Shuu ni Ichido Classmate wo Kau Hanashi - Ch. 1

Contributor
While there are some similarities between this and Arioto, there are far more differences. As I said in another post, Shuukura is about 97% these two, and almost all of that is actually in their heads rather than an external perspective (one of the reasons I'm not sure how well a visual medium will work) - that alone makes it a very different proposition from Arioto. But beyond that, the main characters development, the development of their relationship, and the whole approach to telling their story is just vastly different.

Arioto is a more polished piece of writing, though I definitely don't want to sell Shuukura short - there's clearly a significant difference between an established and experienced author putting out a professionally edited publication versus an unpublished author putting out a web novel. But despite that, I do think this is extremely well written, and the writing and storytelling style really complements the story being told - certainly as far as the constraints of the translations I've read allow me to say. If you can read the original your opinion may differ, of course . . .

All that said, I think if you enjoyed Arioto there's at least a better than evens chance you'll enjoy Shuukura. Probably not more than 60-70%, though, since they're so very different, but give it a go and see (though I definitely recommend starting with the Amawashi translation first, before trying to stomach the MTL version . . . )
If I were to read the novel I'd do it in Japanese, but when an author relies mostly in inner dialogues it's definitely a bad sign (of bad writing). I won't read the LN because they're without exception poorly written regardless the genre, the only one that was average was one where the inner dialogues were part of the scene, instead of redundant introspections + descriptions (similar to VN). I have much better things to read than novels written for teens, so I stick to the adaptations (Seiyuu Radio for instance even de manga was unbearable, the anime still has a pass because of the actresses).

Dex-chan lover
Where do you guys read the novel?
There is the original web novel which get fantranslated and light novel which is behind and isn't being translated.

Currently there is a good translation from Amawashi Group covering a bit over about 2 LN volumes worth and inactive for many months and less good edited MTL on StorySeedling website caught up to source and covering around 10 LNs worth. It is pretty readable imo, but certainly has you sometimes guessing the right meaning yourself, like swaping who did what to the other.

Supporter
If I were to read the novel I'd do it in Japanese, but when an author relies mostly in inner dialogues it's definitely a bad sign (of bad writing). I won't read the LN because they're without exception poorly written regardless the genre, the only one that was average was one where the inner dialogues were part of the scene, instead of redundant introspections + descriptions (similar to VN). I have much better things to read than novels written for teens, so I stick to the adaptations (Seiyuu Radio for instance even de manga was unbearable, the anime still has a pass because of the actresses).
. . . obviously all judgements of artistic quality are subjective, and literary taste is as uniquely personal as any other individual preference . . . . but I think you may be making some ever so slightly over-broad generalisations there . . .

Whatever, you're human (I presume), so you get to do you however the hell you want. Though perhaps if this is all beneath you it might be polite to leave others to enjoy themselves in peace, despite their clearly inferior preferences?

Dex-chan lover
I didn't read the novel, so I went with the reading of 仙台葉月 given in the chapter.

The furigana next to her first name is explicitly づ (dzu) and not ず (zu).

I have no qualms about changing it if people are more used to it, but ultimately, I think it should have been Hadzuki, as the author intended and not what google translate says.

You can use zu for both it doesn't make a difference, in fact I don't see づ romanized into dzu that much.

Just like how tsu and chi should technically be romanized as "tu" and "ti" but we changed it so that the written word matches the sound better.

IDK HOW I MISSED THIS I LOVE THE WEB NOVEL IVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MANGA TO START

Dex-chan lover
Someone so kindly provided the link to the WN on here and my god they are freaky for FEET :dogewow:

Supporter
Someone so kindly provided the link to the WN on here and my god they are freaky for FEET :dogewow:
That goes away pretty quickly, though it's replaced by longer-lasting kinks, which I won't spoil for you . . .

Supporter
WDYM "longer lasting" :nyoron:
Well, it depends where you draw the line between "a bit of fun" and "kinkeh" (also how much you feel something needs to be sexual to be considered a kink) - the foot licking thing went away reasonably quickly, but biting absolutely never stopped, even if it's meaning in their relationship shifted quite a lot.

. . . though I'm honestly not sure that anything they do is really a "kink", since I don't think any of the "kinky" things they do are about sexual pleasure - they're not doing any of them because they feel good, they're doing them for other reasons, and the good feels are a side effect. And the good feels are often not even really sexual . . . The foot licking was about dominance and control, biting started out as dominance and control, and then developed into an assertion of ownership (and acceptance of that ownership, for Sendai) . . . and they both ultimately found as many "non-kinky" ways to express those things as they did "kinky" ways.

Argh . . . I'm really trying not to write a 5000 word essay, particularly given this is the very first chapter of the manga adaptation and none of this is going to be visible for ages . . .

Anyway, yeah, if biting is really a kink in the context of their relationship then they definitely keep it up waaaay longer than they do the foot licking thing, which arguably isn't really a kink either . . .

Fed-Kun's army
The licking scene in the novel was lewder and went on for longer.
Yeah, they really seem to have toned it down for the manga. It honestly lost a lot of it's significance by not showing how Sendai really acted in that moment. That scene in the novel really showed off her mindset and foreshadowed future events better

Fed-Kun's army
yes!!! YESSS!!! shuukura is one of the greatest novels of all time, cannot wait for people to learn all about it through this adaptation. (i was worried migihara's art wouldnt fit but for the most part it works well). there should be at least two more pages of foot licking tho
I'll continue reading because I love the novel but personally I don't think the art is working for me. I always imagined the art should be something a little darker and not as cutesy. Who knows, maybe I'll get used to it

Fed-Kun's army
Both translations are the web novel - the storyseedling one is MTL, lightly edited but readable if you can handle MTL, the amawashi one is a high quality human translation (full disclosure - I was involved with editing for the first 30 or so chapters, I may be biased about the quality).

As far as I know there's no English translation of the LN version, but my understanding is that the differences aren't massive - it seems to be a clean-up rather than a complete rewrite (which is understandable, given the high quality of the WN).
Was wondering why I recognized your name, just caught up to where Angela stopped translating. She was doing such an amazing job. Do you know why she ever stopped?

Fed-Kun's army
Since you have read the source material, can you answer a question I have?

Are these 2 only going to have a “relationship” with each other or does it take the annoying route of having one or both of them get together with a different random person?
99.9% of the story is only about them interacting with each other. In 300+ chapters there are only a handful where either of them ever interact with anyone else.

Fed-Kun's army
Two things: first, as people keep insisting, as Kirin mentioned the furigana is what's added to kanjis to make sure the reader makes no mistake by reading them, so the correct romanji is the one Kirin's using, though there's no difference in pronunciation between dzu and zu (even though, checking the dictionary is enough to see it and anyone with a minimum of knowledge in Japanese knows what happens to certain consonants' kanjis when they go after the first one in a noun, so tsuki changes to dzuki). And last, I don't know what you find so innovative to go bonkers when this series and author did it better and has a lot of yuri to choose from (unless your feet fetish overwrites everything). So far, I see a run-of-the-mill series where the FMC could be male, if it turns more interesting in the future then great, I just gave it another chance because Kirin is doing it.
If you haven't read the web novel it's hard to explain why everyone likes this story so much. I also love "fall within 100 days" but this story is on a completely different level than that one. It's much more character driven and the two fmcs are such absolute disasters that you can't help but fall in love with them

Fed-Kun's army
Wow, never realized there was such a thing as an otaku snob. Imagine coming in and raining on everybody's parade while trying to express how Superior your literary tastes are LOL

Users who are viewing this thread