Tearmoon Teikoku Monogatari ~Dantoudai kara Hajimaru, Hime no Tensei Gyakuten Story~

Damn whenever /a/nonymous is involved its always good. Another gold in this crazy mine called mangadex

What makes Mia SSS top tier villainess isn't looks or her pride as a villainess (she has none): its the fact that her original personality doesn't get erased/overwritten when she gets her do-over. Sure, she grows as a person slightly, but the selfish, conceited, cowardly Mia we all know and love remains her core.

The latest bit with Chloe is pure mia: her motivation to make friends is inherently selfish (not that there is anything wrong with wanting book buddies) and thus classic Mia.

Too many "villainess gets a second chance" stories completely murder the original personality either by someone else reincarnating into that villainess or by the villainess deciding to be "kind this time" to the point where it doesn't even feel like the same person.

Here, Mia goes the "lets be kind now" route while retaining everything that makes her Mia. Its glorious and one of the heights of the genre.

@millenialboomer woah, its this comment sections very own book buddy. :p In truth though, I agree with your analysis, it brings this story from overly common especially in the shoujo category, to one that largely stands atop them in the way it stands out.

@Macken to be fair, I don't think this is a shoujo; the art cleaves towards male prefs both here and in the light novel; most tellingly, the male leads don't all look excessively flowery. Mia herself maintaining her selfish personality (not to mention Mia trademark laziness!) is a far cry from any shoujo protagonists, especially in the villainess genre. Compare the art to another villainess titan in the genre, "Fiance's Observation Log of a Self Proclaimed Villainess" (warning: exact opposite of tearmoon: only the villainess and heroine misunderstand) and you'll see what I mean.

I think shoujo girls are drawn cuter, mea culpa

@millenialboomer your idea about what defines shoujo genre seems to be deeply rooted in 2000's, it's not like that nowadays, most popular shoujo manga, novels and webcomics are the ones with deeply flawed protagonists and "villaness" genre, also most shoujo titles nowadays make fun of overly flowery male leads

@millenialboomer just look at hamefura for example of extremely successful and definitely shoujo genre manga that started or at least popularised villainess trend that has deeply flawed protagonist, doesnt have overly flowery male characters and even features girl love interests

Dex-chan lover
My dumbass is just now realizing this entire series is a "What if Marie Antoinette was an Otome Protagonist" lol

@nrexplain haha, cheers, but using bakarina as your example is a poor choice for deeply flawed protagonist : Everyone in that story loves her in spite of how gross she acts. If your idea of a deep flaw is male repellant, well, the males in that story don't seem to mind haha. Its been a while since I read that, but isn't her ever-growing harem the result of people liking her for what she is? I feel like its the complete 180 from tearmoon as only bakarina ever seems to misunderstand the chaos she has caused. Granted, Observation Log also does this, but the main character is the prince, not the villainess: punctuated by the fact that he thinks villainess' misunderstandings are hilarious.

Tangent, but, I read a lot of villainess sub genre stuff as i'm always on the hunt for stories like tearmoon or the villainess wants to make her husband slim down where the original personality doesn't get murdered. Bakarina I will acknowledge for popularizing the genre, but my god that main character is such a waste: She is completely uncute after original personality is murdered despite that character design looking so top tier for villainess. Typical story for most villainess novels alas.

Thanks for translating this, I love reading this series.
To all those who are thinking about trying this series, I would highly recommend you read at least to the maid introduction. That's when I know it's good.

Does anyone have any reccomendations similar to this? I really enjoy the manga's refreshing take on the timetravel trope and the fact that she acknowledges her flaws and realizes that she needs to change, but also really funny at the same time,,,

Users who are viewing this thread