Shi ni Modori, Subete wo Sukuu Tame ni Saikyou he to Itaru - Vol. 3 Ch. 27.1

Aggregator gang
@Athedite, that was not plot armor. just an examinator being impressed by the examinee's abilities, thus deciding to take it just a little further. happens irl too, always funny to hear stories about people who got several questions that they couldn't answer on an oral exam, making them that nok they may have failed, and then they get a perfect A.

because testing someone's limits is fun. and finding their growth potential in a way that hurts for them is even more fun, just as watching them grow after the test is too.

@comeonnow0 But your premise for why she should be failed is that she lacks discipline and could be a liability in a team because she doesn't know how to work with them. Telling her to work on that on her own and come back when she thinks she can do better doesn't help that as much as integrating her into a team, that has disciplined training. The things she lacks would be best improved by her joining others, rather than being turned away.

Also, if it isn't like she is throwing a temper tantrum, then that isn't me not "understanding" the issue, it is you using an exceptionally poor analogy. The only other part of it is that kids don't comprehend that it wasn't the tantrum that got them the reward, because they have much more basic thought processes, compared to older individuals. Since she is not a toddler, and is instead 18 years old, telling her that she passed, but has some glaring issues she needs to work on (and further, demonstrating that so she can easily see it), and telling her that she can't just rely on talent if she wants to be part of the knights, is something that she can understand, without thinking that she is rewarded for bad behavior. As such, it definitely fits to my basketball example.

Also, the fact that she defends Jere to Erik, while you dismiss it as "she was in the wrong" means that you admit that she is able to see her shortcomings and acknowledge them (you even say "explaining what happened" which obviously requires cognitive recognition of what happened), which utterly defeats your main point that letting her join the knights means she won't realize that she needs to improve. I assumed when I pointed her admitting fault out that you would be able to make the basic connection that if she is able to see where she was wrong, it means that she is capable of learning from her shortcomings (and is doing so), even while also being allowed to join a group that she is talented enough to join (by far).

You also mention that you are "sure" there is a "regular infantry and army" for the country, but there is no proof of that, so far. (I looked back, and there is no mention of him being part of this lesser faction or anything like it, either.) In many of these stories, the knights are the army. Here Jere says, "The knights are responsible for the safety of Begonia's people" which indicates they are the normal soldiers. They also certainly don't stop training after becoming knights. Yes, there is normally training required to join the knights (2 years, but exceptions can be made for talent, which she certainly has, since her magic power and control was better than Felix's), but even after joining the knights, they would train together to make sure they can work as a unit. Again, what she lacks is how to work with the unit, so telling her to stay away from the unit until she knows how to work with the unit is counterproductive, and thus not a legitimate reason for failing her.

Dex-chan lover
@throwaway4ccount "Telling her to work on that on her own" I never said that she had to work on her own. She could possibly enroll in the regular army? I'm sure they have a regular boot camp or something similar that would instill this foundational knowledge. She could maybe enroll in a military academy. I don't know if that's a possibility, but it's reasonable. In fact, having to work together with strangers and put your trust in people you don't know could be better than always having Erik at her side. Like, in her current situation, imagine Erik gets attacked. She could rush off to defend him and leave the rest of her unit vulnerable, even if Erik isn't in any serious danger and her staying back is the better choice.

The overarching thing is that you think joining the [magic] knights is the only way to teach her these skills. That doesn't make sense.

I said it is like her throwing a temper tantrum IN A SPECIFIC SENSE. Her lacking discipline is NOT like a misbehaving child being rewarded. Her being accepted into the knights IS like a misbehaving child being rewarded. There are two different issues, and you're not seeing that they are different.

You're saying she's not a toddler? Yes, obviously. The question is whether she is BEHAVING like a toddler. Again, why the hell didn't she just tell Erik she wants to join the knights? She didn't think things through. Because of her lack of thinking, someone almost got injured. That is immaturity. That is behaving like a toddler.

"which utterly defeats your main point" Oh my gosh. I'm trying to be civil here, but what the hell? Have you never seen people in real life? Have you never talked to people in real life? Do you not understand how messed up your thinking is? Oh, she recognized that she was bad in one specific area that almost resulted in someone getting seriously injured or killed. That MUST mean that she can recognize her shortcomings EVERYWHERE ELSE! Like, what the hell? That's actually the logic that you are using right now. Yes, she recognized her fault in one specific area. That DOES NOT mean that she would necessarily change and be better in other areas. By your logic, since Felix's attack was two weeks ago and she saw her shortcomings back then, she should obviously already have fixed her shortcomings in combat. We see that is explicitly not the case.

I will concede if I am ultimately wrong on the regular infantry and army issue. I had said that I might be wrong when I first mentioned it, but it seems reasonable enough. Look at what...James...says in the same chapter, 23. He talks about Erik being a commoner. That stands in contrast to knights. You say that in many of these stories, the knights are the army. I can also say that in many of these stories, the knights are the more prestigious soldiers while the lower ranks are the commoners. Again, I am admitting that this is speculation, and I could be wrong, but it's not unrealistic.

Dex-chan lover
This is now the story of Magical Girl Tina and her Adventures at Wizard School.

But... magic knights kill more people than normal knights, if given the role. Good luck girl.

@comeonnow0 Again, we have not seen any of these other groups that she could "potentially join". Regardless of that, though, if you want her to be able to work well with the knights/magic knights, then having her join that group is the best option. When Felix attacked, we did see her work well with Erik, who she had trained with, because they know how to work together because of their training together. If the issue is that she needs to be able to work well with others, working with those others is the best solution. I don't understand how that is such a hard concept to grasp, unless you intentionally don't want to do so. It may not be the "only" way to learn, but it is the BEST way to learn, is my point, and it does make sense.

"IN A SPECIFIC SENSE" meaning that it is really a terrible analogy, and you use that as a defense to ignore issues raised with it, while still continuing to use it. Her being accepted is not like a child being rewarded, because the ENTIRE REASON they say not to do that is because children are too young to understand the nuances of trying to reward one thing while criticizing something else. That isn't the case here. She has specifically acknowledged that Jere was trying to teach her, even before he stated all of what he was trying to teach her. She already realized that she had things to work on, and was open to instruction on those things.

It is not that she can immediately understand all of her shortcomings, like you have tried to make it look like I am saying (because it better suits your argument). It is the fact that she is open to learning from others about her shortcomings, and that she is admitting she has them. Since your entire argument is "if you do this she doesn't learn anything" showing from that manga that she is learning, and is open to continuing to learn, does defeat your "ENTIRE POINT" and that fact that you admit that she acknowledged that Jere was justified, because he was teaching her a lesson, does mean you acknowledge something that proves your point wrong.

You accuse me of thinking she can see all of her shortcomings, now, and mock me for it, but that actually further defeats YOUR ARGUMENT, not mine. My point is not that she can see all of them, but only that she can acknowledge them when others point them out to her. My argument is that joining a highly disciplined group will help her to be more aware of her various shortcomings and work on them, because others will be evaluating her and making her aware of them. Yours is that she needs to figure her shortcomings out and fix them before joining. You are the one expecting her to be able to see all of her shortcomings on her own, not me. You've even shifted the goalposts from your first comment where you said it lets her "reflect and improve" which indicates self-introspection rather than saying "join a lower level of military first".

Also, if you want to talk about lack of communication being a disqualifier, then you should be upset about Erik getting to join more than her. He knew about the attack for 16 years. It is clear that his parents and Tina trust him, and would have listened to him if he had told them. His lack of communication almost got the entire town killed. He was about to die outside of the walls, when his dad came to help him, telling him to trust him. His dad had to leave his greatsword behind, because of Erik's failure to communicate. If Erik had died, the rest of the town would have then been destroyed. Both he and his dad would have died, if Tina hadn't come when she did, and if she hadn't been trained in magic despite Erik's objections. If both he and his dad had died, then Felix would have massacred the rest of the town. If he had communicated more with those around him, they could have trained more people in the town on how to use magic and he could have taught his dad more swordsmanship, that could have been taught to others, too.

If anybody has been rewarded for childish behavior without learning a lesson, it would be Erik, not the person who has specifically admitted that it would have been better if she had communicated, and defended the person teaching her that lesson, saying that they were justified in doing so. I don't know what you think it takes for her to "prove" she has "learned her lesson" more than that. If anybody's shortcomings actually "almost resulted in someone getting seriously injured or killed" it was Erik. Tell me, who "almost" got "seriously injured or killed" by her actions just now? If you mean Jere, for teaching her, that's an insane stretch, but who else? I can give you the list of a bunch of townspeople, demons, and citizens of Begonia that almost died due to Erik's lack of communication.

Also, it seems to come down to you continuing to think that "joining the magic knights" means "immediately going on missions without training together with the other magic knights" rather than "training together with the other magic knights to go on missions together" which is almost always what happens in every situation, because it is stupid to send even talented people on military missions before integrating them with their fellow military members. You also didn't say you "might be wrong" when you raised it. The closest you got was "I'm pretty sure" in the middle of a paragraph treating it as established fact with no doubts posted in the other statements about them being "not entry-level", "more trained", and "advanced units". You base a lot on those assumptions.

Dex-chan lover
Pausing for a moment, but I just want to say I hadn't realized how slow this story is. The demon invasion of the village started around chapter 6, and we're still just one week out from those events in chapter 27.

@throwaway4ccount
When Felix attacked, we also saw some of her shortcomings, shortcomings that she still had when James/Jere tested her. Specifically lack of foresight and thinking ahead. Yeah, no duh Tina knows how to work well with the person she has known and worked with for SIXTEEN YEARS. You're telling me that is supposed to be translatable to working with complete strangers? It's frustrating how much you're missing the point. Who do you think would have a better chance at fitting in with a new group: 1) a person who has experience working with multiple groups of different strangers, or 2) a person who has only ever worked with a specific set of people. It's not a hard concept to grasp. If Tina immediately joins the either the regular or the magic knights, then she will be in a relatively static and unchanging group. Much more static and unchanging than, for example, if she joined a guild and worked with different people there or if she joined an academy and worked with people there. Let's make this clear. Both the magic and regular knights have some kind of minimum qualification, hence the test. There's no way that they are not more static and unchanging in personnel than something open to the "commoners".

That brings me to my next point. Clearly there are multiple divisions of the army. There's the magic knights versus the regular knights. That's something absolutely proven. It is also proven that Jere/James contrasted himself, a knight, with a "commoner" such as Erik. Is it not very sensible to say that there are other divisions? Divisions for "commoners", unlike for the leader of the knights, James? Yes, this is speculation. Yes, it is still reasonable.

Your fighting against my analogy is actually stupid. In a specific sense means that it works in a specific sense! Are you ignoring that it makes sense when you read what I actually wrote? Your literal only answer is she's not a child, she's not young, she does understand. You're literally putting the cart before the horse. You're assuming that she has enough maturity to not be like a child. Your only actual support on this is that she acknowledged that Jere was trying to teach her. Guess what? EVEN a child would say that Jere was not the cause of the problem. EVEN a child would not willingly allow Erik to attack Jere in this situation. And again, you ignored what I said. She could've just talked to Eric! Hey, Eric, I want to join the knights too to stay with you forever! How the hell is that so hard? It happened like half an hour ago in this world! We literally just saw her immaturity and her lack of foresight.

I tried to make it look like that's what you're saying because that is the logical conclusion of what you are saying. You say she is open to learning from her shortcomings, and you support this by saying she shows willingness to listen to what Jere is saying. Guess what? Immediately after the fight against Felix, Tina starts talking about how unprepared she was. This was literally a life-or-death situation, and she acknowledges that she wasn't prepared enough to fully support Erik in the fight. Erik does NOT say she is wrong and that she was prepared already. The only thing he says is that the responsibility of killing Felix is on him. Hmm... Preparedness? What was it that Jere gave a lecture to Tina on? Real battles? Life or death situations? This stuff literally happened last week! This shows that she hasn't really learned anything despite such a clear opportunity.

She acknowledges her shortcomings when they're shown to her face. That does not mean that she has actually learned anything from it. There's a very clear difference. Yeah, no shifting goalposts here. Are you kidding me? There are multiple ways for her to fix her shortcomings before joining the knights. One EXAMPLE is joining a lower level of military. Another EXAMPLE? I mentioned maybe an adventurer's guild if that kind of thing exists. These are all various examples of opportunities for her to fix what's wrong and not have the message ruined. Let's look at what she actually says. "BUT I WANT TO STAY WITH ERIK FOREVER!" What kind of motivation is that for joining the knights, whose goal is to protect the citizens of the kingdom? Don't you think that letting her be with Erik immediately, right now, would just further this attitude? We have zero evidence that she cares at all about the goals of the knights and protecting the citizens. Maybe she does, but when she's given the opportunity to say anything, she says Erik! Erik! Erik! This is a clear problem.

Literally all of what you wrote about Erik is irrelevant. How about this? You're completely right about Erik being bad. So what? That's just whataboutism. Maybe Erik is bad at communication as well. I didn't really think about it before, but I can see your points. So what? That's not the issue. I'm talking just about Tina. Erik being bad at communication does not in any way, shape, or form excuse Tina's shortcomings.

Okay, here's the issue. Joining the magic knights means she's going to be able to stay relatively close to Erik, both physically and emotionally. It enables her. It makes her think what she did was okay because she got what she wanted in the end. That's the problem. She has no incentive to really reflect on her mistakes because she got what she wanted. It's basic understanding of how people work.

At the end of the day, yes, you very clearly disagree with me. However, my only point is that my position is reasonable. I don't need to say that I'm obviously right and that you're obviously wrong. And no, I'm not shifting goal posts. This is a world where the author controls everything, including whether or not Tina ends up learning from her mistakes or not. This is a world where the author controls everything, yet I'm comparing it to the real world. The only thing I need to do is say that if you compare it to the real world, what I said makes sense. It's like a misbehaving child being rewarded because it incentivizes her to continue her behavior. It's likely that there are other ranks of soldiers because that would make sense in this type of world. Etc. Etc. Am I being unreasonable? Are you honestly going to say that you cannot see any reason in what I'm saying? If so, I would just point to how at least a decent amount of people agreed with me.

@comeonnow0 I will certainly agree with you that the pace was slower than remembered for the most recent chapters. It got to the fight with Felix rather quickly, but has not moved very far in a very long time. When I was going back, earlier, I noticed the same thing.

I've also come to the conclusion that what this is really about is that you don't like Tina. You don't want her to continue in the story. You know that if she joins the Knights or Magic Knights, that she will continue in the story. The fact that you didn't notice the problems with Eric, even though they are much worse than the problems with Tina, proves this. That's why it is relevant to bring him up, because you not noticing it shows that it isn't really about Tina's qualifications or disqualifications, but about the fact you don't like her and don't want to continue. If were about merits, she has more merits for joining the Magic Knights than Erik does for joining the Knights.

It is ironic that you accuse me of missing the point by so much that it is frustrating, while you continue to ignore the actual points, and misrepresent them. To break this down, Tina hasn't been training with Erik for 16 years (which, since you appear to have just gone back to check things, you should know, which means you intentionally misrepresented it, which is the sign of a poor argument). Erik is 16 years old, and she didn't start training with him until he was in the woods, years later, and she saw him using magic. It also didn't take her until now to coordinate well with him, because we saw that years ago with the Red Bear incident (again, something you should have been aware of), so at most it took her a couple years to be able to coordinate well with somebody she practiced with, and that during a time when she was less mature and congitively developed.

So, what is the point? The point is that, if we want her to work well with others, practicing with them is much better than not practicing with them. When she practices with others, even in primarily non-combat practice (which was certainly the case before the Red Bears) she is then able to do well in actual combat (as evidenced with the Red Bears and Felix). Since one of your objections is that her impulsiveness could make her a liability to the team, learning to work with them is the best way to overcome that. That isn't me missing the point, that is you not wanting to admit it.

Also, your argument about the Magical Knights being a more static group only boosts my argument, not yours. If they don't change much, then her integrating with them sooner means getting up to peak synchronization levels faster. Why have her train with multiple other groups, to make her better at adapting to a lot of groups, before joining a specific group that you want her to work well with, instead of just having her learn how to work well with that group in the first place. That would be like if when Tom Brady joined the Buccaneers, they decided to have him train some with the Miami Hurricanes, then some with the UCF Knights, because he'd only worked with the Patriots so long, and that would get him used to working with a couple other teams, and then have him start practicing with the Buccaneers after that. My point is, based on her magical capabilities (better than Felix, the Demon King), they eventually will want her in the Magic Knights, so it is better to get her learning to work with them sooner, than later, to get her at peak ability.

We have seen that the Knights have a Magic Division for those exceptionally talented in Magic. That in no way means there are other branches of military. In fact, it would more easily be interpreted as the fact that "Knights" is the default military term, and they have Magic Knights for military that use Magic, as well as the regular Knights for those that do more physical combat. You continue to invent other groups that haven't been named in the story to justify it. Also, you are misrepresenting the "commoner" line to mean something completely different. It is not "proven" that Jere contrasted himself as a Knight with Erik as a commoner. Erik was asking about the diplomatic fallout from his actions, and Jere asked why a commoner cared about the impact between two kingdoms. Erik pointed out that it could affect the lives of those around him. It wasn't about knights or not at that point. It is after that that Jere asks about joining the Knights. Jere's subordinates didn't question why a "commoner" would be allowed into the Knights, either, but they were surprised Erik wouldn't need more training, even though he was only 16 years old. As such, no, it isn't reasonable to make up a "division for commoners" from a misrepresentation of what Jere said.

Your analogy is what is stupid, not me fighting it. You say it "works in a specific sense" doesn't mean it actually works in that sense. I was not conceding it worked "in a specific sense" but pointing out you were trying to justify that because it doesn't really work at all. Your analogy has two parts to it: The temper tantrum, and the lack of cognitive processing capability. You have admitted that she didn't throw a temper tantrum, so that takes out the temper tantrum part of your analogy. What is left? The child not understanding that they weren't being rewarded for the temper tantrum. But, the reason for that, as I pointed out, is that a child is only able to process things in a simplified manner, and can't see the difference between the two. We have both acknowledged that, when a fault of hers was pointed out, that she recognized that. As such, the only part of your analogy that was left "a lack of understanding" is also gone. As such, the only "specific sense" it "works" in is if you are disregarding all parts of the analogy. If you have to throw out all the parts of it, then it makes sense to fight using it in the first place, especially since you took issue with my much more applicable analogies based on evidence that isn't substantiated (namely because you think there might be other military divisions that haven't been mentioned).

She is not fully mature, yet? So what? A kid would almost certainly not say that somebody currently pointing a sword at them, after scaring them, was doing the right thing. I can't imagine why you would even think anybody else would agree that they would. Have you never interacted with actual children, and only know things from reading about them? She has also shown herself to be a studious learner, based on being taught magic by Erik, and how she was able, in the middle of a battle, to recognize that Erik had been preparing her a lot for actual combat without her knowing why she was being taught things at the time. Evidence of advance cognitive processing, which is what you accuse her of not showing ability to do, and what I say she can do. Your analogy is stupid.

That isn't at all the logical conclusion. The logical conclusion, as I pointed out, was that she shows willingness to overcome shortcomings when presented with them. It helps to have outsiders involved in that, because introspection only goes so far when dealing with blind spots. Her preparedness discussed with Erik was being prepared to take a human-looking life or not, which can be a difficult thing to brace for if a person has a conscience. The reason she wasn't fully prepared for that? Because Erik, the person who knew these things were coming, intentionally hid that fact from her, making it hard for her to prepare for an unexpected situation. You probably also wouldn't do very well in that. (I certainly hope you couldn't adjust to killing a person that quickly, at least.) Also, not fixing a big issue in one week means she can't learn? You continue to misrepresent things, and I can only assume you do so intentionally because you need the strawmen. She may be trying to work on it, but it is doubtful she has been given situations that would simulate that. What would? Training with other soldiers in mock combat.

It should also be pointed out that he said he was testing her ability to determine if she could join (and that is what he did, and she passed, based on her ability, which is what was measured), and not on her readiness to kill people. So she treated it that way, and quickly incapacitated them (showing decent strategy), and then relaxed thinking the test was over, when he surprised her. He points out he is teaching her an extra lesson, and she then accepts that lesson. Not expecting deceit from a tester doesn't mean she wouldn't have been more on guard against an enemy in actual combat. Again, this is more a mature of military training than anything else, and she can get the best military training with the Magic Knights.

Yes, shifting of goalposts. You first stated she could do it by "reflecting" and so I responded about the difficulty of doing it by herself, then you say you never said she had to do it by herself. "Reflecting" most clearly means evaluating herself, and trying to think through things on her own to do it. When I pointed out it wasn't feasible, suddenly you shifted the goalposts by invented another military group, and now you've invented an Adventurers Guild. Neither of those have shown up in the story, so relying on things that aren't in the story to "prove" your point is ridiculous. They may be in the story, but to base an argument on things showing up that haven't existed so far can only be described as faulty logic.

I addressed some of the relevance of Erik before, but here is the big relevance. One of your big sticking points is that she could have just talked to Erik, and it would have solved a lot of this. But Erik has withheld so much from her (and his family), and has shown a hesitance to talk about major things with her up to this point. As such, her hesitance to talk to him is significantly tied to his poor communication with those around him. If he was more open with her and others, it not only would have made it an easier defense of the town and significantly reduced the risk of loss of lives, but it also would have made her more likely to communicate with him about this. Erik even states to Jere that it is because of Erik's reaction that she was hesitant to talk to him. Remember, he at first tried to stop her from using magic, even though her using magic saved his life. So her shortcomings tie into his failures.

I think when you say this issue is that it allows her to "stay relatively close to Erik" that is really what it boils down to, in the end. As I said, you don't like her and don't want her in the story, so you need her separated from Erik. Thus the poor analogies and shifting goalposts. Being near somebody that you know, when dealing with unfamiliar circumstances, can be a comfort. That doesn't mean that it makes her think everything is okay. The fact is, she is being put in the "Magic Knights" rather than the "Knights" which sounds like she will be partially separated from Erik. You talked about a "compromise" in your first post, and this is a compromise that allows her to be somewhat close to him, but also separated, while training her to be of most benefit to the kingdom.

My original point was that there were distinct differences between rewarding a tantrum-throwing toddler and allowing an obviously talented person to be accepted into a group that could most make use of her abilities, and best help her learn how to be more disciplined, and as such, Jere's response was the more reasonable response in the situation, especially based on the fact that he told her what he would evaluate to determine whether she joined or not, and then followed through on doing exactly that. It isn't like a misbehaving child, because she is old enough to understand what is being rewarded (her talent) and what is being criticized (her shortcomings). I also do agree that her communicating more would have helped. That Jere's criticism of her was needed. I find that part entirely reasonable (and have not ever said that wasn't). I just think she has shown the cognitive ability to process that, without needing to be failed to try to hammer it in even harder.

Ultimately, why I don't find your original take to be "reasonable" is that he told her what would be evaluated for her to join, and she passed that part easily, so he should let her join. It is unreasonable to change the goalposts after tell somebody what to aim for to pass. If, however, they immediately send her into combat without having her train with her new squadmates to improve, that would be insanely unreasonable. But it is perfectly reasonable to expect her to train with them before any combat missions, and to expect that if they are the most talented soldiers, that training with them would be what would equip her the most. If they want her to be a Magic Knight because of her ability, getting her trained with and by those people as soon as possible (and having them show her all of her shortcomings, and training those out of her, however strict they need to be to do that) seems the most reasonable action to take, based on groups that have actually been stated to exist in the manga.

As for how many stated whether or not they "agreed" with you (and mentioned your name), 3 did (one only said "agreed" which might mean agreeing with the whole post, or just the part about her needing to communicate more, one specifically stated then saw Tina as an annoying character, preferring the princess, so that would fall into the category of "don't want a character I don't like around, so I agree with any reason to get rid of her", and one addressed whether she would prioritize the MC too much in a life threatening scenario, which is probably a very similar concern), and two stated they disagreed (one being me, and both of us for similar reasons). That's not a lot one way or the other. I would also point out that I think we can both agree that while there can be many reasonable positions, that manga forums are also places with many unreasonable positions stated (even some with plenty of support), so that in itself doesn't prove reasonableness.

Dex-chan lover
@throwaway4ccount

"I've also come to the conclusion that what this is really about is that you don't like Tina." Major assumption. I honestly don't really care either way. She's a character who brings contrast to the all-knowing Erik. She's how a "normal" person would react in this situation. I think it's interesting to have her be in the story because otherwise, it would just be Erik alone, but I don't really care much beyond that. Everything I wrote is just what I honestly thought about the situation and how I think real life people would act and react in these situations.

Your accusations of me not liking Tina is just wrong. I don't care either way. Again, my very first suggestion was that it would've been nice if she were failed now and given the chance to apply again. That specifically contemplates her returning. I just think that it makes sense to fail her because of literally all the reasons that Jere said.

You accuse me of not noticing the problems with Erik? Are you kidding me? You say it's ironic of me (I'll get to that in a bit), but it's ironic that you're now moving the goalposts. All of your criticisms of Erik have merit. It's still literally whataboutism. No, it is not relevant. Me criticizing Tina and saying she's not ready for knighthood can exist ALONGSIDE your criticisms of Erik.

Yes, correct, she has only been training for 13 years. Are you really suggesting that for the purposes of this story, that makes a substantial difference in my argument? It's so different to say 13 versus 16 years, and that makes my argument so wrong. Ridiculous. And look at what I actually said. She has "has known and worked with" Erik. Did I say training? Very clearly she was still following Erik around even before she saw him training in the woods. At the age of 3, she was ALREADY well-acquainted with him and following him on his jog. You accuse me of poor argument when you're literally misrepresenting what I actually said. And again, the specific length isn't even that relevant to my point.

Yes, even in the fight with Felix, literally EVERYONE talks about how she isn't well-coordinated with Erik. Felix talks about it. She doesn't deny it. We see the results of it. She isn't that well-coordinated with Erik, and that held her back from using her full magic during the fight. They literally talk about it during and after the battle. You accuse me of making poor arguments when you miss this?

"if we want her to work well with others" We don't just want her to work well with SPECIFIC others. We want her to work well with MULTIPLE, VARIOUS others. Others in various units and teams in different military formations as needed on the battlefield. She can't just be with the same exact people every single time. That IS you missing the point. If all we want is for her to work well with a team, just stick her with Erik and call the two a team and never let them be separated. Does that sound like good military tactic? Does that sound like it would work in the battlefield?

"If they don't change much, then her integrating with them sooner means getting up to peak synchronization levels faster." Refer to my point above. She needs to be able to work with MULTIPLE, VARIOUS people. And again, even after sixteen years of KNOWING Eric, she still wasn't able to synchronize well with Eric in their battle with Felix. You say it's better for her to start integrating with a single, static unit in the magic knights? Again, it's problematic because it doesn't teach her realistic military understanding, where you might get separated from your unit and have to work with unfamiliar people.

"That in no way means there are other branches of military. " Pure speculation. Just as much speculation as me saying that there are other branches. You have to admit that your argument is equally as speculative as my own, if not more so for the other reasons that I mentioned (the commoners issue). In fact, look at chapter 26. Jere specifically says "Although, a magic user joining the knights". That would be a HIGHLY strange way of phrasing that if the magic knights are just a unit within the knights.

As far as the division between knights and commoners, that's a massively stretched way of reading that to suit what you want. Jere literally knows about the diplomatic situation between nations. He is the leader of the knights. He, as leader of the knights, knows. He contrasts himself, who knows, with Erik. Your reading is not reading. Your reading is just ignoring the clear context.

Regarding the temper tantrum point, just because you don't understand it doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense. That's your failing, not mine. I'm just going to point to how at least one other person, zuflis11, understood the issues. Are you being stupid on purpose? This is like if I said "life is like a race", and then you come in whining that life isn't like a race because you're not running with your feet all the time, because you're not on a pre-designated racetrack all the time, because you don't have to workout and stretch beforehand. Yes, you really are missing the point. Allowing Tina to join the knights is like rewarding a misbehaving child because it incentivizes bad behavior. Both incentivize bad behavior. Why is this so hard for you to understand? It's because you're just trying to run away and deny basic things to make yourself look better.

"A kid would almost certainly not say that" I'm sorry, but this is you being just ignorant. A child is able to recognize when something is their fault and when they should accept responsibility to prevent further damage. Are you actually purposefully being ridiculous? It looks like you've never interacted with children and you're trying to cover your own ass. If a child saw that their lie was causing a LOT of pain and suffering for others and that they could EASILY solve it by telling the truth, do you honestly think that the child would not just explain it? Yes, some children will continue to lie. However, you're literally ignoring the real life. Saying I've never interacted with children? Pot, kettle, black.

No, wrong on the logical conclusion. You are taking what you have seen and trying to apply it EVERYWHERE, even though that makes no sense. The logical conclusion is that Tina will accept responsibility when her shortcomings are thrown into her face after things go badly. If we follow your logic, then because I'm good at drawing, that means I must be good at archery because both involve fine movements of the hands. You are going FAR beyond what we actually see. You are just trying to make Tina look as great as possible when, in reality, she's a decently realistic human character, with her own strengths and weaknesses. One of those weaknesses is that she does not think things through. We literally see that.

"Not expecting deceit from a tester doesn't mean she wouldn't have been more on guard against an enemy in actual combat." I'm just going to refer to Jere's own words. You are actually self-contradictory here. Jere says she's unprepared for various reasons. Tina then accepts that accusation. Your whole point is that she's learning from her shortcomings. Then you come in and say that Jere's points are bad. These are points that you say Tina is accepting. So is she super willing to learn bad lessons? Is that your conclusion?

"Yes, shifting of goalposts. You first stated" Wrong. Read what I ACTUALLY first stated. I first stated that I wish she had been failed and then given the opportunity to apply again after learning. That's it! I am giving EXAMPLES of how to do that. That does not change what I first stated. This is you misrepresenting what I said to justify your own points. Me providing feasible examples is NOT shifting goalposts. It's providing various examples! Yes, you are pointing out that those examples may lack foundation, but that is not shifting goalposts. Do you even know what that term means? Because you clearly aren't using it correctly.

"As such, her hesitance to talk to him is significantly tied to his poor communication with those around him." Hold up. This is you literally pulling things out of your ass. NOWHERE does it say that this is her motivation. Please, point it out to me that her reluctance to tell Erik she wanted to join the knights was because he's always hiding things from her. Please. Go ahead. Right now.

"As I said, you don't like her" And again, inventing things to suit your purpose. I'm making legitimate points that are literally stated in the text themselves. I'm agreeing with the points of the characters. Jere has legitimate criticisms of Tina. Tina literally accepts those criticisms. That's all that I'm doing. I'm pointing out that what they said and talked about makes sense. Then you come in saying herp derp, you must hate Tina. You're literally making things up.

I'm responding to your second-to-last paragraph now. "I only want to observe how she moves". "As I have said before, my intention is to observe your movement" "When I have seen enough, then regardless of whether the fight is over or not our trial will end". It's entirely up to him. She doesn't need to defeat the knights. We could imagine a world where she lost to the knights but demonstrated enough proficiency to still pass. We can therefore still imagine the opposite, where she was able to beat the knights but did not pass for a different reason. He NEVER said that if she defeated the knights, that's an automatic pass (not before the test). He made observations about why even though she defeated the knights, she had shortcomings. That's literally the situation. To justify your point, you have to refuse the possibility of her being skilled yet still losing to the knights and being denied knighthood despite still being skilled. Is that what you expected the test to be? This black and white test even though it was never said to be black and white?

Fine, not a lot of people agreeing or disagreeing. It still shows at least some amount of reasonability. Reasonability is literally just seeing reason in another person's position. Yes, it's not a lot of people, but it still is some amount of evidence of reasonability.

---

I'm just going to emphasize this. You actually made up parts to justify what you want. The biggest examples are claiming I hate Tina and also saying that Tina didn't talk to Erik because Erik has been hiding things about himself. Neither of those assumptions are justified.

@comeonnow0 I expected you to say you didn't really care about her. I guess I should have directly predicted that last time. Of course you wouldn't admit to wanting to get rid of her, since that would hurt your argument, but since one of the people you are proud to have agreeing with you does so because they prefer the MC with the princess, and thus don't want Tina around, there is more evidence of you disliking Tina than of regular soldiers. Having somebody say she can have the "chance to apply again" is different than her "passing and coming back into the story" and even then, delaying her return allows for more development with Irene before she comes back, thus allowing her to be more sidelined. It also allows Eric to be deployed when she first joins. It keeps her farther from the story. Also, how does failing her help her overcome the issues that Jere noted (without adding in entire groups of people that haven't been mentioned in the manga)? I've shown how accepting her can help her overcome the issues without the need of new groups.

Yes, I do accuse you of that, especially since you stated: "I didn't really think about it before, but I can see your points." I'm not moving the goalposts. I've dealt with your statements each time, and always come back to the fact that the child analogy is deeply flawed. I'm just also pointing out that only taking issue with her, and not even noticing the issue with him, indicates a focus on finding her shortcomings, specifically, not noticing shortcomings and calling them out fairly. It isn't whataboutism, at all. I showed how they were connected.

No, I even addressed the fact that it was less than 13 years, too, but you ignored that part. I did see what you said: "has known and worked with" for 16 years, means worked with for 16 years, which she hasn't done. She wasn't working with him as a child. She has known him for 16 years, but the word "and" means both would have to be true, especially since leaving off the first part, it ends with "worked with him for 16 years" meaning that is the part that definitely has to be true and is the part that isn't true. She has known him for 16 years, and worked with (a.k.a. trained) for 13 years. I'm not misrepresenting what you said, because your statement was wrong, and I pointed that out. If you wrote it wrong, that's not my fault, so you shouldn't blame me for using the real meaning of that sentence. You say the specific time period isn't relevant to your post? So if the time doesn't matter, your response would be "she learned to work well with Erik because she trained with him" as a counterpoint(?) to me saying that if we want her to work well with people she should join them so she can train with them. Obviously the length of time matters, or you wouldn't have said it. Again, I also pointed out that when they were still quite young, she already worked well with him to help Dyan kill 2 Red Bears (one of which she killed on her own). Since Dyan is the strongest hunter in the town, and even he would struggle with a Red Bear, that is quite a feat for her, and a testament to their teamwork.

In the fight with Felix "EVERYONE" talks about her not working well with Erik? Really? First, there are 3 people there. Second, ONLY Felix says that, whereas Erik says "This is the power of friendship" as they win. Third, Felix's comment is after Erik injures, but doesn't kill him on the first strike of the coordinated effort. Fourth, Erik reminisces that they had not succeeded the first time they tried because it was a precise technique that requires great control. Fifth, she is hesitant to try again because of the first failure, which shows this is only the second time they tried, and they succeeded well enough to kill Felix through their coordination. Sixth, Felix states that if she messed up her control, Erik would die, and Erik doesn't die, showing that she kept it under control. Seventh, Felix is mainly criticizing her for not being prepared to kill another person, which is what he means by not being able to fully unleash her power, not her lack of coordination, which is clear as day from his earlier comment ("Both her magic quality and quantity are above mine... But! It's useless!! Your magic is nothing! Those who have never killed anyone like you can never kill me!!). It is obvious from this that, if she were willing to kill, she wouldn't need to coordinate with Erik, because she could just use her magic to overpower him alone. To treat his statement of her not using her magic's full power meaning she didn't work well with Erik is to miss this clear context. He sees them having to work together as a sign of individual weakness by both, because relying on a partner only slows you down. Eighth, Felix, after losing, laments not having friends that could work together with him ("I'm not lucky enough to have friends"), showing that the ONLY PERSON to say they didn't work well together conceded that they worked well together at the end ("If that girl hadn't shown up, I'd have won"). So, I don't know why you thought bringing that up would help your argument about her not being able to adjust quickly, since she succeeded splendidly on her second time attempting a precise technique. Suggesting that I'm the one that missed something in reading that is another example of irony, as I've shown just some of the vast amount you've missed in that encounter.

We don't want her to work with "specific" others? Your points before were that the Magic Knights were the elite of the elite, thus the highest level, and that they were a static group. So now we want her to join the elite group to... *checks notes* not work with the elite group, but with inferior individuals instead? Do you even know what points you are or are not arguing, at this point? If she would be expected to work with multiple groups or formations among or separate from the Magic Knights, then their training should reflect that, and thus she wouldn't only be working with a static group, which allows her to then work with multiple groups which you say she should do. If they only train her to work in one specific group, then that would show the expectation is for her to only work with that specific group, and thus she doesn't need to be as prepared for working with multiple groups. You are interpreting things in the most convoluted way possible, because any other interpretation would show you to be wrong. This isn't about me "missing the point" this is about you not having an actual point. You then give the scenario of her only working with Erik, and ask if it sounds like "good military tactic". So I'll ask you, does having an "elite, static group" not train with other groups, but then expecting them to work with other groups sound like a good military tactic to you? Because that is basically what you have said will happen, if you say her training as part of the "Magic Knights" would leave her unprepared to work with other groups.

Again, see my points above, proving that she did synchronize well with Erik, and that he boasted about it to Felix as he killed him. I said it was better for her to integrate with the "Magic Knights" as a whole, not a "single, static unit in the Magic Knights". You said both the Knights and Magic Knights would be more static groups, making it sound as if you meant the whole group. If there are smaller squads (which is certainly a reasonable assumption for both of us to make as it is how almost every military operates, and seems you are implying here) I would expect her to train more in her specific squad, as the ones she would be working most closely with, as well as with other Magic Knight squads, and the Regular Knight squads, under the expectation that they would sometimes need to work together in group missions. This is also a reasonable assumption, as it is also how almost every military operates. If the smaller squads assumption is reasonable, then this has to be the default assumption, as well, because they are tied together. The fact that, in order to prove your point, you have to expect her to only train with one group if she joins the Magic Knights, while also being expected to work with multiple groups. What "realistic military understanding" do you see that would point to training the Magic Knights in a way that doesn't equip them to work the way you expect them to work? You are being intentionally obtuse, because you know you don't have a leg to stand on.

Actually, no, it isn't "pure speculation" but a statement of fact. If I had said: "That means in no way are there other branches of military" that would be speculation. But the way I said it is a fact. There is nothing there that means there ARE other branches of military. There might be, but not provable so far. So, no, it isn't equally speculative. The fact that Jere seems to have the authority to let people join either the Knights or Magic Knights seems to show a link between the two. If "Knights" can be the overarching term for "Magic Knights" and "Physical Knights", or the term for normal foot soldiers, it could be that they were thinking in terms of foot soldiers. Since he was giving her a combat test, they were thinking in terms of showing strength, and thus might not have been ready to switch to thinking in the broader sense. Again, both having "Knights" in the name and Jere being able to evaluate people for both roles, shows a link between them.

You suggest that I am the one that has massively stretched the reading of the "commoners" phrase? Your reply here seems to indicate another shifting of goalposts. You've been talking about a "contrast" between "Knights" and "commoners" to support another branch of military that is "open to commoners" to defend Knights being elite. But, one, clearly the Knights are open to commoners, as Jere offers him a position, and the only objection the other Knights even suggest is that Erik doesn't have to train, first. You've made it sound like you thought Knights were primarily populated by the aristocracy, and that the regular army was for "commoners".

To get back to who is stretching their interpretation, though. Erik asks about the relationship between the kingdoms multiple times. At first Jere responds that Erik didn't commit a crime, thinking he was worried about legal repercussions for killing an enemy king. But Erik persists in asking specifically about the relationship between the two kingdoms. This is what he wants to know, and wants Jere to tell him. So when I say Erik wants to know that, it is because Erik asks it twice. Jere responds to this with: "You are only a commoner, why do you care so much?" Which is literally what I said he did. Again, my interpretation is directly based on the text of the manga. The obvious connection is that commoners very rarely have to concern themselves in any way with diplomatic relations between countries. So it isn't necessary to be a contrast between Knights and commoners. With Jere, he is not just "a knight" but the leader, and thus should be aware of any potentially military movements and if a war might break out. So it is about somebody who has access to diplomatic knowledge (primarily tied to nobility and royalty and leaders of armies) and a "commoner" (or even a generic Knight that only needs to go where he is told). When Jere hears it is because Erik wants to protect the people he cares about, he offers to let him join the Knights, who he had previous stated are supposed to protect the people of Begonia. The fact that Jere doesn't hesitate to extend an invitation to the Knights to Erik again throws cold water on your idea of a different military group from "commoners" since if a "commoner" wants to "protect the people of Begonia" he is recruited into the "Knights". Once again, my interpretation is the more logical one, but you can't accept it because it reduces the odds of there being some other military wing.

You saying it "does make sense" doesn't mean it actually does. The fact that, to try to say it does make sense, you need to say "from a specific sense" is already admitting that in a broad sense, it doesn't work. As such, you already concede it to be a poor analogy, but want to say that it has a sliver of value. But that is you just not being able to admit it fails completely. The reason it fails is that Jere letting her pass doesn't automatically incentivize bad behavior. She is not rewarded for any bad behavior, but for actual merit. Your argument with the toddler is that, if you reward them for good behavior, after they have behaved badly, they will interpret it as rewarding bad behavior. This is predicated on the child NOT BEING ABLE TO PROCESS what is going on. She IS old enough to process things. So if she is told that she passed based on good thing x, but that she needs to work on and overcome bad things y and z, then Jere isn't incentivizing bad behavior. This is something that anybody over 13 (without a mental handicap of some sort) should be able to process and understand. Passing her without criticizing the bad behavior or making her aware of it, would be incentivizing the bad behavior. But his practical demonstration, combined with the lecture, ensures she doesn't think her bad behavior is rewarded. If the Magic Knights lets her continue to act that way and get away with it, that would be rewarding her impulsiveness, but if they train her to correct it, then it is actually helping her to overcome a shortcoming, instead of rewarding it. You mention somebody in chat saying something about that, but Red225 also recognized that your analogy didn't work, so your attempt to leverage chat in your favor failed again. I guess you needed to try to do that because the actual merit wasn't good enough.

You are really trying to defend the stance that a child would say somebody that just scared them and pointed a sword at them was doing the right thing? Now I know you have no ethics when it comes to trying to avoid admitting you are wrong. No child would do that. Kids even tell their parents "I hate you" on a regular basis, even when they know they are wrong, because they didn't get their way. So, I'm going to continue to assume that either you never interact with kids at all, or you are intentionally and grossly mischaracterizing the maturity of most kids in order to try to win an argument. If a child is old enough to recognize fault, then expecting them to learn from their mistakes is natural, and expecting them to recognize that even if they did something else that was good, that they are still at fault for the other instance is also expected. You can't have it both ways, even though you are trying so hard. Again, it seems like you don't even remember which points you need to defend as you flip and flop all over the place just to not say you were wrong.

I'm not applying it "everywhere" but in the context of "when show error is able to admit error and can be expected to work on it". You say thrown in her face when things go badly, so who is to say that, when training, if the training session "goes badly" that the instructors don't "throw it in her face". Also, "tell her matter-of-factly" becoming "throw it in her face" is hyperbolic by you. You analogy, based on a great misinterpretation of what I said, again misses the mark badly (maybe like your archery attempts). It would be more akin to saying that if you are good at shooting a .22, you would also be good at shooting a BB gun. Or if you were good at painting fruit, you would probably also do well at painting a tree. If she can learn from somebody directly pointing out her shortcomings in battle, then being trained by (in your view) elite soldiers should mean her shortcomings in battle get pointed out regularly, allowing her to learn from them. It isn't a hard concept unless you are "trying to run away and deny basic things to make yourself look better." I'm not trying to make her look at great as possible. She certainly has flaws, but you say "she does not think things through. We've seen that." But we've seen that she can think things through, and make connections, like the last few pages of chapter 13. We've seen she can think things through, but she isn't as experienced at combat as Erik, who lived a life of combat, Felix, who was good enough at combat that he bested the "best swordsman", and Jere, the leader of the Knights (which, according to you, are the elite of the elite). This doesn't mean she's incompetent, though. She was more competent than two Knights (that you think are elite but were easily defeated, so either she is uber-elite, or Knights aren't quite as elite as you think).

Again, you misrepresent my words. I didn't say his points are bad. Saying it is understandable why she didn't expect it from him is not the same as saying he was wrong for acting that way, or that he didn't have a reason to act that way. I had stated that I hadn't disagreed with you about Jere being correct in his assessment, and in the previous reply I stated that I agreed that "Jere's criticism of her was needed." One of his points is that she needs to be on guard, even when she doesn't see an enemy, or thinks victory is at hand, because in those moments, many (even skilled warriors and strategists) get a bit overconfident, and end up losing. She is processing some things, but needs help to continue processing others. So, no, my point is that she is learning additional points, that are also good. The point should have been clear before, but at this point you seem to be trying to find the most obtuse ways to interpret things, because, like I said, you need the strawmen because you can't handle real substance.

I already pointed out why it was a shifting of goalposts, so just saying "wrong" doesn't actually negate that. What you first said was she needed to "reflect" which refers to personal introspection. I stated that wasn't as effective as learning from others that can help you notice blind spots that you would otherwise be "blind" too (thus the name). Then you say you never said she had to do it alone, and then come up with two different groups that haven't been shown to exist, yet, in the manga as "EXAMPLES". The problem is, none of those are based on "reflection" which is what you first stated she should do, but rather on getting outside help, which you didn't reference before. Thus, a shifting goalpost, just like a I said.

First of all, I said significantly tied to, which is different than "directly caused by" which you want to interpret it as being. To point it out the link, I'm going to need to assume that you have the ability to process two different moments, and see a connection between them. I admit, this is a big stretch, because you've shown very little capability of that so far. Erik states that he believes she didn't want to say anything to him because "If I talk to him, he'll disapprove" in this chapter. Why would that be? In chapter 3, she wanted to learn magic, like what he does (and we see it is because she wants to be able to support him and protect him), but he at first says no. As such, she is likely to think he will want to turn this down like he did that time. Why did he act the way he did in chapter 3? Because he was concerned about the future, but didn't want to tell others about it. He wanted to change it, himself, but not rely on others to help change it. As such, it literally comes down to him trying to hide magic in the first place, and trying to keep her from it, which is tied to his failure to communicate with others. So her not telling him now, is likely based on him trying to stop her from learning before, which was tied to his knowledge from the future and desire to hide that knowledge from others. The other thing involved has to do with real life (since you claim to like to compare things to real life, even if you do so poorly), and that is that, when one side doesn't communicate and keeps secrets, and the other side knows it, the other side ends up keeping secrets, too. Trust is a two-way street.

Wait, the guy who made up a regular army and an adventurers guild accuses me of making things up in the story? Really? Have you no shame? The way you talk about her has been largely negative, and your plan for her would take her out of the story for a considerable length of time (at the current rate, being gone for a year could mean an absence of 400 chapters, LOL, but I seriously hope it doesn't stay this slow). Thinking you dislike her is a reasonable assumption. You say that all you are doing is saying Jere has legitimate criticisms and that Tina accepts those, but that isn't all you are doing because you then reject the conclusion. You accused me earlier (falsely) of being "self-contradictory" but you do that, here. You are basically saying, "Jere is clearly very perceptive and has made accurate judgments about Tina's abilities and shortcomings. Thus I find it entirely reasonable to reject his final judgment of passing her because he clearly doesn't understand as much about the situation as I do. If only he didn't lack perception and make poor judgments."

His conversation indicates that if she acquits herself well enough, but loses in a two-on-one scenario, he could still let her pass. Also, he states he wants to see her movements, which were extremely competent in dealing with her (known) opponents. You omitted (probably because you knew it hurt your argument) that he stated THREE TIMES that he was trying to avoid her getting hurt. This shows an expectation that she would be outmatched, and him being curious to see how she would handle herself despite that. Normally, if the threshold for passing is below "winning" then "winning" is usually a guarantee of passing, and thus while we could try to imagine a situation like that, it is implausible. On the flip side, if somebody is told that, even if they win, they can fail if they don't do well enough, if they lose it is expected that it will probably be impossible to pass. He did make observations, that is the situation, but having shortcomings doesn't mean one can't be a soldier. Those two Knights clearly had shortcomings, and at least two years of training, but still lost. To justify my point, all that is needed is to agree that if he stated he was only evaluating her movements to determine whether she could join, and he deemed her movements to be exceptional, that he should pass her (which is exactly what he did). I don't have to submit to your interpretations that you distort to try to make them more favorable to you. As for black and white, if he gave a black and white statement (about evaluating her movements) then he should adhere to that, even if he takes the opportunity to teach her a bonus lesson (that is really just extra credit for the test). However, to justify your point, you have to prove that she is able to get better combat training by being excluded from the Magic Knights, instead of joining them. If it isn't a matter of ability (and it clearly isn't) then it is a matter of discipline. If the Knights and Magic Knights are the elite soldiers you claim, then where could she better learn discipline than with them? You may invent other groups that can help her become more disciplined, but regardless of their potential existence, that doesn't show them as being better equipped than the best Magic soldiers in the land.

I'm just going to emphasize this, you made up entire branches of the military and a guild to justify what you want. Neither of those have any basis in this story, currently (and are only based on, "other stories that share some elements with this one have those things so this one probably does, too"). In contrast with that, I've shown reasons to think you disliked Tina (most notably that people don't normally want to remove somebody from the story for an extended period of time unless they dislike them, and your preferred outcome would almost certainly have resulted in that happening to her), and I have also shown good reasons to believe that Erik's shortcomings in communication (which you have conceded) with Tina, by hiding a lot of information, could be related with her then not always being good at communicating with him about everything (since trust and communication are two-way streets). As such, both of that assumptions are justified, even if you dispute the conclusion.

The original argument still boils down to whether or not she is mentally developed enough to know that when she is told that she is being rewarded for x, but needs to work on y, that it means she is rewarded for x , but needs to work on y, and whether she will be better at becoming more disciplined and better at working with others by joining a highly discipline team, or by "reflecting". I'll take understanding the meaning of words and training with a disciplined team to develop disciplined teamwork any day of the week.

Dex-chan lover
@throwaway4ccount I'm shortening this because clearly other people are annoyed by the long walls of text.

Yes, you are making up and lying about me hating Tina. You're applying the words of other people to me. You're literally ignoring my actual words in favor of your agenda because it's too hard for you to read. That's a prevailing theme here. You make things up and ignore actual statements to support your crap, and then you accuse me of that. I already addressed the issues of how failing her makes more sense for her growth than enabling and incentivizing bad behavior.

And then you point to chapter 3, literally thirteen years ago, as evidence that Tina currently doesn't want to tell Erik she wants to join the knights because she is afraid he would disapprove. The sheer gall and audacity of saying you have support for your statement when you are literally making up connections that don't exist.

And then you again mischaracterize it as somehow being about mental development even though there are very clearly adults in the real world who act like this, who are enabled. You don't know basic human psychology.

You know what? I'm going to leave it at that. Yes, I did actually read your post, and I would respond to all of your lies and your lack of understanding, but it would be annoying to other people. I will just again point out that my position is still reasonable based on the basic fact other people agreed with me. You're fighting a losing battle because you are wrong.

@comeonnow0 My point was that, my assumption about you hating her was based on a person you proudly state agrees with you, showing you agree with them to some level, too (since you cling to the affirmation of others to explain "reasonableness"), and the fact that your solution writes her out of the story for an extended period of time. Almost every time I see comments wanting a manga to get rid of a character, it is because they dislike them. Thus a very reasonable assumption on my part. This is in stark contrast to you actually making up two different groups of people in the manga. So I was showing that you have no right to accuse others of making things up.

You then say you "already addressed the issues of how failing her makes more sense for her growth" but only if those invented groups exist. You complain about it being "too hard for [me] to read", but then fail to read what I wrote, which was: "Also, how does failing her help her overcome the issues that Jere noted (without adding in entire groups of people that haven't been mentioned in the manga)?" Emphasis on "WITHOUT ADDING ENTIRE GROUPS", which is why you didn't directly answer this time. "I already addressed"? Not without INVENTING groups. I told you to show how it would be better for her to do it through "reflection" which is what you first stated. But YOU CAN'T! Not from the manga.

Yeah, 13 years ago, because things that happen in childhood can have connections for a lasting time. There is a connection there (both have to do with her wanting to share in something with Erik to be with him and support him, and the first he tries to prevent her from doing, and the second she assumed he would prevent her from doing, resulting in major parallels), but I already stated that I wasn't expecting your processing ability to be able to see it, because you've shown yourself to be intentionally ignorant. You appeal to "basic human psychology" but if you actually understood it, you would see the connection here.

Sure, there are adults that are enabled, but that isn't evidence of this being enabling. I pointed out that if there were a few changes in what occurred here, that it would be enabling. But that doesn't make it enabling here, in this instance. He pointed out the flaws. Also, he is then letting her join the military. Being allowed to join a military group doesn't mean being allowed to get away with all sorts of bad behavior. Military groups are rather disciplined, and we've just seen that, Jere, as a representative of this military, used one training session to point out some of her shortcomings, so we can expect more of that. In fact, sending adults that were enabled into the military normally results in them either straightening up, or getting kicked out. So if she doesn't fix her shortcomings, it is reasonable to assume she would get kicked out (and thus separated from Erik, which she wants to avoid), because the military has already shown the ability to diagnose are target those shortcomings. In order to get the "reward" of staying with Erik, she will have to submit to their training and discipline. That's not enabling, but nice "whataboutism" attempt.

Obviously you are trying to cherry pick what you thought were the easiest parts (and still failing at those), and leave the other parts, because you don't have an actual leg to stand on. You saying that "other people agreed with me" automatically makes your "position still reasonable" ignores all of the conspiracy theories that have been believed by vast amounts of people over the years, despite them not having good reasons to believe them. Even if you believe some conspiracy theories (and some of them may be reasonable) you surely recognize that many aren't reasonable at all, but are still believed. Reason shouldn't be a popularity contest, and the fact you have to appeal to it shows that you can't debate the merit. The only way I'm fighting a losing battle is because I'm trying to get you to admit that you presented a flawed approach, but you would rather INVENT MULTIPLE GROUPS than admit being wrong. Again, pointing out that, for your position to be right, you have to have NOT ONE, BUT TWO groups exist in the manga, that have not been referenced, at all, in 27 chapters. That is evidence of a flawed argument.

Dex-chan lover
@throwaway4ccount I love how you claim that your assumption is somehow reasonable but then deny any recognition of reasonability in what I say. Such a hypocrite. Again, you're wrong. No, I don't hate Tina. What more is there to say besides the fact that you are just trying to ignore what I am literally saying? You're pointing to OTHER PEOPLE to determine how I feel. I could give tons of examples where Tina could be failed here and allowed to reapply without being gone from the story, but based on your posts, you'd just whine about how that's not in the story. The story could just shift to also have a focus on Tina training and improving separate from Erik. The story could have a time skip for everyone and have Tina already better. We've already had a time skip. But herp derp, you're probably going to still say that I hate Tina and that I'm just making things up when, in fact, that's all that you're doing.

You missed the point. Let me give you the STRONGEST version of what you said. Let's say that there are zero other groups. Guess what? YOU are still enabling Tina. You have rewarded and incentivized her bad behavior by allowing her to join the knights immediately. You have said NOTHING about this. EVEN IF there are zero other groups where she could learn, YOU are still enabling her bad behavior because you gave her exactly what she wanted after she acted badly.

You're literally making it up. I want you to point to any kind of actual text where Tina says she didn't want to tell Erik she wanted to join the knights because Erik hides things from her. You need to be SPECIFIC because anything other than that is pure speculation on your part. You ignored that. There is no text that supports you. Tina literally says she wants to be in the knights because she wants to be with Erik forever.

"but that isn't evidence of this being enabling" Tina acted badly. Tina is getting what she wanted as a direct result of her acting badly. Yes, Jere pointed out the flaws. Guess what? That means DESPITE all of those flaws, she still gets her reward! That means that she doesn't have to actually care about the flaws if all she wants is the reward that she got. That is textbook enabling. You are clearly showing your ignorance of basic human psychology.

Obviously you're ignoring the actual text and making things up.

NO DUH I pointed out the easiest parts! Are you stupid? I'm trying to not have walls of text! I don't need to show how you're wrong EVERYWHERE. I just need to show that you've been lying not only to me, not only to others, but also to yourself. You claim I don't have a leg to stand on when you're literally lying about the story and lying about how I feel? Herp derp, comeonnoow0 must hate Tina even though he says that he doesn't because I, throwaway4ccount said so.

My God, you don't know what a hypothetical example is, apparently. This is evidence of you not being able to think at all.

---

You accuse me of cherry picking, but apparently you can't even read that other people are annoyed by walls of text and that I specifically said that's why I was shortening. My God, at least don't bother other people because of your problems. Try to be considerate of other people.

@comeonnow0 Yes, I did say that mine was reasonable. Also, no, I will not be blindly trusting your words when you say whatever you want to try to win the point. As I said, I should have predicted that you would claim to "not hate her". As for pointing out others, that was based on how you have continually pointed to them saying they agreed with you to prove you are right. So now you want to separate yourself from them? The only reason they agree is because they don't like her, not based on reasonableness. If you claim them agreeing with you proves you are reasonable, then you have to accept why they agree with you. You want them to be considered in harmony with you, while also portraying yourself as being at odds with them. That's not consistent. Also, a timeskip that goes from "she was failed last chapter" to "and here she still is!"? Seriously, do you not realize how disjointed that would be? Your desired outcome requires a separation, but then you say the manga could just not do the separation, which would then make the plot point of failing her anti-climatic. Surely even you could see that.

That isn't the strongest version of what I said. That is you making something up that is completely unreasonable and assigning it to me. She isn't rewarded for her bad behavior. She was given a test, and passed the test, but didn't get a perfect score. Another person already made the comparison to somebody being given a test, passing it, and being given extra questions to push them farther. What "bad behavior" specifically are you talking about, by the way? Not expecting Jere as an opponent, not talking to Erik before taking the test? The Knights aren't arbiters of how much somebody talks to a friend about what they want to do, so that would not be a reason to fail her in an APTITUDE test. Her impulsiveness? That's another arbitrary thing, but would best be handled through training her to respond in a disciplined manner, rather than just instinctually.

To say that passing somebody because they aren't perfect at everything means enabling their flaws is ludicrous. Following your logic, if somebody takes a 100 question test, and misses 5 questions, but gets 95 right, giving them an "A" means enabling their mistakes and encourages them to keep getting wrong answers on the test. No! They are being rewarded for what they did well, but also being made aware of what they got wrong, to do better on the next test. Or saying that somebody got a 33 on the ACT, with all of their points missed being math questions being accepted into a university on scholarship for an Engineering degree is enabling them to be bad at math. No, they are rewarded for the 33, and if they fail math classes in school they will lose their scholarship. That isn't enabling, but according to you, it would be.

The definition of "enabling" is not "somebody getting a desired result when not acting perfectly in pursuit of said result". If it were, then you would be right, but that isn't the case. She isn't being let off the hook. She is not "getting what she wanted as a direct result of her acting badly"; she is getting what she wanted as a directly result of showing her proficiency and usefulness to the Magic Knights. She has the magical ability to be an asset to the kingdom, and is being recruited as a direct result of that. You say she is being rewarded "DESPITE all of those flaws" but you want to fail her "DESPITE" all of her talent, ability, and usefulness. You are the unreasonable one.

Tina's magical quality and quantity means that she would be a major asset for the Magic Knights, and her flaws can be resolved with more discipline and training. The Magic Knights, if they are at all a competent group, would be a disciplined group that would train their members for the combat and teamwork they expect them to perform. Barring a more elite group above the Magic Knights, they should be the most capable at training magic users for combat. Jere is a good evaluator of strengths and weaknesses of others.

Is there something wrong with that paragraph? If not, then it is more reasonable to accept her than to fail her. Thus, your stance is not the reasonable one.

Why hold me to a standard much higher than the one you expect for yourself? I show you a direct example of a time when she wanted to do something to be able to work with and support Erik, and Erik tried to shut it down, to say that when Erik says he thinks she expected him to shut this down, he probably connected the two. I think we can both agree that the reason he tried to shut her down previously was linked to his lack of communication. So, at least there is some connection in the manga. You, however, come up with an adventurer's guild out of completely nowhere, but treat it as fact. Basically you are saying: "You have to have them state your points verbatim for them to be acknowledged, and you have to accept my inventions unless the manga specifically states they don't exist." That's a ridiculous double standard, and you show yourself to be a hypocrite. Even if you don't agree with the connection (which you only don't because you don't want to concede that you are wrong), you have to admit that there is more evidence for my statement in the manga than there is for the adventurers guild that you invented.

The thing is, you haven't shown that I am wrong anywhere. Even with the "easiest parts". You have lied and made things up enough that I don't believe you when you say you don't hate Tina. That is true. If you had been more honest in everything else, then I would believe you, but you have lied that kids would defend somebody pointing a sword at them, rather than admit you were wrong, so you have no credibility.

Sometimes hypothetical examples are deeply flawed and thus don't help anything. Me recognizing yours to fall into this category shows better critical thinking skills than you have demonstrated. I have constantly pointed out that your "hypotheticals" require groups for her to train with, and as such don't show how she would be better of using "reflection" than joining the Magic Knights. The fact that you continue to dodge this, and instead trying to dismiss me, rather than engage with the merits of the discussion prove you can't actually defend your view on the merits. This is the third post I've challenged you to show how her "reflecting" would help her more than joining the Magic Knights, and you have yet to provide any evidence of it.

Once again, you want me to accept what you state as fact. But you also wanted me to treat soldier divisions for commoners as fact, just because you stated it. You saying it doesn't mean it is right. So you decided to just paint anything you didn't address as "lies and lack of understanding" to handwave it away. So you think that I am bothering other people because of your problems? Is that your point? Also, I'm guessing most people skip over the comments they don't want to read. I'm sure you just want me to stop replying because you know that I have the more reasonable position. Rather than appealing to me to not reply to your points to "be considerate of other people" you could have not replied at all, if you thought our discussion was rude to others. But you want ME to not reply, because you've gotten to the point where you know you really can't defend your position, and the best you are left with is: "I don't hate Tina" and "rewarding people for being outstanding but not being perfect is textbook enabling."

Dex-chan lover
@throwaway4ccount The end result is that you're lying. The end result is that YOU are the one saying whatever you want in order to win your point. The end result is that YOU are doing what you accuse me of doing. You are a hypocrite.

I've already said what I needed to say on this point. Yes, I did read your posts. However, unlike you, I will actually be considerate of other people and not bother them with walls of text. Your arguments are deeply flawed, and the support from the comments already shows this to be true.

@comeonnow0 The end result is that you say I'm lying, but that doesn't mean I am lying. It means either you are or I am. I assert you are the liar. The end result is that my point that joining the Magic Knights is a better way to gain discipline and combat training that "reflecting" has not been refuted. The end result is that you claim harmony with a commenter to prove you are right, and disharmony with that same commenter to *checks notes* say you are right. If you are willing to say that their agreeance shows you are right to try to prove one statement, then also say that you completely disagree with them for the reason they agree with you, to try to prove another statement, it proves that you are willing to say anything to win your point. Thus, you are the hypocrite. So, when we accuse each other of hypocrisy, I have direct proof for my side, you have "but I say so" on your side. So which one is more likely to be the liar? Obviously you.

Yes, you probably did read my posts (though comprehension is something else). However, unlike me, you can't reply with substance, so you just tried to dismiss me as a person to avoid interacting with my points. I replied with substance each time. Nobody in the comments other than you has addressed any of my arguments, so saying that there is support from the comments for saying my arguments are flawed is another lie. The 3 comments of support you got were not detailed endorsements of your position. When challenged for a specific defense of your original post, you have refused multiple times, now, which shows you are the one with a deeply flawed position. I'm also not the only person to comment that you were wrong in your assertion, so you don't even have consensus (even excluding me) from the comments.

Users who are viewing this thread