Skip and Loafer - Vol. 10 Ch. 58 - Blazing Future

Dex-chan lover
Damn, that was a lot of heavy plot threads than just got dangled in front of us. I kinda got the impression he's a bit of a sociopath given the looks he was casting around early in the chapter, but by the end there's depth to it too. Such great writing and composition on display here:thumbsup:

Fed-Kun's army
I love Kazakami so I’m actually glad we get to know more about him! Sure, I can’t wait to see the plot progress when it comes to Shima and Mitsumi’s relationship but I think what makes S&L so great is that all of the characters have their own ‘lives’.

Thanks a lot for the chapter! ❤️

Aggregator gang
Again, from the given so far, the parents are okay, happens in biggest family, don't go judging extremely.

Fed-Kun's army
My childhood in a nutshell. This is why I become an extremely closeted weeb, while maintaining a corporate normie appearance.
he should've hidden his powerlevel like this guy tbh

Dex-chan lover
Amazing how much better this is when Shima isn't hogging all the page time; the Mitsumi/Shima stuff is actually the thing I care about the least and is where the weakest writing is IMO.

This is the stuff I actually like about the series and it's nice to get some stuff on Kazakami and the soon-to-be graduates. Hoping we get a chapter dedicated to Jinnai and Koyama as well, and maybe Yuzu and the crew from her class or Tomoe with the rest of the girls so she can be fleshed out as more than just Yamada's girlfriend. Most of the cast, when given any kind of spotlight, winds up being incredibly interesting and usually fairly (and realistically) nuanced so I'm always up for seeing more of them.

FWIW Kazakami liking tokusatsu was something from an omake in one of the earlier volumes that I don't think was ever translated/uploaded.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
Ah, his mom is like my mom. 🥲 I hope he can get the figures back at least.

Supporter
I love Kazakami so I’m actually glad we get to know more about him! Sure, I can’t wait to see the plot progress when it comes to Shima and Mitsumi’s relationship but I think what makes S&L so great is that all of the characters have their own ‘lives’.

Thanks a lot for the chapter! ❤️
I like that she's kinda put all that weirdness behind her but, man, he still has a metric crapton of work to do on himself before getting on to any kinda "progress". That's the arc we need to see picked back up.

EDIT: Bonus points if he talks over his failed relationship with his mom and asks why things didn't work out for him when he treated Mitsumi exactly the way she treated his dad.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
This is yet another reason why Skip is head and shoulders above of other mango in its genre.
Every character is realistically grounded and going through something, archetypes that would be one note plot devices have a solid explanation to what makes them tick.

For this chapter, and the background it "revealed" about that character?
That's an exaggeration. Parents too strict, son/daughter apparently a just fine and well adjusted kid is actually a time bomb with very negative thoughts about everyone, it's not the first time I see this story.

Contributor
This is yet another reason why Skip is head and shoulders above of other mango in its genre.
Every character is realistically grounded and going through something, archetypes that would be one note plot devices have a solid explanation to what makes them tick.
Its a cast of deeply flawed characters that are all castles of cards just waiting for one poof to completely topple them over.
More over none of them are bad or antagonistic for this, they are just human.
Also Shima is JUST trying so hard to fooling himself its painful ,if cute, to watch.
MnbXCoX.png
yeah, it reminds me a lot of march comes in a lion in that regard (which is a big compliment)

Dex-chan lover
A guy like this can probably get by with his difficult balancing act, but he didn't even have control over a small space in his own room, so his snapping was inevitable. Very little form of self-expression allowed, I wonder how he got away with having hobbies and a girlfriend earlier with those kind of parents.

While the next interaction looks like it'd be interesting, I'd be far more interested to see him interact with either the pregnant teacher or his ex-girlfriend. Assuming he had an interaction with the teacher before, I feel like both of these women would have seen through his act and we would have had a more in depth perspective on who he is and what his wants are, outside of his own head. That being said, this manga is always fantastic so I'm looking forward to however things play out.

Double-page supporter
totally not interest in this dude but now it’s worth seeing where it goes. his stuck up attitude from the very beginning of his appearance was annoying but now it all makes sense. also shima, you ain’t slick

Dex-chan lover
Great contrast!

And what an unbearable, oppressive life ex-prez lives... Hope he can express himself more.

Dex-chan lover
More over none of them are bad or antagonistic for this, they are just human.
Now don't get me wrong, I like this manga a lot, and I do like that the characters have complexity and so forth. But, I often see people talking like realism consists in making all the characters neither good nor bad, and having anyone who seems like an asshole turn out to just have stuff in their background that excuses it or whatever. And you know, that isn't actually realistic. There are lots of actual assholes in the world, with no big things behind it except that's the kind of personality they have--or maybe, they were a bit spoiled or something, but other people with different starting personalities wouldn't have turned out like them with the same background. And contrariwise, I know a number of people personally who are pretty simply good people--kind, generous, ethical, fairly altruistic.

Complexity and ambiguity can often make for a good story, and it does tend to feel realistic, and quite a few people actually are complex and/or ambiguous. But many aren't, and not having any of those kinds may feel more realistic than it actually is.

Actually, one thing I like about this manga is that it actually isn't doing that. While some of the characters are complicated people, the interesting thing about the MC is that she mostly isn't--she's a cheerful, positive sort of person and with her, what you see is pretty much what you get, and if anything I think she's actively working to maintain that simple cheer in a relatively complex environment. She's not stupid, she recognizes that she could if she wasn't careful end up changing in ways she doesn't like, and she's decided not to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread