Sousou no Frieren - Ch. 129 - The Shadows of the Empire

Contributor
Why do I recognize the name "löwe" in this manga? Have we heard of or encountered the guy before? Or some relative (aka similar name)?

321-3216213_lowes-company-logo-lowes-logo-transparent-hd-png.png

Dex-chan lover
Sense is sooo adorable with the shadow boxing using her hair 😄😄

Also Stark and Fern snuggling together was really cute as well.

This arc should be extremely interesting, but it understandably makes me very anxious as well. Idk what exactly will happen cause even Frieren and the group have next to no advantage in the very epicenter of enemy territory.

Dex-chan lover
Fern has no confidence in her daugh... master, for shame.

Things are moving.

The way the talk between Lowe and Schritt has gone... it almost feels like the shadow warriors are so... shadowy that they are almost a separate part of the Empire, so far from the normal chain of command that they could even be something else.

I can see the potential reasons (especially political) for the empire to want Serie and Frieren dead... but at the same time this feels too stupid.

In a way, the best I can come up with is that because they are elves and Series and Frieren are the first and second most powerful mages in the world... the empire feels threatened by their existence, but at the same time they are doing that to people that did nothing in their lives that hasn't benefited the world.

This smells of political bullshitery and underhanded agendas.

Group Leader
The arc seems to head into a full on confrontational/action packed direction... But I really hope that the demons also comes into play and wreck the empire so that the era of peace slowly phase out....
who knows, maybe a new 'hero' would emerge?
I believe that a new demon "king" could emerge, well, regarding the possible new hero, I think it would be Stark since he has all the capabilities of being a hero. But I think it's difficult to happen since the story shows Frieren's future and the author probably won't bring in a new demon king to threaten them.

PS: I'm using a translation app, so some of the writing may have been confusing, I hope you understand.

Dex-chan lover
When did we see an 'å'?
åäö are the 3 last letters of swedish alphabet, and mainly included them all hoping it to show the language I approached it from. But yes, I am fairly sure we have seen "å" recently too (though not in this specific chapter), even if I don't remember seeing "ä" (though might just be my memory being flawed. And it might even have been other way around, in which case you would be correct and it's indeed definitely meant to be german)?
Though these letters aren't specific to Swedish language, since they also exist in other Nordic languages, and sometimes other Germanic languages.
Overall, I'm getting a more German vibe, especially since we have Übel, and 'ü' is not a Nordic letter, but a German one.
Apart from swedish, afaik only finnish has "åäö" (german has "ä,ö,ü,ß" instead), and I think the reason they have it is because of storsverige and finnish-swedish being a thing? I might likely be wrong though (though a cursory search to verify my memory suggests it was right: "...carried over, but it has no native Finnish use and is treated as in Swedish"). Btw, most other nordic languages uses "Ø" instead (all others, if you don't count icelandic as nordic. Though that one lacks å/ä)
But yes, other languages does have "ö" in particular, such as german.

Yeah, like I said, the names does seems german.
And there's a reason I didn't list it as part of the letters I am surprised to see, since ü is expected.
And in Swedish, 'w' is often used as a fancy 'v'. The English 'w' sound doesn't exist natively in Swedish. And in cases with the name "Love", it can be written like "Lowe" to make it less confusing for English speakers, even if the 'e' would still probably be pronounced the wrong way.

Source: I'm Swedish.
I am swedish too :thumbsup: And there is a reason there's tons of jokes about yokes :meguusmug: (swedish pronunciation of j and v sounds like y and w).

If you post a comment like this you should probably specify beforehand that you´re Swedish, cause as a German at first I thought you're just spreading misinformation for some reason. Löwe is just the German word for lion, so there aren't any embellishments with "swedish-specific" letters (Especially since you also use Ü, Ö and Ä in German).
I hoped the choice of including (near the start) "å" in "åäö" would make it clear :) (granted, could be finnish too, but afaik at least "å" has no actual use in the language?) But yes might have been worth specifying more explicitly due to the focus on "ö". :glee:
ps: what would make it "swedish-specific™" would be the specific set of 3 characters "åäö" (that is, "å" as well). Not each by themselves.
I don't know Japanese so I can't answer your question with certainty but I think that if you want to write a "western" name in Japanese you use Hiragana to spell the name phonetically and the reader has to guess at the spelling, obviously that's easier if you know that the original name is German or English.
iirc it was "katakana" for foreign words? But either way, my question was because I don't think either of those alphabets have letters for those phonems(was that the right nomenclature?) (ö & w), and obviously something like "ro-be" would spell out "lobe" (iirc: b/v is same letter, just like l/r. And o is simply not even close to an ö other than the shape).

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I think the only thing Serie is worried about is whether she should destroy her disciple dream or not since it's baring it's fang at he r
tanks for the food

Group Leader
Oh neat, they're sending assassins after Frieren. And Frieren knows.

Also, it's rather funny in a way how this all could've been avoided had Serie accepted Flamme's offer. After 1,000 years, she would've become the most powerful person (politically) in the Empire.
If you don't mind, remind me what that offer was? I don't recall.

Dex-chan lover
Do we ever seen this Lineal character before ? or this is the first time she is mentioned ?
Was wondering that too. Isn't in the wiki yet either
Chapter 126 and 127.
I get forgetting about stuff from dozens of chapters ago, but come on. Not like she was some throwaway mention too. There were entire conversations about her and secondhand accounts of her appearance too.

Dex-chan lover
If you don't mind, remind me what that offer was? I don't recall.
Flamme introduced magic to the Empire and started training mages there. When she died, Frieren brought Flamme's will to Serie. In her will, Flamme asked Serie to teach magic in the Empire in her place. But Serie refused.

Had Serie accepted the offer, she would be revered in the Empire almost as much as Flamme, and they wouldn't be trying to kill her now.

Group Leader
Flamme introduced magic to the Empire and started training mages there. When she died, Frieren brought Flamme's will to Serie. In her will, Flamme asked Serie to teach magic in the Empire in her place. But Serie refused.

Had Serie accepted the offer, she would be revered in the Empire almost as much as Flamme, and they wouldn't be trying to kill her now.
Do you remember the chapter? I'd like to reread it.

Users who are viewing this thread