Shoushaman no Isekai Survival ~ Zettai Hito to wa Tsurumanee ~ - Vol. 3 Ch. 14

Dex-chan lover
Yes, mangaka know that Japanese food is loved by everyone who ever tries it because, in real life, the whole world has switched to Japanese cuisine … or not.

Tju

Dex-chan lover
this very much reads like a final chapter. not a terribly bad end, since the goal of the story was for the MC to overcome his depression, but certainly a quiet ending without much oomph.

Dex-chan lover
I head someone says the current Isekai genre shows the mentality of people today. Previously, the main aim for Isekai story protagonist is to come back to the real world. It's akin of a child who ran to their world but decide to went through the process of growing up and went back to reality. But now, most put returning as a second priority and the rest accept their new world and even decide to stay in that world. Running away from reality and stay at the comfort of your own environment.
It should be remembered that older Isekai often targeted children. Kids who had good lives and had to learn to deal with their childish problems.

Modern Isekai is more about adults who are unable to catch a break in society....

It's a complete different group of people that are being targeted... a complete different age group...

Dex-chan lover
This really feels like an axed final chapter, also glad the nobels son didn't ruin the event. I'm prolly gonna get X'ed but I wish it didn't do those blantant fan service moments of the bride to be. I also liked the detail of giving the protectorates their meal too.

I still hope the MC finds someone to partner up with eventually too.

Dex-chan lover
I head someone says the current Isekai genre shows the mentality of people today. Previously, the main aim for Isekai story protagonist is to come back to the real world. It's akin of a child who ran to their world but decide to went through the process of growing up and went back to reality. But now, most put returning as a second priority and the rest accept their new world and even decide to stay in that world. Running away from reality and stay at the comfort of your own environment.

But you know, i don't think that as running away. At least not fully. The "then" and "now" is different, vastly different. Even if what's need to be done is the same, but how to do it already change a lot. It's like comparing gas and diesel engine and calling them the same thing so it's ok to put gas on diesel. Sure it might work, but overtime it will ruin the diesel engine.

I would say that this series shows exactly what is needed. Pressure and expectation is scary. People is Scary. Society is scary. As what Shiro and Sora once said "This world is just... a crappy game". But as crappy as it is, we still need to play it. What do you do when you find a game you don't like but still had to play it? one way is to ask for help from others who knew it better, another is to cheat, but personally, i think playing together with friends or family, someone that you care and care for you, is better. Because no matter how scary people is, or society is, it is reassuring to know that you are not "alone". But just knowing it sometimes not enough, in fact it might even made one question the reality. "are they really there for me? and not just enjoying the feeling of superiority from helping me?". What we really need, in this generation of internet Era, is human warmth. Not just the knowledge about each other, but also the presence. And this shows in this series, at least from what the author wants to convey since a work is often times the reflection of the author.

I mean, there's a growing segment of people in today's real world that sell all their investments, convert what they can in money and move out into the middle of no where, often times off the grid, to just live the simple life. We just call it "homesteading" now.

And the fact that so many people are doing it... I dunno, maybe it says more about society in general than it does about them.

Fed-Kun's army
Those people have a shallow knowledge of Isekai as a genre. The genre started with old pulp sci-fi mags of some regular guy being sent to alternate or alien worlds. He was bestowed some ability, found it inherent to himself or just relied on good ol human ingenuity and common sense from where he lived(sound familiar?)and would run around on an adventure doing whatever. Princess of Mars, Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Flash Gordon, etc. It wasn't until the 80's where various media tried to use it to tell stories of adversity where facing and overcoming the trials led to being imparted with some moral lesson and being sent back to deal with the issues they had in their real world(Bully, parent dying, etc). People know what they are familiar with so they project on the materials of today with what they had and of course see it as lesser.

You should watch the original Twilight Zone series as a number of episodes would be categorized as isekai by today's standards. Complete with being killed and sent to another world, a dream world. Its also just good media in general.

Dex-chan lover
Those people have a shallow knowledge of Isekai as a genre. The genre started with old pulp sci-fi mags of some regular guy being sent to alternate or alien worlds. He was bestowed some ability, found it inherent to himself or just relied on good ol human ingenuity and common sense from where he lived(sound familiar?)and would run around on an adventure doing whatever. Princess of Mars, Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Flash Gordon, etc. It wasn't until the 80's where various media tried to use it to tell stories of adversity where facing and overcoming the trials led to being imparted with some moral lesson and being sent back to deal with the issues they had in their real world(Bully, parent dying, etc). People know what they are familiar with so they project on the materials of today with what they had and of course see it as lesser.
Ey! If we are talking about Isekai as a genre, we could also argue that it is a genre as old as myth it self. Does stories about going to the Underworld, Asgard or stories like Urashima Taro not embodied what i-sekai (strange world) genre? It is as old as stories about gods and it never really about metaphor or human psyche.

But! for once i had to agree to these people. While it is true the genre is never about it, but you can't deny the way people made stories is influenced by their life experiences. How the stories goes, how the stories ends, and how much of the people that enjoy that stories could show the mentality of the author and the reader, how they see the world and what is their ideal world is.

So i will say, it is not that people see lesser of a genre, but people see "message" that the author write. I won't deny that there are people who hate and undermine the genre reputation, making a hill out of a mound. But once you actually read a lot of story from the same genre, you would also come to realize the pattern and can't help but to agree.

Dex-chan lover
I'm rather disappointed towards the reception for this chapter. I respect the series approach to the topic of the alienation and isolation one might feel dealing with modern society, but this chapter in particular was a great conclusion to hammering home MC's entire character arc and resolving his issues with connecting to others.

It's all come full circle and MC looks like he's completely willing to accept what the world has to offer now. I'm sure MC would be willing to actually learn the language at this point.

Dex-chan lover
The best part of this story is the little parts where Keigo leaves food for the big wolf things. So sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread