Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 3 Ch. 22 - Scales of Obedience

Dex-chan lover
tenor.gif

Dex-chan lover
Nice and clean, the demon are doomed from a woman who already dead 1000+ year ago. First her barrier, they still cannot breach it even now and second her diciple as a mage no one stronger than her.

Nice job Frieren!

I noticed that on page 14 it appears that the author accidentally drew her with human ears, rather than elf ears. I thought maybe she had disguised herself but then at the next panel she’s clearly seen with elf ears again lol

Dex-chan lover
@0RedFrame0 what a good expression hahaha. But yeah, it was pretty awesome.

This series so far has been going flawlessly in how they show Frieren's world, her view and interactions and this moment even if we all knew Frieren was gonna defeat her, in how was being prepared and most of all executed... perfect 👌👌

Dex-chan lover
Also, like Dungeon Meshi (though in of course a completely different manner) I love how the author has done enough world building to actually have a whole "ecology" going on so that all sorts of cool bits of story naturally just fall right out of it. It all pretty naturally evolves out of the original decision to have demons be a sentient evolved out of a predator/mimic type of monster. So their whole society, and in turn skills vs humanity and blind spots, all feels really sooth rather then deus ex machina.

It reminds me of Larry Niven's Known Space series, and the alien race of the Kzinti. They're basically alien sentients who evolved from tigers or lions or something like that, and were bootstrapped out of primitive iron/bronze age civilization or whatever it was into high tech by an encounter with another advanced species. So they got advanced "magic" tech without even the minimal cooperation and such that'd normally be needed to develop high tech, so they're hyper warlike and aggressive. Totally different origin from us.

Ok, took far too long to reply ... now I have 3 more people to reply to :p

@qwyxivi

You are right ... but in the end, that is the point. Sometimes it is better to curbstomp ... sometimes, not always. But the demons are stated to be stuck in the always. Using your analogy, if you have a lot of nukes, it is a good strat to just parade them in a national holiday for everyone to see and get scared ... but you have less than that, but are making them, you definitely do not want to flaunt your nukes until you have enough to ensure a MAD state of affairs, because the guy with lots of them might feel tempted to use some of them to erase your threat wile he can.

@Fushiginiku

Ok, let's resume what we know about demon society. Basically they are designed as a enhaced version of the proverbial hen pecking order: strong demon rules, weak demon obeys. Also, their power level evolves with time and they are not immortal or timeless ( in other words, they begin their existance in a point of time and can die ), so there will be a need for societal arragements when a demon, by gaining experience or knowledge, increases their power more than others. It is hinted that demons do that via fighting. There is also a demon king, that is againg hinted to be so because he is the the strongest of demons.

My point is that, unlike Flamme ( and the author, apparently ) thinks, if you go to nature and see the societal structure of animals that have the kind of societal structure he proposes for demons, the individuals in there do not behave like demons do in here. Powerful ones for sure flaunt their strenght, the rest ... not, to avoid that the powerful ones feel tempted to prove their superiority on them. More, and exactly because of that, younger ones will usually feign weakness in the front of powerful ones to gain time for them getting themselves the skills and stength to do their bid for power, because if a powerful one sense a young one budding into someone that can topple him, he will feel tempted to get rid of him while he can do that easily. Note how diferent that is from the "can't limit their mana bacuse their society depends on it" that Flamme states.

So , I think that either Flamme states explanation is faulty or that there is something else at play that we were not presented to already.

@Red225

Note that Flamme doesn't say that. She compares demon mana show off to human riches show off. In other words, as humans could limit their riches show off, but don't , demons could limit their mana output , but don't. For #reasons.

That said, I kind of agree with you. Demons, unlike it has been said in the manga, do not behave as a natural animal that preys on humans ( in fact , we never actually saw a demon preying on humans and consuming them in the manga, just demons killing humans ). Their society is also too much centered on killing humans to be easily classified as natural and it does not seem to have any support inside besides the potential ability of killing humans. Yeah, if you look it that way, it looks like demons were designed to hunt humans ( not preying on humans ) and nothing else.

Dex-chan lover
@VillagerC
Honestly, I kind of feel bad for Aura and would like to know more about the demons. Why are they all so focused on annihilating the humans? If their emotions are just an act then why do they fear death? If they are cunning and highly intelligent then why wont they search for a different way of living?
I too hope some future chapters will delve into that as I'm curious as hell about it too. A few of the earlier chapters have given some hints, like that the birthplace of demons/Demon King's residence was once a grand center of soul research and 'where innumerable souls gather', and that (ironically now) people back then called that place Heaven on Earth(see chapter 7).

Aggregator gang
Honestly, this whole arc about hiding your power level was quite underwhelming and felt a bit out of place, but the ending just redeemed everything. And i just love how seemingly important characters with potential to be recurring just get brutally killed off like it's nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread