The Politics Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
@Richman
I'm regretting being the accidental cause of reigniting this thread
Don't be. I once made a joke about some silly shit and a very popular youtuber posted it on their twitter, inciting a brigade. This one is cute in comparison.

The youtuber apologized after a couple of years.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
There is such as thing as "positive racism". Similar to the concept that some Asian students internalize that "they should be doing well in school because they are Asian". Just because a depiction could be positive doesn't mean it isn't racist.
POSITIVE RACISM??!! Dude, you're creating a concept that doesn't exist. You're mixing the meaning of the word racism with representation.

Racism
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.
"a program to combat racism"

Representation
the action of speaking or acting on behalf of someone or the state of being so represented.
"asylum-seekers should be guaranteed good legal advice and representation"
the description or portrayal of someone or something in a particular way or as being of a certain nature.
"the representation of women in newspapers"

Racism is the negative representation of a group of people.
Representation can be done in different ways, which can be negative or positive.

Racism is purposefuly negative, it is done to cause harm, to discriminate against others.

Dex-chan lover
@ColorfulSoy TotalBiscuit, rest in peace. He had issues with raging on twitter for some time, my incident was one amongst many.

Staff
Super Moderator
Just because a depiction could be positive doesn't mean it isn't racist.
That's not how it works bud, you can't say the depiction is positve and also racist (negative).

Dex-chan lover
Having had a chance to reflect on this discussion some more whilst washing my balls, it occurs to me there is something even more insidious going on with The_Pirate's stated position.

He has claimed that "minorities" (nevermind that he seems to include populations in majority in their respective countries), or more accurately to his position non-whites, are incapable of racism. His position seems to be that any bias they hold relative to themselves or other non-white groups is due to "internalized racism" or "internalized bias". In other words, they have (supposedly) subconsciously adopted beliefs (supposedly) promulgated by whites.

This seems to me to be a blatant case of infantalizing non-whites whilst holding whites up as superior. Indeed, according to The_Pirate's view it would seem that non-whites are universally incapable of making their own decisions about what they believe, and therefore are not responsible for beliefs, words, or deeds that would be considered racist if coming from a white. Indeed, to @The_Pirate it would seem that only whites are capable of making conscious decisions and therefore only whites are capable of responsibility.

In other words, @The_Pirate is a white supremacist.

Guess it's time to come clean, not really a blue-haired liberal, just someone that saw that @Halo was a piece of shit and wanted to shit stir. Looks like I did my job magnificently as not only him, but @Ceildric, @Richman, @ColorfulSoy, @Vipergg78, @sterven and @hazzack are also assblasted. Halo himself using "harassment" to describe the activity. Nice to see Poe's Law in full swing.

Pretending to be retarded to fuck with shitters can be fun occasionally. Have a blessed day as I sure fucking did.

@Richman
Positive racism as concept does exist btw. It's probably more well-known by the term "Benevolent Prejudice". A better example would be the stereotype that all niggers have giant dicks. Giant dick=good thing. Thinking all niggers have a giant dick=/=good thing. Will report my own post on the way out.

Supporter
@Vipergg78
Don't be man you just had shit luck on this one come join us in the shitposting thread it's the de facto gathering place for all the regulars. We crack jokes and shit on the staff I least I do.

@the_pirate
Of course not because if I did I'd be helping a WHITE supremacist and we wouldn't want that.

Also if you think that just because I didn't specifically name my ethnic background that makes me a WHITE supremacist then you seriously need medical help. If you're that curious about snoop around I've mentioned it before.

Dex-chan lover
6kGliTj.jpg

Staff
Super Moderator
Positive racism as concept does exist btw. It's probably more well-known by the term "Benevolent Prejudice". A better example would be the stereotype that all niggers have giant dicks. Giant dick=good thing. Thinking all niggers have a giant dick=/=good thing. Will report my own post on the way out.
Did you just unironically use the N-word?

Racism is the NEGATIVE prejudice against a person or a group of people that share certain traits. "Benevolent prejudice", guess what? It's also NEGATIVE on purpose, from wikipedia:
Benevolent prejudice is a superficially positive type of prejudice that is expressed in terms of apparently positive beliefs and emotional responses. Though this type of prejudice associates supposedly good things with certain groups, it still has the result of keeping the group members in inferior positions in society.[1] Benevolent prejudices can help justify any hostile prejudices a person has toward a particular group.[4]

Also, that example is another harmful stereotype, just like the "Asians must have good grades" one you said previously. Or back in the past when selling slaves, black people were said to be "good for work" and they were sent to the sugar fields.

@the_pirate

Dex-chan lover
oh shit we've been had!

can i do all the jokesplaining now?
wait, never mind. too bothersome

Dex-chan lover
So, a couple thoughts. I think the old el paso commercial and branding are generally racist (like a lot of "mexican" food branding in the US is). I think Halo made a shitty joke not realizing the racial connotations of it. I don't really think Halo is a racist, just that they didn't think about the "joke" all that much. I tend to align with The_Pirate in terms of being an intersectional ally (or at least trying my damnedest to be one). The_Pirate definitely made some mistakes in their arguments (like implying Hispanic was an ethnicity). Some of you are showing your whole asses to make edgy jokes in a politics thread. If there ever was a place to have serious discussion about bigotry on this site, this'd be it. I know this is the general forum, but we've already got a thread for shitposting. Let's not turn this into another one.

I'm just glad this completely buried the PragerU links, because that shit was hot garbage.

edit: well while I was typing this now I know why they made mistakes in their argument. They weren't genuine.

Dex-chan lover
@The_pirate better edit that shit, you don't mess with bestboy here.
in case you're wondering whether i'm joking or not, it's up to you.

see, moderated. that's because you mess with the bestboy.
don't mess with him, we all love that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread