Sengoku Komachi Kuroutan: Noukou Giga - Vol. 8 Ch. 38 - Hospitality

Fed-Kun's army
Well I don't really want to start a debate but I'm still not sure helping Catholicism spread is necessarily a good thing in the long term for Japan. It generally didn't only brought good things where it arrived.

@Mivas after Nobunaga death, Toyotomo Hideyoshi will ban christianity and all who follow it were killed. They would be publicly tortured, crucified and killed. Tokugawa Ieasu is no different and pretty much the same thing happened. This will later known as "The 26 Martyr" and created "The Hidden Christian" in Japan's History

Double-page supporter
@Kitcat1925 First thing I did was Google a video of one and damn they are that big.
@Syanalassa My guess is that, like the random eagle the missionary have connections to foreign trade that he wants. And having them owe him is easier to get what he wants than going trough just a trader. I mean her foreign/future knowledge is great and all but she's not an infinite genie.

"you're not afraid of it?"
Bitch she raises wolves like they are puppy dogs. She is such a rando Dr. Doolittle and I love it.

Fed-Kun's army
@Waifuhunter101 I know what sadly happened to catholic followers in Japan irl. I just meant that the Catholic Church has an history, once they becomes influent enough in a certain region, of trying to impose there dogmas to the part of the population who don't follow them and often not in a peaceful way, in particular in the period represented here.

@Mivas, not any Catholicism, that guy's Catholicism. If the history keeps changing, Nobunaga may not be betrayed at all, maybe.

Fed-Kun's army
Entire series in nutshell

BUIOUAT.png

Dex-chan lover
@Mivas To be fair, that only worked in Europe mostly due to proximity. Communication is key for how and why the Christian-Catholic church in particular was able to enforce their dogmas and agendas to be an actual political entity in Europe. With Japan being Japan, its really more so up to the missionaries to do their best.

@Waifuhunter101 Fatherland is an interchangable term with "Homeland" it could be a mistranslation, or it could just mean Portugalr, the land of his fathers.

I guess this is one instance where a Mary Sue-esque character is fine, because she serves as the explanation for the information presented at hand. She’s super knowledgeable though.

Double-page supporter
Just realized Oda rules after Columbus found America.

And I didn't even know potatos and tomatos have flowers. This series is good.

Group Leader
@Waifuhunter101
He used 祖国, which can mean both fatherland or motherland (or even ancestor's land), so we searched what the most common one used in Portuguese, which why we settled with fatherland.

lmao, no way shizuko is going to leave, maybe send a few letters, buut nothing much. also, HARPY EAGLE, and maybe a Haast eagle?! I'm so excited!

Dex-chan lover
Saint Shizuko huh... I sure hope his missionary work isn’t too successful though. Don’t want Japan to become catholic now do we

I am curious to see how the author continues to portray Luis Frois, and am pleasantly surprised, so far.
I hope, though, seeing how well researched the author is in other areas, even though missionaries, in principle, have the secondary goal of promoting human health, life, and dignity of all individuals, that they don't have Frois "venerate" her on the grounds of sharing such a goal and knowledge of scripture, or even perceived miracles, for that matter.
Since he is clergyman, a member of the ecclesiastic structure, he should know how prudent and careful the Church is about who is declared a saint. In order for someone's cause to be opened to canonization, the must believe there is sufficient proof that the person was an ardent servant of Christ, as well as filled with the supernatural Life of Christ, something obtained through the sacraments, principally Baptism, or otherwise martyrdom. In the tradition of Paul's words: "it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me".
It is only when the College of Cardinals exhausts all credible documentation of the persons life, with additional requirements of evidence of that person's 'God-centered-sanctity', particularly up to the moment of their death, that they may declare that the 'saint-in-question' is, beyond a reasonable doubt, in union with God in heaven, and therefore a universal saint.

For the Fellow Reader's information.

Dex-chan lover
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, the Society of Jesus was a channel for the Renaissance and teaching of humanism, and defended Native Americans from slavery. On the other hand, they were also a channel for the Portuguese Inquisition in India and erasure of native culture, religion and language.

I wonder what he'd say if Shizuko went, "I have some criticisms about teaching people the concept of original sin..." Because does that ever fuck with people's minds.

(I grew up Catholic in N. Ireland during the time of the Troubles, don't @ me)

Users who are viewing this thread