Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru - Ch. 102

Dex-chan lover
At this point in the story Gojo could make her wedding dress for their wedding and he won't even notice it. We know they have been busy with this Haniel cosplay but it feels like Marin is not interested in pushing further, perhaps still dejected from Christmas's failure

Supporter
I disagree, but I think that there is the issue prevalent in media consumption in general of the desire of a singular individual to be responsible for everything.

I want to ask a question: legitimately, how do you think Gojo would react to Marin confronting him? Even if Marin hypothetically asks to speak with him privately, then asks him what was going on with him the day prior, how would Gojo respond?
I don’t believe he would respond well or fully truthful. He has a history of downplaying or misdirecting away from the problems he is experiencing. In an effort to please everyone, Gojo backseats himself time and again. Upon realizing that his lack of reaction/mood had an affect on Marin (negative or otherwise) he would likely start apologizing and self-flagellating, which doesn’t help anyone. Yes maybe they would be able to talk and have a heart to heart about the problem, but not only do Marin and her (rarely seen!) father have plans, Gojo and his grandfather have family arriving shortly. How would any of this work in that kind of time constraint?
Plus Marin rarely gets time with her father, and their relationship is somewhat chaotic in and of itself. While supportive, he has spent more time in the manga scolding Marin than most anything else. Yes it’s in her best interests but that means that other times spent together is all the more important. And Gojo knows this. He would more likely shove Marin out the door to spend time with her dad than have a conversation about the day before that, I would like to note, can happen later.

I think it easy to forget that just because we want the conversation to happen now, doesn’t mean that it can’t still happen later! In fact I imagine they will have this conversation later! It just is not a good time now.

Also there can be shared “blame” in a situation. In this case I don’t think either is to “blame” here, but in playing the blame game there can only be losers. Maybe in a relationship it should not be the responsibility of only one individual to encourage communication consistently, but a cooperation between parties to work together.
Again though. THEY ARE TEENAGERS. Blame game in something like this kind of communication (or lack thereof) is not necessary. If someone had cheated or something that’s different. But in this case, neither the setting nor the mental state of either character seem to be right for what is likely to be a humdinger of a heart to heart.

Sorry for the long reply! It kind of got away from me there!
Hmmm the time constraint explanation part doesnt fit, since that is not a postponement, it was a decision to ignore it altogether or that is how I understood it, but something tells me she wont be able to stand the awkwardness if they keep going as “if nothing ever happened”. Unless she goes pro and they take (in my opinion a very much needed) distance.

It will piss me off if Gojo just stays like he didnt do a thing, and also Marin goes on like she wasnt hurt with his behaviour. And THAT is why there is a “blame game”, in a manga which is mainly based on the relationship between two or more characters, when one of them puts a cut in that relation has to bear some sort of responsibility or consequences, since it will deteriorate the relationship if not handled, and the decisions afterwards can be either “problem solving” or “problem causing/worsening”. Gojo caused (willingly or unconsciously) a problem, and Marin made it worse, no one has gone and addressed the problem. That is what people should be capable of doing, adolescents of course tend to ignore the problem until it explodes.

Besides, she obviously looks bitter from what we saw in this chapter, do you think Gojo, lets say he will act like nothing happened and didnt even notice he behaved like an asshole, will stay quiet and not ask “what is wrong with you” when he sees she is acting bitter? Marin wont stay quiet in that regard I believe.

100% agree! You do mean Marin, yes? Just to make sure we are on the same page. Seeing him really hurt like this and going "nah I will just pretend nothing happened" and not caring enough to not talk to him for 1.5 days is surely the best way and makes sense after all her "I wuv him!" cries.

I mean, she has been nothing short of selfish and neglecting for a hot second now. Really sure you meant her! :p

----That's actually a natural reaction after all the development we had, we all know that Marin, is actually a bit romantically awkward, she saw what happened to Wakana and it befuddled her, she can't wrap why he had such a sad face when she was having the most fun of her life, she was afraid of actually confronting Wakana, Again.

This is the same hesitation she'd been having when she said to herself that she want to confess.
In other gal manga, usually this is where the girl actually being a tad insensitive and directly confront the Mc, but no, we still got this lul instead, because she can't find the good moment to actually bring that topic up (which is normal with both kids' guardian on site) she choose to be quiet in this visit.
It's actually a normal choice for people to wait it out.

In conclusion : she is afraid that she'd mistaken all his actions as his kindness and that actually its torturing himself while being with her all along.
This is a misunderstanding on her part and actually a good character design, showing a gain that Marin is not simply a perfect "gal girl" made for the story. She has faults too. ---

Just an explanation i found on the other Translation chapter wrote by

Sp12er

but, i feel it's more or less on the spot.

Contributor
I'm surprised her dad Masumi was fine with the Shizuku-tan dress, although I guess he didn't really look up the character or he'd probably faint from the details about her he'd discover.

Most other manga dads would've been extremely overprotective regarding their daughter and any sign of boys around her, especially with a girl as pretty as Marin, but I was surprised he just went over to apologize on her behalf and actually had a very good opinion of Wakana.

Other manga dads: Mean glare, ready to rip off the male lead's head.
Sono Bisque Doll: We don't do that here.

Her dad felt shame, not anger about her daughter interacting with a male friend the way she does, which probably means he's already used to her circle of friends. That said, I do like the part where he specifically pointed out that he was chewing her out for not knowing how to cook well not because she's a girl, but because knowing how to cook well is an extremely useful skill to have. Everybody appreciates good food.

So this chapter really managed to sidestep the seeming time bomb drama about what Wakana felt after the cosplay shoot. But for me it's fine this time because it brought her usually absent dad into the picture, and I always believe the parents are vital characters in teenage romcoms who should be showing up more, instead of being conveniently absent for easy writing.

Dex-chan lover
This manga. for example ch. 33, during their Shibuya date.
I just went and reread that chapter and was not prepared for the tonal whiplash. I get what people mean when they complain about the manga now. That's a different manga entirely, sheesh.

But also, I think it's important to acknowledge that "I have an erection" and "I have depression" are hugely different topics to broach, especially if you are not the one opening up, but would be the one trying to get the depression out of the other when you really don't understand what's going on in his heart because from the very start you operate in such different ways

Marin wtf is wrong with you? Just fucking ask if he is alright or not, even if he is looks fine, it's fucking common politeness and care to see if the boy YOU LIKE is okay, and this is after you basically dragged him along for a whole day.
Fucking hell
I mean she was supposed to have confessed to him by now and she doesn't even begin to understand how draining it is for Gojo to put so much effort into someone only to be hung out to dry by them

They are both 100 percent dumbasses

Him getting in his own head and randomly sulking while she is having one of the best experiences of her life is wild
No man, Gojo has been putting in his heart and soul into her costumes from well before he liked her, the emotional investment he's (not to mention gramps) have made into Marin in her costumes, the shoots, the make-up, the general support they've been giving her is insane. This is precisely why the dad acted as he did in this chapter, dude took less than 5 minutes to put two and two together to realise that he loves her. Gojo has been pulling all this weight and for that Marin has been getting nothing but praise but he didn't get a single thank you. Thankless support is degrading as it is, but it's especially hurtful if it's like this. She needs to make up to him so bad

Supporter
Other manga dads: Mean glare, ready to rip off the male lead's head.
Sono Bisque Doll: We don't do that here.
I must be really lucky about the titles I follow, then, because I can't remember the last time I saw this trope used straight-up in a romcom, though I do see it subverted from time to time (eg., Komi Can't Communicate, Hookup Hiccups). However, there are plenty of time where the guy's parents apologize for him being worthless (oddly enough, in the same two titles) and this is definitely not the place for that.

Personally I think Gojo might be dealing with a lack of recognition of his work for Marin. It's been subtle throughout the entire series but this arc it finally boiled over. Every outfit up to now he's gotten praise as the audience has grown (Veronica and Coffin Party exceptions due to injury and him not actually working on the outfits). Actually even with the moments where people ask if Gojo is marin's boyfriend he denies it. The 3rd time is most noticeable as he's called Mr. Boyfriend. he keeps denying it as he want to be recognized for HIS skills and not as Marin's Boyfriend. Might not seem all that important but to a craftsman that's a world of difference. You don't want nepotism. You want to be recognized for YOUR skill. Because you spent the time and effort to make it happen.

Just a thought.

Dex-chan lover
No man, Gojo has been putting in his heart and soul into her costumes from well before he liked her, the emotional investment he's (not to mention gramps) have made into Marin in her costumes, the shoots, the make-up, the general support they've been giving her is insane. This is precisely why the dad acted as he did in this chapter, dude took less than 5 minutes to put two and two together to realise that he loves her. Gojo has been pulling all this weight and for that Marin has been getting nothing but praise but he didn't get a single thank you. Thankless support is degrading as it is, but it's especially hurtful if it's like this. She needs to make up to him so bad

I'm kinda confused. My man has been getting praise with every single costume he's made. People are fawning over how good the costumes are.

He's just getting in his own head at this point. It wasn't even about thanks. Seems like he is more worried he is getting left behind and can't be with marin at her level . It was him not thinking he was good enough. Self doubt shit without any actual reason for it.

Dex-chan lover
Younger rom-com fans have no idea how good we have it these days. In the 90's and 00's, you might never get any concrete resolution at all
Love Hina.

So this chapter really managed to sidestep the seeming time bomb drama about what Wakana felt after the cosplay shoot. But for me it's fine this time because it brought her usually absent dad into the picture, and I always believe the parents are vital characters in teenage romcoms who should be showing up more, instead of being conveniently absent for easy writing.
It didn't sidestep it, but laid more foundation for dealing with it, it comes across as. The cousin that inflicted the wounds on Gojou is gonna be the one who needs to fix them, in the end. (also, Masumi already gave the go-ahead for the magazine modelling, so he's probably used to way more risque stuff).

Dex-chan lover
"I'll make sure that her nutritional needs are being better taken of from now on."
Translation: "I'll make sure to keep her filled up, father-in-law :meguusmug:"

Don't worry, I'll bonk myself :slap:

It's hilarious that her dad saw her food and was like, "Oh God... thank you for taking care of her!" I hope the praise her dad gave him will start changing the way he looks at his own work. Everyone that sees his work is impressed by it, but he still doesn't see himself as someone worth a lot. Hopefully he stops feeling like he isn't worthy of Marin and stuff like that.

And oh God... May 17th... 2 months of wait dang it :meguuusad:

Aggregator gang
So this is the second time Marin has done the “I’m sure he’s fine” thing, and it makes me wonder whether it will ever be addressed. We’ve gotten a good look at the “Gojo is struggling with imposter syndrome and poor social skills” stuff over the course of the story, but Marin’s oddness feels kind of too big to ignore atp. I have more faith in this mangaka then most, but I’m still worried that the only explanation we’ll get for this, plainly jarring, characterization is “because anime.”

Dex-chan lover
I THINK I'VE GOT IT!!! I THINK I KNOW WHAT THE ACTUAL GOJO ANGST IS!!!

Man I hope I'm right, and not just delirious from lack of sleep.

Gojo feels guilty because he ruined Marin's smile.

Hear me out here... Before the big circle shoot, Gojo gave Marin very specific instructions to smile like Haniel. He was so obsessed with getting the cosplay to look as much like Haniel as possible so he told her exactly how to smile. So she did, she stood there for the entire event and smiled like Haniel, and she never smiled like Marin. She never got the big goofy grin on her face that Im pretty sure she's always had at previous events. And it hit him at the end that he was so obsessed with seeing a perfect Haniel that it stopped being about helping Marin with her cosplay and became about his selfish desires. Its the perfect overdramatic Gojo reason to shut down and spiral.

BECAUSE, from Page 1 of Chapter 1, the only person who is at fault for any problem in Gojo's mind is Gojo. I am wrong for liking dolls. I am wrong for getting turned on by Marin when she's asking me for a favor. I am wrong for having lewd fantasies about Marin. I am wrong for not being able to finish this cosplay before the deadline. I am wrong for not being able to do the Hina Doll make up right. I am wrong for not designing the cosplay so Marin doesnt get hot. Etc.

Thats my theory. Thank you for coming to my TEDtalk.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Very interesting development... did not expect this gloomy Gojo to develop, im going to throw my two cents , i think there is a parallel between Gojo and Tokio, as grandpa said to Marin a couple of chapers ago, Gojo is one of those type of persons to get fixed trying to achive, talking about how he could get into 30, 40, 50, and eventually like him, into old age and still striving for more.
Tokio seems very alike, droping anime adaptations of his works, just because its not up to his standards, talking about how even he could not make something like that. That seems like how gojo may feel about this creation now.
Now we saw him, alone in his room, tons of ciggs smoken , being impacted by the cosplay of Maririn, its said that this is the most "haniel" anything been done besides his own drawings.
So. Gojo. Creating this such a great cosplay , even Tokio acknowledge this. Is hit with a very heavy feeling of guilt or maybe impostor syndrome. This is not made for him, he cannot imagine Marin being as perfect as he sees her, being with her.
This now seems like an inflexion point, a point where Gojo will either go and live like Tokio, until he is old and bitter. OR Maririn pushes him past this mentality , pushing him to recognize his very impresive talent as his own. Like Gramps said, Marin has to be there and tell Gojo just how good he is.
YAH , thats what i feel and think about this silly cosplay manga. im hopefull the Author will give us more , ill wait whatever it takes.

Dex-chan lover
sigh, for the love of god, give me 2 chapters a week i need to know the rest of the stories!

Users who are viewing this thread