The Holy Grail of Eris - Vol. 3 Ch. 10 - Honesty's True Face

Dex-chan lover
Whenever a manga/anime gets really philosophical, I always have to wonder anything is getting lost in translation. No insult intended to the translators, but there's a lot of nuance in English, and I don't know the nuance in Japanese.

Constance's declaration of "by any means necessary," sounds like a prelude to tragedy. (As is often the case in real life when people go that route.) As a heuristic, I would suggest caution whenever you find yourself falling into tunnel vision, where one single thing outweighs all other considerations.

Statistically speaking, and depending on the prevalence of different child rearing styles, about half of people tend to internalize ethical behavior, and about half of people tend to behave ethically as long as someone is watching to keep them honest. Then you're left with some remainders who have no empathy and will happily lie, cheat, and steal without any remorse. The nobility probably suffers from having people in the [as long as someone is watching] category with no one in a position to keep them in check, but there does seem to be a somewhat higher than average concentration of totally remorseless people in this particular group.

Honesty is the courage to not fear the consequences of your actions, and the confidence to not regret your actions.

And a side note on consequentialism:
"It is possible to make no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life." - Picard

Bitch was a piece of shit and died like a piece of shit. The guy is even more of a piece of shit so I hope to see his demise soon.

Meo

Double-page supporter
Honest and foolish is completely different things.

Just because you are "honest" that doesn't mean you will be someone's guarantee. It just means you won't scam or cheat others, you won't lie. Not taking the money offered to him because the merchant's son cheated on his daughter was DUMB, not HONEST.

So there's a secret society trying to take over the world.

Constance's self awareness and willingness to look head on at her failures are her strengths. That monologue gave me shivers. Interestingly enough, I think Constance's father and Scarlet are similar types. Their right and wrongs are firm and they stand by their way of life no matter what. He refuses to consider practicalities even as people suffer. Scarlet refuses to downplay her impulses, as Lily Orlamunde advised her to, because she will not compromise her personality even at the cost of her own safety.

Even though Constance's values are more similar to her father's, she's the flexible sort that focuses on reality and the end result. Even from the beginning we can see from her thoughts that she's always been aware that what her father was doing was only hurting his family and their territory. She took it upon herself to sacrifice her innocent dreams of love to support her family financially, entering into a mercenary marriage. She also considered pretending not to have seen Neil's infidelity, inflicting emotional pain and enormous burden on herself in the process, to protect her family. As Constance says, her honesty was an attempt to avoid confronting the realities she sees. Constance's father's world is black and white. It's easy to live in. But Constance can see the complexities. She's always been able to. Just like she's always trying to understand Scarlet and see the best parts of her. Now she's simply learning to embrace living in the gray and struggling through an ever increasingly complex world where right and wrong are not so obvious. With her inclination to see nuance, take on new points of view, and focus on results, Constance has greater potential than even traditional villainesses to be corrupted or veer into the extremes of ends justifying the means. It would be an interesting concept to play with.

Users who are viewing this thread