and there are a lot more Mangas coming out every week compared to anime so translations become an issue.

There are also the Japanese publishers who don't want to license their Manga because they want to publish them in English themselves.

This means that my source of reading will be separated again, what's the point if I can just go to a free illegal aggregator?

It'll be similar to be subscribed to multiple different magazines in Japan, sure but the reader will be different. If Mangadex is like a bookstore where we can subscribe to individual magazines and then have them all in the app and web reader, then maybe it'll be possible but with the way people are, it's easier to just choose another source which is free.

I really hope that mangadex drops this idea of wanting to go legit until they successfully manage to get at least 95% of all the mangas' publishing rights.

Mangadex started out as a free aggregator so a business strategy like JNC's won't work. It'll be like fakku, expect a lot of drop in traffic when there are alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread