Tensei Shitara Dragon no Tamago Datta ~Ibara no Dragon Road~

Double-page supporter
So it's "Kumo desu ka" but with dragons instead of spiders? Temporarily followed.

Contributor
their story goes in a different direction though, as this one is forced to take "wrong decisions". some might not like it since they cant get inside the dragons head, but I usually make headcanons after the fact, so I'm totally fine with it.

Aggregator gang
Yeah, alright. Fine premise and all, but I hate that this protag is basically just a beta. He doesn't choose the path of baby dragon because he wanted to. He did it because God told him to. Spider Girl actively chose her path down the evolution tree by her own decision-making and careful analysis of her options with some level of forethought.

This guy is a tenth of a character that she is because he's just getting thrown around with no input on his part. It's like being a part of a linear rpg where you are begging the game to let you do what you want instead.

Dex-chan lover
Seems this one is following close behind the spider girl. The art is good enough so hopefully we will see something new from the story.

Contributor
@Aretheus:

It seems an apples-and-oranges comparison to me, at least at the conceptual level. An (initially) weak spider being a go-getter is great. But a try-hard dragon is liable to just bowl everyone over from the get-go: Where's the dramatic tension in that?

I'm perfectly happy with beta protagonists as a whole in the first place, mind (I guess some people can't stand indecisive people?). But I question the value proposition of having an isekai alpha-dragon, beyond the basic self-insertion enjoyment someone might get out of it.

...For beta dragons I still prefer https://mangadex.org/manga/21782/dragon-ie-wo-kau though.

Aggregator gang
@Pokari

There are three pretty major flaws to that argument.

1. If it's necessary for him to go down an initially weaker evolution tree, that's fine. But the story needs to give the character motivation to do so. And by that, I mean more motivation than your mom nagging you to take out the trash.

2. There's no reason why a "dragon" needs to be a powerful being. This is a fictional world of this author's fantasies. If he wanted dragons on the bottom of the food chain, there is no reason why he couldn't establish that. Just think back to spider, she's not just some conventional spider. She's got unique abilities and magic because the author had the freedom to write whatever he wanted.

3. My use of the term beta does not mean that the opposite would have been an alpha. What he is now is not "beta" as in meek. Rather, "beta" as in an autopilot with no brain. Maybe that doesn't justify the use of the term beta but I couldn't think of anything better at the time.

I really don't want to believe that I have to now justify to people why characters need to think. But then again, this is isekai and the protags usually don't need to think so whatever.

Correct me is needed, but I full feel that this is a isekai comedy, not to be taken seriusly. A little mix between Konosuba and Kumo desu ga. I laught at the "gained what-an-idiot title", so it's good for now.

Fed-Kun's army
judging by the cover art, the mage girl will take a pity on him and keep him as a pet.
(and will nickname him 'pork chops'.)

Group Leader
People keep saying he but it looks androgynous so far and I haven't seen any mention of its gender yet or any hints as to what its gender is.

btw the fact that [God's Voice] wanted him to pick baby dragon was cuz it has a longer and stronger evolution line and the little dragon has a shorter so thats why the long way makes you stronger through experience and work

Users who are viewing this thread