So I'm a Spider, So What? - Vol. 6 Ch. 29.3

Dex-chan lover
@Wildfire :
Care to point us all the tiny detail we didn't see? And I talk about details that don't require to know what will happen in the future.

I understand the need to introduce new characters, the problem comes when it's a MONTHLY release and that the story doesn't progress at all for too long. We got some name dropping and their generic psychology and we had to wait two months for that. While you can like it because you already know these characters and it reminds you of future events, for my part they aren't much more than random dudes and it's a little boring. I wouldn't mind it if it was a weekly release, but for a monthly one, it's hard.

The one before was hard because we didn't know anything about the introduced characters and this last one is particularly bad in term of development : We learn that what the power of the demon king is and that she's powerful, but we already knew that from the precedent chapter (and I don't care about what her power exactly do, we already knew it control people movement, more than that seems useless) apart from that we know that she can be even more powerful than she shows but it's a given, so nothing new. And we now know that the two last people can be "rulers that manipulate the world in the shadow" and that they are mysterious... Like... Yeah... It's written on their clothes and attitude and the attitude of others, we already understood it too.

Information redundancy and introducing details that will be important later is good but these techniques have two major flaws: it slows down the story and cut the pace. This is already the main problem that a monthly release manga has to deal with and this just exacerbate that problem. And if the story is too slow, when the dropped details will be important everybody would have forgotten it; so this loss of tempo can even be useless.

Dex-chan lover
I think this is where I stop caring about this manga.
I have not heard a single good thing about the later parts of the novel, and since it looks like the "cute Kumo doing kumo things alone in a cave" phase is starting to end I don't see much point continuing.

Eh, the confusion is entirely the manga's fault.
The mangaka or editor probably expected the manga to end soon after starting, and just be an ad for the LN (like most adaptations), but given that it's getting an anime adaptation, they Finally feel the need to give context to the world… except that it's far too late to be giving screentime to Shun and friends, so, ohey, look Taboo, how about we suddenly start talking about the Human-Demon war!?

… It would have been better if they had the Shun stories every couple of chapters from the start, instead of this, where they held off on acknowledging the future timeline at all, before suddenly giving a completely out-of-context scene that they stretch out over 2-3 parts.

Fed-Kun's army
@luckpack: 2 Months? It has only been a month since the last chapter with her in spider form.

Dex-chan lover
God her design is really distracting. We went from spider and monster shenanigans to straight up nonsensical outfits in record time.

I hope that when read as a total the really jarring transition will flow much better and turn out alright like a number of people have assured us it does, but taken in a weekly/monthly/whatever release, it really does a lot to hurt one's enjoyment of this manga.

There were some really really good explainers and people who were defending and discussing this choice a couple chapters past. Where did those people go cause the people currently doing it in this comment section are at the "NO U" level right now

Contributor
This should be the last chapter of future skip. Unless they show the
giant spider devastation
, but as many people have said, it's weird that they're doing it like this, since with the novel we've already gotten used to the side story jump merry-go-round that is this series. However, they've barely shown any of the side stories here, not
Shun, Katja, Ronan
, and because of that instead of being in the mindset of "Oooooh who are these characters, and how do they fit in the main storyline?" A lot are left wondering "What the fuck is going on?". While I agree this is a bad move, I'd argue against dropping it, since the story does get pretty intense and funny later on.

Dex-chan lover
@Clad95150 Well, I'm talking now as a manga-only reader.
The demon king use some kind of thread and also use the phrase "nai wa".
There's only one character we know so far that has both of that characteristics.

How can you, like, not cares about her.

Contributor
@mage_goo explanation that will take all the fun out of learning about her character:
Meet Ariel. She's been the Demon Lord since ever. You're supposed to believe that she's good ole kumoko, but that's just a red herring. As the story goes along and the story gets more powerful, she starts using her spider link to take control of the labyrinth. Well, she happened to get noticed by Ariel after corrupting her about halfway. As a result she picked up a lot of kumoko's mannarisms.

@eggybot not so much a timeskip as a flash forward.

Rundown of all the characters you should care about at this meeting: MASSIVE SPOILERS
Ariel: She's the one who acts like kumoko, with abyss magic, threads, and "nai wa". She's not. Technically Kumoko's grandmother.
Shiro: Ah good ole Kumoko. She's grown a major sweet tooth, ain't to good with the speaking and the words, and still all around awkward as fuck. Also a god. Literally. Like Apotheosis.
Balto: He's the assistant that has to deal with Ariel. He was in charge of the demon country before Ariel showed up and took her place as reigning demon lord.
Blow: Balto's sibling, a bit wild compared to him. Bout it.
Wrath: Straight up a classmate. He's an oni who started from a goblin. Bad juju happens to him.
Merazofis: Butler to another classmate named Sophia. She was born a vamp. After bad stuff happened to her, she turned her butler to keep her company. With consent, because they're not animals.

Dex-chan lover
@Kisato Ah, that explains it. The most recently translated and sold light novel began touching on that. Honestly, this makes more sense than what I was thinking (one of her parallel wills going rogue, although one could still consider that to be...)
Thank you for the explanation.

And, for those thinking about dropping this because of ONE flash forward... Don't. Or, before you do read the light and/or web novel. If you still don't like what is currently happening after reading at least the first ln, then drop it.

Dex-chan lover
@Kisato
and now you know that that red herring isn't just there for the sake of being red herring, but also to make the flash forward engaging since it's (pretending to be) mostly still about our good ol' kumoko in the spotlight.
so please, stop spoiling shit.
like, seriously, unless someone specifically begs for it, like, really, really begs for it, don't do it.

don't you guys have better place of discussion for those that has read the WN/LN that won't take some random curious manga-only reader as casualty

Jajajaaj wow manga reader can't even handle one of the shortest side chapters (yes 1 chapter the mangaka thought that splitting this chapter in 2 small ones was a good idea).
All of you got the wrong idea with this manga. This is how this plot is TOLD, jumping between characters and stories. All of you who praised the manga for cutting the side chapters this is what you earned we reached the first critical point where a side chapters is needed and two chapters are forced in a row to explain that and even worse instead of 1 side chapters every 3 or 4 kumo chapters like the novel do.
This chapter feels rough because it lacks the support of another side story (S chapters).
All this novel is heavy on worldbuilding and non lineal story.
http://imgur.com/a/qflL9Kv
We're in "I'm evolving part 4"
To this point there will be the S story with 20 chapters, B chapters (demon king), K chapters (even another reincarnator) and Y chapters, this is what you lack and why these two last chapters feel odd you're not used to this when the LN/WN readers to this point know what expect.

Fed-Kun's army
"we reached the first critical point where a side chapters is needed and two chapters are forced in a row to explain that and even worse instead of 1 side chapters every 3 or 4 kumo chapters like the novel do."

@linkhuesitos15 this is a single side chapter I think so wouldn't it have this length regardless? (Though without the manga chapters having the weird .3 splits this would be in a single chapter.)

Dex-chan lover
I don't care if this is how the LN/WN is, as a manga reader I couldn't give less of a fuck about these characters and this side chapter, not because of the lack of Kumo but because they are generic as fuck.

I also want to point out that "this is how the source material is, eat shit if you don't like it" isn't a valid way to defend this sudden switch and makes you look really fucking entitled.

@Ibri
Yeah for sone reason the mangaka thought it was good idea to make two short chapters in 3 or 4 weaks instead of 1 chapter with 24 pages in the same time.
These chapters Don't work so well this way.

For those who didn't see this on the last chapter.
Fresh out of the oven the Light Novel volume 9 contain the first illustration of D.
Manga only readers DON'T OPEN THE SPOILER, this is one of the CRITICAL plot twist on the story (THIS IS THE HEAVIEST SPOILER TODAY)
clnC2Mp.png

Pretty sure this was the point in the WN that I actually started reading the side stories... because this one seemed odd and out of place. It is pretty important for world building.

Shun and company were kind of boring and I'm glad we didn't get their side stories as side chapters.

Users who are viewing this thread